Rifles and movies

Not about the guns but I always wondered who’s trophy room the last scene in “Roadhouse” was. Lots of East African animals?
Bruno Willy Scherrer of Los Angeles. Scherrer was a carwash magnate. He was also one of the world’s foremost big-game hunters. Due to his involvement with the North Carolina Museum of Natural History scandal, he is a convicted felon as well.

Source: Lost Angeles Times article, "Hunting Down the Hunters," Dec. 13, 1991.

Joe Kidd. Not about hunting, but the shot Clint makes on the "bad" guy towards the end of the movie I was just wowing over when I was a kid. From down in a valley to some guy way up on a ridge. The delay between the shot being fired and bullet impact and the way that was captured I've always thought was pretty cool.

And he uses a Ross rifle for that also.

So Among them all, Duvalls engraved scoped Sagage 99 ,the Ross,and other rifles there and handguns from Lc to the C96 make it one of the finest gun mixed movies of them all.

And Death Hunt after the Trapper is also one good also . The mix of Savage 99 ,.303, 30s and much more,

Even better is a episode i came across on YT i will link to, it shows the map of their route taken as the police officer in a 60's radio pogram tell about it. And on the google map one follow the huge distance they took through those months ,and of the last encounter they had also

Not particulary a huntin movie ,but it was a mystery that is not found out yet who he was.

King Solomon’s Mines ( 1950 ):
- Holland & Holland 8 Gauge Blackpowder Hammer Double Rifle
- John Rigby & Co. .400/350 Nitro Express Slant Box Mauser 98 Rifle ( anachronistic, because the film is set in 1897)
- Remington Keene .45-70 Government Tubular Magazine Rifle

Harry Black & The Tiger ( 1958 ):
- A Pair Of Westley Richards Droplock Ejector .375 Holland & Holland Magnum Double Rifles ( in the novel, Harry uses a James Purdey & Sons Sidelock Ejector in .500/465 Nitro Express, while Desmond uses a Double Rifle in .423 Mauser caliber )

It wasn’t a hunting movie but there is a pretty good selection of firearms in the Wild Bunch. Haven’t seen in a while but I remember 03 Springfields, 1897 Winchester riot guns, 92 Winchesters, colt peacemakers, 1911s, Mausers (1893’s In 7mm?) and a Colt potato digger or a Maxim (not sure what the machine gun was I guess). I’ve read that they shot more ammo making that movie than was fired in the whole Mexican Revolution.

Anything under the supervision of John Milius. He appreciates fine firearms and is meticulous in their use in movies. If you haven't seen them watch "Wind and the Lion" or "Rough Riders."

So how many here count the shots out of 6 shooters in movies?

In accurate firearms for the time frame doesn't bother me so much in the older pre 60's movies such as cartridge firearms where they only had cap and ball revolvers. But Winchester lever actions for the calvary in the 1860's and 1870's? With very few lever actions actually issued back then.

But for now modern movies have no place getting things wrong.

Do you know about other movies ?
There is inetrnet movie firarm database. (imfdb)
The database covers firearms used in movie.

For example, movie: The ghost and the darkness

Or movie: Saving Private Ryan:

etc
Not all older movies are covered, but all newer production movies are there.
Have fun doing research!

Also in video games Imdb have descriptions about. One very good one there " Red Dead Redemption 2" , mix all the westerns,noir, thriller,mob related and so out the mix it comes.

Only a couple gun questions is why they kept the Henry and Spencer levers in 1899 ,no m95 or 1886.

Sadly firm behind them became greedy too early in production,so they cut much out that would have been fascinating to have there.

Sorry to be late chiming in, but for the love of God, TELL US WHAT THE RIFLES USED WERE!! In Shindeler's List, the camp commandant uses a Mannlicher Schoenauer to shoot random jewish workers, but what type is that high, see under, scope mount? Fellas, could you go back and edit posts to identify the rifles?

Sorry to be late chiming in, but for the love of God, TELL US WHAT THE RIFLES USED WERE!! In Shindeler's List, the camp commandant uses a Mannlicher Schoenauer to shoot random jewish workers, but what type is that high, see under, scope mount? Fellas, could you go back and edit posts to identify the rifles?
I haven't seen the movie in a while, but a high, see-under scope on a Mannlicher-Schönauer? Surely that would have been a Weiner Schnappen Montage?

The Snows of Kilimanjaro

The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber

I never saw a film version of Macomber, but in the book a 6.5MM Mannlicher Schoenauer (which would be model M1903) was used on the hunt which proved fatal for Francis as his wife (accidentally?) shot him with it.

"Mrs. Macomber in the car, had shot at the buffalo with the 6.5 Mannlicher as it seemed about to gore Macomber and had hit her husband about two inches up and a little to one side of the base of his skull"

The Naked Prey (1966) Cornel Wilde

Trader Horn (1931) Harrey Carry

White Hunter, Black Heart (1990) Clint Eastwood

In White Hunter, Black Heart, there were scenes where 6.5MM Mannlicher Schoenauers (Model M1903) were purchased and used, per the dialogue.

Clint Eastwood, MS Take Down Model (notice forend pin):
MS White Hunter Black Heart Eastwood Takedown b.jpg

Muzzle appears to be larger than 6.5mm.
Could be M1905 (9x56), M1908 (8x56), or M1910 (9.5x57), all available in TD form.
MS White Hunter Black Heart Eastwood Takedown.jpg

Close up of MS Take Down - Note forend pin and lever at trigger guard::
MS White Hunter Black Heart.jpg

The film's plot was based on John Ford and his trip to Africa for the filming of The African Queen.

Photo of Huston during the trip with the Mannlicher Schoenauers he used:
MS Huston African Queen Mannlichers.jpg

Detail of above:
MS Huston African Queen Mannlichers (2).jpg

Huston holding one of the MS with Bogey, Bacall:
MS Huston cropped.jpg

Dersu Uzala

Russian movie set in the Far East of Russia in the 1920's.

Winchester 1895 and Mosin Nagants.

Plenty of wilderness, tigers and adventure.

A great movie.

Rod

Anything under the supervision of John Milius. He appreciates fine firearms and is meticulous in their use in movies. If you haven't seen them watch "Wind and the Lion" or "Rough Riders."
Wind and the Lion is one of my favorite movies, love everything about it. Teddy makes good use on the range at least of his Model 95 Winchesters.
Fantastic music score too.

Much to my chagrin, it was definitely a Mannlicher Schoenauer that was used in Schindler's List, which would be appropriate for someone of Amon Gothe's social status.

Scene from Schindler's List:
MS schindlers-list.jpg

Another:
MS Schindler's List 02.jpg

The above image does appear to show a Vienna Snapper type mount as indicated by Panzer.
High mounts were a necessity on scoped MS for bolt handle clearance with the MS' split bridge action.

Mounts used were of the 'Vienna Snapper' or claw mount types. My 1922 proofed M1910 Take Down Model wears a Gerard B scope on claw mounts, likely period 'aftermarket'.

Stoeger Catalog, 1939, showing 'Vienna Snapper' mount.
They weren't actually 'factory' installed, scope mounting was done by Steyr area guild shops:
MS ST39 51 Mannlicher Schoenauer details 03.jpg

Vienna Snapper:
MS Vienna Snapper 07.jpg

Claw Mount:
MS Claw Mount  Dorleac .458.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!