Rifle selection

That may be I have never dealt with one
But I had 2 MP21 bolt action 22's brought to me that were short chambered. No where to return them to. Also have Rem 799 (Zastava) in 22 Hornet that needs an extractor. Impossible to find. CZ much much better.

Ruger guy myself. I have model #1 in 300 win mag, 375 H&H and 458 Lott.
M77 Compact in 308 and 7mm08
M77 Guide Gun in 416Ruger
The only problem I have had with any of them is that the 458 kicks the hell out of you.
I also hear good things about CZ rifles.
I agree with you. I've had a Ruger M77 (tang safety) in .30/06 for the past 30 years, and have shot all sorts of PG with it. Its never let me down - and now my daughter uses it, and rolled her water buffalo with no problems at all! IMO I'd go for Ruger, CZ and then Zastava.

As for the 458 kicking the he'll out of you, I've heard its a characteristic of the Lott - similar to the reputation I've heard of the 375HH.

I agree with you. I've had a Ruger M77 (tang safety) in .30/06 for the past 30 years, and have shot all sorts of PG with it. Its never let me down - and now my daughter uses it, and rolled her water buffalo with no problems at all! IMO I'd go for Ruger, CZ and then Zastava.

As for the 458 kicking the he'll out of you, I've heard its a characteristic of the Lott - similar to the reputation I've heard of the 375HH.

No the 375 H&H is about like the 300 win mag......not really much kick!

Really - I was under the impression the 375HH boots like a mule.

Stock and stock design can make a big diff in perceived recoil. My Rem. 700 375 with factory stock is pretty stout but with HS Precision stock it seems less than my Rem 700 in 300 win. Have CZ in 9.3 X 62 factory that is very comfortable to shoot.

Stock and stock design can make a big diff in perceived recoil. My Rem. 700 375 with factory stock is pretty stout but with HS Precision stock it seems less than my Rem 700 in 300 win. Have CZ in 9.3 X 62 factory that is very comfortable to shoot.
True. I had my synthetic stocked 458 Win Mag Mk.X Mauser restocked with cast and a swept comb. The difference was like chalk and cheese!

This one is almost a twin of my 300 WM and honestly it doesn’t kick bad at all.
FE4E0172-27E7-4004-B02E-A0F823369F10.jpeg

This one is almost a twin of my 300 WM and honestly it doesn’t kick bad at all.
View attachment 213086
Nice rifle! Just love the way that block falls away to drop in a big cartridge! Something very satisfying in doing that!
I was just under the impression 375HHs were known for a hefty boot (same as for the 416 Rigby) but as mentioned, stocking has a fair amount to do with it too.

Here are the numbers comparing standard factory ammo ft lbs recoil between popular loads for 300 WM and 375 HH if fired from an identical 9 lb rifle.

180 gr 300 WM- 27.3 ft lbs
200 gr 300 WM- 30.6 ft lbs ... just to cover the "yabuts" :)
300 gr 375 HH- 43.5 ft lbs

No argument with your numbers. But it is the perceived recoil that affects us. Proper fit is as important with a rifle as a shotgun for the bigger kickers. Proper fit as well as the best cushion possible as well as the stock composition can greatly reduce perceived recoil. Proper fit can also make a huge difference in the control of your rifle for a 2nd and possibly very important shot. ie: muzzle lift vs rearward recoil. If you are going to shoot the BIG ONES you need to be as comfortable as possible to be effective on DG.

Several factors, first off the 375 H&H is typically perceived as more stout shove than the 300 wm which is "snappier". Slower moving bullets tend to have this characteristic vs. faster magnums.

My 505 Gibbs has more barrel rise and shove, but feels like less "kick" shooting a 600 grain bullet at 1900fps than a 525 grain at 2350. It actually hits 8" higher with the heavier and slower load. I'm told that is because I'm getting more barrel rise before the bullet exits the barrel... Sort of makes sense. Ballistics and rifle reaction are very interesting;)

And perception can mean a lot. After shooting a 505, a 375 does not kick much.

Many common 375 rifles will be a couple pounds heavier than most 300's. That makes a big difference, as well as stock design. Winchester M70 Express and CZ 550 are different but both designs help control recoil. And a 375 will typically have a heavier barrel profile, helping to hold them down. For example, a lot of 375 and 416 barrels may have the same outside diameter, thus less metal in the 416 as the hole is bigger. So that can compound the felt recoil of the all ready heavier hitting 416.

There some lightweight 375's that will kick the hell out of you. Such as the synthetic stocked Browning A bolt.

Finally with any big bore, you want to be holding on tight! Pull it into your shoulder pocket and get your cheek down tight to the stock. Have your scope mounted low enough. If you don't do this, they will slap you around. Hold her tight and she will slow dance with you;)

I have a safe full of Ruger guns and have never needed customer service. If a gun is cheaper than a Ruger ($900 .375 Ruger) I’d be suspicious about taking it on my African adventure! Yes I am a Ruger fan but also have lots of experience with them. CZ is a fine gun as well.
Wishing you well in your quest.
Philip

Timbo, a couple months ago a friend got a CZ-550 in .375 H&H. Neither of us had ever fired one before so we tried it out using 300 grain Winchester loads. We were very pleasantly surprised by the lack of hurtful recoil and it was indeed a shove instead of a rap. I would say it was on the order of a standard weight 20 ga. shotgun.

I have a safe full of Ruger guns and have never needed customer service
I am in the same boat here, never had a lick of problems with my rugers. (dozen +) Nothing against CZ or Zastava of which I own. If on a budget , get a hold of the monthly canadian access to firearms paper or get on gun nutz. Many medium bores don't get shot much ( safe queens) and can be picked up used at quite a discount .
just my 2 cents.
good luck have fun. (y)
Pat

Several factors, first off the 375 H&H is typically perceived as more stout shove than the 300 wm which is "snappier". Slower moving bullets tend to have this characteristic vs. faster magnums.

My 505 Gibbs has more barrel rise and shove, but feels like less "kick" shooting a 600 grain bullet at 1900fps than a 525 grain at 2350. It actually hits 8" higher with the heavier and slower load. I'm told that is because I'm getting more barrel rise before the bullet exits the barrel... Sort of makes sense. Ballistics and rifle reaction are very interesting;)

And perception can mean a lot. After shooting a 505, a 375 does not kick much.

Many common 375 rifles will be a couple pounds heavier than most 300's. That makes a big difference, as well as stock design. Winchester M70 Express and CZ 550 are different but both designs help control recoil. And a 375 will typically have a heavier barrel profile, helping to hold them down. For example, a lot of 375 and 416 barrels may have the same outside diameter, thus less metal in the 416 as the hole is bigger. So that can compound the felt recoil of the all ready heavier hitting 416.

There some lightweight 375's that will kick the hell out of you. Such as the synthetic stocked Browning A bolt.

Finally with any big bore, you want to be holding on tight! Pull it into your shoulder pocket and get your cheek down tight to the stock. Have your scope mounted low enough. If you don't do this, they will slap you around. Hold her tight and she will slow dance with you;)
Thanks for the ton of info! I've often wondered about the relationship between barrel rise, recoil and POI. My 458 in a ramline stock used to boot like an angry mule with a POI almost 4" higher than the aiming point. Restocked in timber with a internal keyed in bar, cast on and a swept comb - she now slow dances beautifully!! (Just LOVE that last sentence of yours!) (y)

In reference to recoil, I have an MRC in 375 H&H. My 300 gr handloads can produce over 2,6000 FPS. Pretty fast! The gun empty is right at 10 lbs. it does have a muzzlebrake. Recoil is very comparable to a 7lb 308. Simply a pansy to shoot.

Timbo, a couple months ago a friend got a CZ-550 in .375 H&H. Neither of us had ever fired one before so we tried it out using 300 grain Winchester loads. We were very pleasantly surprised by the lack of hurtful recoil and it was indeed a shove instead of a rap. I would say it was on the order of a standard weight 20 ga. shotgun.
Thanks! I'm happy to say you and the other guys on here have dispelled a misconception I've long held. Another little kink happily straightened! (y)

I have a safe full of Ruger guns and have never needed customer service. If a gun is cheaper than a Ruger ($900 .375 Ruger) I’d be suspicious about taking it on my African adventure! Yes I am a Ruger fan but also have lots of experience with them. CZ is a fine gun as well.
Wishing you well in your quest.
Philip
As I said here in Canada customer service sucks for firearms. I believe it took me 1-1/2 to 2 months to get a sight blade for a ruger mk3. It’s not ruger it’s the independent gunsmiths that they choose as service centers. Our firearms tend not to go to the states for service but a gunsmith services them and charges said manufacturer.

I needed a bolt head for a savage 10 and the “service Center” (which is different than the ruger one) here would not sell it to me unless I shipped them my rifle for them to install it. I ordered that from Brownells and did the install myself.

It wasn’t a complaint about ruger quality it was a complaint about who they choose to do service for them. As I stated I have no idea who does the cz service here and it may very well be just as bad or worse.

There can be a large difference in service from one service center to another as with any service center of any kind. But one reason it can take time to get a part(s) for a firearm is the US licensing regs reguarding export of firearms parts. As well most centers don't place an order until it is large enough to make it worth while. Then comes the issue of whether the manufacturer has the parts available and then they will ship them after their paper work is finished. As for a canter not sending you a specific part a lot of that falls under litigation. ie: if the original manufacturer ships a trigger or bolt head and you screw up they can be held responsible. If you screw up an after market piece it's your problem! Welcome to buracracy . As far as Ruger they are a very good firearm. That being said they are very strict as who they allow to work on their guns or even send parts. This even applies in the US. Probably has to do with the law suits from 30 plus years ago. Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!