Rigby "Big Game" Model in 450 Rigby

Aussie_Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Morning All,

It is Sunday morning and I should be out hunting but the good old tropical north wet season is still at it, we have had nearly 1 meter of rain in the last week! So instead of hunting I finally have some time to spend on this forum doing some research. Unfortunately I am not finding a whole lot of info on this subject so I am hoping there are some Rigby owners out there that can contribute?

I am very much considering a new Rigby "Big Game" model in 450 Rigby with a single square bridge and the traditional flag safety. There is a number of reasons I am leaning towards this particular model - calibre, brand (always wanted a Rigby), the Mauser 98 magnum action, barrel length, weight of the rifle (I like heavy rifles), I prefer bolt guns over doubles, availability of these rifles here in Australia and the list goes on. However I was hoping I could hear some opinions from Rigby owners on this model, what they do and possibly don't like about it, there could be something I haven't consider when it comes to purchasing this rifle.

So far the only slight negative I see is the single square bridge and not having the versatility of being able to mount a scope. Having said that I shoot reasonably well with open sights out to the 75-100 yard mark as I grew up using nothing but iron sights and this rifle will only ever be used out to 100 yards max anyway, in reality most of the work it would do will be only out to around 50 yards and under.

Any relevant info all you Rigby owners out there can contribute on this subject will be much appreciated.

I have owned a Rigby Big Game PH in .416 for about 3 years and have hunted with it a bit. Can’t say anything negative about it. I’m like you, I prefer a heavier rifle so weight does not bother me. I ended up going with the double square bridge so if I want to mount a scope in the future I have that option, but all my hunting so far has been with the iron sights.
What ever model you chose you will be happy with it.

I have owned a Rigby Big Game PH in .416 for about 3 years and have hunted with it a bit. Can’t say anything negative about it. I’m like you, I prefer a heavier rifle so weight does not bother me. I ended up going with the double square bridge so if I want to mount a scope in the future I have that option, but all my hunting so far has been with the iron sights.
What ever model you chose you will be happy with it.
What's the front bead like? I struggle with a really big front bead I feel it blocks out too much sight picture. Unfortunately I don't have the pleasure of going down to a local gun shop to check one out as the closest dealer with one of these rifles is a 3 hour flight from here. I did handle one at a shot show about 5 years ago and from the pictures I have seen the front bead looks good but hard to tell from pictures sometimes.

What's the front bead like? I struggle with a really big front bead I feel it blocks out too much sight picture. Unfortunately I don't have the pleasure of going down to a local gun shop to check one out as the closest dealer with one of these rifles is a 3 hour flight from here. I did handle one at a shot show about 5 years ago and from the pictures I have seen the front bead looks good but hard to tell from pictures sometimes.

I find the front bead good. Mines fitted with a 2.0mm gold bead. I find out to 100m it doesn’t block too much sight picture. I have 2 beads, one the standard round profile and the other filed flat at a 30deg angle to capture more light. I use either one depending on the type of hunt I’m on, and if I have the sight hood fitted or not.

I find the front bead good. Mines fitted with a 2.0mm gold bead. I find out to 100m it doesn’t block too much sight picture. I have 2 beads, one the standard round profile and the other filed flat at a 30deg angle to capture more light. I use either one depending on the type of hunt I’m on, and if I have the sight hood fitted or not.
Is that 2mm bead standard? Or is that a specific sight you requested? Anyway I might ask for specifics on the front sight next week just to make sure I know what is fitted.

A bit off topic but I do not like a bead I much prefer a flat post, but that is me.

I have handled several of the Rigby's. A mate has 2 and a couple in the shop. I am 6"2" and they fit me well. To me their Highland Stalker is way to heavy for a stalker. The others seem OK weight wise for what they are. That is just me. I do not think you will go wrong with one and the 450Rigby can be used out to 200mts no problem.

A bit off topic but I do not like a bead I much prefer a flat post, but that is me.

I have handled several of the Rigby's. A mate has 2 and a couple in the shop. I am 6"2" and they fit me well. To me their Highland Stalker is way to heavy for a stalker. The others seem OK weight wise for what they are. That is just me. I do not think you will go wrong with one and the 450Rigby can be used out to 200mts no problem.
For target shooting I can understand the flat post but for a quick snap shot at a charging animal- round bead is much easier. So in a smaller caliber, you may have a point but on a 450 Rigby, I think bead is the way to go.

My front bead is 3 mm brass (cos I just have a CZ 550 and not a Rigby !!). I have done the sums and that covers about 5" of the target at 100 m. I found the 2mm bead was a little small for fast work- I carry my rifle for school camps etc so not really hunting. And to be honest, I just tried a Vortex 1-4 scope with a red dot. On 1 that is very quick-two eyes open. So for hunting I would use that with QD mounts. So I guess I am saying buy the double square bridge and enjoy.

I have the Rigby Big Game in 416 Rigby and love it. Been practicing with it for a buffalo hunt in July. As for single square bridge/double square bridge, you said you might want the option of putting a scope on the rifle, why not buy the double square bridge model. You can shoot it with the iron sights until you decide on scope or no scope.

Is that 2mm bead standard? Or is that a specific sight you requested? Anyway I might ask for specifics on the front sight next week just to make sure I know what is fitted.
My vintage Rigby have a 2mm bead which is original. Works great, also on jumbos at night. Have another spare bead in the pistol grip also 2mm.

Great choice btw. Flag safety means that the gun is mainly for open sights and/or reflex sight use. I also prefer the flag safety over anything else when that is an option.
The Rigby quarter rib is far superior to the comparatively cheaper "express sight" and in my mind the best of all the other types of quarter ribs out there. The Rigby BG is a great rifle.

I have the Rigby Big Game in 416 Rigby and love it. Been practicing with it for a buffalo hunt in July. As for single square bridge/double square bridge, you said you might want the option of putting a scope on the rifle, why not buy the double square bridge model. You can shoot it with the iron sights until you decide on scope or no scope.
Only really looking at the single square bridge because of calibre, haven't completely ruled out a 416 which means the option of choosing a double square bridge model but really leaning towards the 450.

For target shooting I can understand the flat post but for a quick snap shot at a charging animal- round bead is much easier. So in a smaller caliber, you may have a point but on a 450 Rigby, I think bead is the way to go.

My front bead is 3 mm brass (cos I just have a CZ 550 and not a Rigby !!). I have done the sums and that covers about 5" of the target at 100 m. I found the 2mm bead was a little small for fast work- I carry my rifle for school camps etc so not really hunting. And to be honest, I just tried a Vortex 1-4 scope with a red dot. On 1 that is very quick-two eyes open. So for hunting I would use that with QD mounts. So I guess I am saying buy the double square bridge and enjoy.

I have to disagree. If using a peep sight then yes a bead will do. If using open sights a bead has to have the top of it in line with the top of V or U or blocking the bottom. A post is somewhat easier to get aligned in the correct position and you can still see around both side of the post your so your point of aim is not blotted out. I found it hard to hit where I wanted with the old 30-30 Model 94 with the bead. Put a peep sight on it and not a problem.

Mind you if you are brought up with the bead it I would think is far easier. I was taught to shoot with a square U rear sight and blade front sight. I still take way to long to get a consistent sight picture with open sights and a bead. Though an Elephant at 20 yards or less your not going to miss.

I am a big Rigby fan. My wife has a London Best in .275 and I have a Highland Stalker in 30-06. I love irons, but a scope is my primary sight. For me, the ability to use optics is a necessity for my aging eyes, especially during limited visibility. Both of our Rigby's have scopes in QD mounts with bolt peep sights as well as the classic express sights and 3 position flag safety. I often remove the scope on my Highland Stalker when stalking for deer or pigs. It is always very satisfying to stalk and kill an animal with the iron sights. I find the front bead to have more than enough precision for "minute of animal" at 100 yards or so.

My next Rigby will be a Big Game PH in 416 with the double bridge. Get what you want in your new Rigby. You will not regret it.

I went with the big game 450 rigby ph which is a simgle square bridge with the rigby peep sight for a bit of nostalgia and I love it. My big game 416 is scoped and the 450 therefore suits me for open sight hunting and backup duty.

If your ever down brisbane way your more than welcome to have a go with it before commiting to one.

Regards
Ismail

So far the only slight negative I see is the single square bridge and not having the versatility of being able to mount a scope.
I dont think that it is not possible to mount the scope on a single square bridge mauser..

Basically, the only reason not to mount the scope is not to break the integrity of basic design. But even that is very relative.

Pls check this thread:

I went with the big game 450 rigby ph which is a simgle square bridge with the rigby peep sight for a bit of nostalgia and I love it. My big game 416 is scoped and the 450 therefore suits me for open sight hunting and backup duty.

If your ever down brisbane way your more than welcome to have a go with it before commiting to one.

Regards
Ismail
Thank you that is extremely generous of you! Not planning on being down there anytime soon but that could change.

If using open sights a bead has to have the top of it in line with the top of V or U or blocking the bottom. A post is somewhat easier to get aligned in the correct position and you can still see around both side of the post your so your point of aim is not blotted out. I found it hard to hit where I wanted with the old 30-30 Model 94 with the bead. Put a peep sight on it and not a problem.

Not as I understand the use of open express sights. I simply get the round dot of the foresight to sit in the V as if it were a ball rolling to the bottom of the V. Then put the dot on your target and shoot.

I use normal open sights-post and u or V back sight exactly as you described but not the express sights on my large bore. I can use the express sight for more accurate work as well by using the top of the round bead to hold just under the intended target but lets be real, that is a bit like hammering a nail with a 20 pound hammer.

The sights on a big bore are not target sights, they are quick reaction snap shooting sights. Best plan in my opinion is a red dot followed by a red dot scope with a true 1x lowest magnification.

So after a lot of deliberation, I finally ordered this rifle! Should be here by the end of next week. Now time for some research into load development.
1637135334501.jpeg

1637135370566.jpeg

1637135401935.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg