Rifle rich and pistol poor...

+1 on the AR. With red dot. Plus white light attached.

There are many other pistols that I prefer to the Glock. That said, when I took a training class taught by the former Sgt Major for Training of 1st SOD-D aka Delta, he was using a Glock. When it comes to finding magazines at a reasonable price, nothing comes close to a Glock. If you want to modify it with different sights, different triggers, etc., Glock has more choices than anything else.
Was that class in Autryville at The Range Complex with Eddie?

I don't know why I try to fill every rifle niche in my arsenal, yet at the same time only own one pistol--a measly 380 Keltech! I really ought to remedy that, since I am far more likely to get charged by a felon than a Cape buffalo in the grand scheme of things. Well...I don't want to piddle around trading up along the way, so I ask: "WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND I GET TO CRY ONCE, BE DONE WITH IT, AND BE COMPLETELY SATISFIED?" (anything 45 cal. and down)

BTW, I want it to be ACCURATE
H K The only way to go.

Steve, we all have our own opinion on what is this best defensive hand gun for personal protection, and so here is my two cents. In my opinion when in a situation that involves stress or a quick decision the simplest and least complicated solution can offer the best resolution. I bought my wife and sister a Smith & Wesson air weight 38, it’s a hammerless revolver. There is no thought of is the chamber loaded, is the safety off, you point and pull the trigger. With regular practice a semi- automatic can have advantages over a revolver, I think the advantages can disappear quickly. If you ever have to shoot more than twice the situation will probably turn out bad. Hornady makes home defense rounds that will completely open up upon impact and not exit a target, these rounds will also expel a significant amount of energy in drywall so as not to pose a deadly threat to others in a dwelling. This Smith & Wesson revolver can be purchased with a laser sight built into the grip by Crimson trace, seeing a red dot appear on one’s chest can often lead to the fight being over and decrease the odds of having to take someone’s life. The hammerless option adds to a level of safety, since a cocked gun must be de-cocked. I have many handguns for various purpose, my favorite is a 45-70 BFR a real thumper, for self defense I would recommend a hammerless revolver. Good luck with your decision.

The main reason I recommend Glock is that is what I have found to be the simplest and most reliable pistol to operate in high stress situations. I have a decent selection to choose from and have shot a ton of different brands - each with their pros and cons. Glocks run in terrible conditions (mud, dust, dirt, water), fast to reload (love the 1911 but I’m slower than hell loading a mag in those) there are no safeties or decockers to mess with - find the trigger and you’re set. Most of my carry and house pistols (Glocks or a sig 365 for concealed) have an Olight mini on it - super lights and the best in my opinion. My nice pistols are holding down the safes - no one wants to have anything stolen, if it was one of my nicer pistols it would hurt much more than a $500 Glock.
Within reason, most any functioning pistol will work for what you want but I practice and train for the worst case scenario - who knows what that will be. Keep it simple (Glock) to remove as many possible problems from the equation before you start. This same argument could be made for a nice revolver - nothing wrong with that either, I like the smith 637 or 642 for carry and a 686 or 629 for the house.
And yes - I’m well aware of how ugly the Glocks are, they aren’t going to win any beauty contests…. You aren’t going to lovingly admire their beauty like a nice smith or colt, but I don’t buy them for that

Last edited:
I know a lot of bear guides in Alaska are going to Glock 20s. Reliability, dealing with the elements, etc. It's not the looks but the trigger that keeps me from buying one. I love my 1911's triggers. They worked in Korea and the Pacific, they'll work for me around town or hunting.

Any love for the hammerless .357/.38 revolver? Is there anything better for cold weather when both hands are warming in your coat pockets? Climate relative, but it gets my nod.
They are not accurate, short barrel heavy trigger...have one not my first choice.

If you don’t want to upgrade in the future take a long look at HK. The build quality is excellent. The FN FNX 45 is one of my favorites. It’s the highest capacity 45 on the market holding 15 rounds. Throw a red dot on it and a stream light and I feel pretty safe in my house. CZ makes some nice reliable pistols. Their shadow series is geared more for match shooting with how heavy they are but they are some of the sweetest shooting pistols out there.

They are not accurate, short barrel heavy trigger...have one not my first choice.
This is the area where such a firearm has its place. They are not accurate and the stiff trigger pull is in place of any other safety device. Ideal for a close encounter at close range.

Lots of great info--thanks, guys! BTW, my brother carries a five-seven by FN. Any opinions on that?

That would have too much recoil to recover from. Need to stick with the .25 Auto
There are critical defense rounds from Hornady that have both a fragmenting round to prevent an exit mishap and lower recoil for the next shot. Not really a reason for anything other then self defens.

Steve, we all have our own opinion on what is this best defensive hand gun for personal protection, and so here is my two cents. In my opinion when in a situation that involves stress or a quick decision the simplest and least complicated solution can offer the best resolution. I bought my wife and sister a Smith & Wesson air weight 38, it’s a hammerless revolver. There is no thought of is the chamber loaded, is the safety off, you point and pull the trigger. With regular practice a semi- automatic can have advantages over a revolver, I think the advantages can disappear quickly. If you ever have to shoot more than twice the situation will probably turn out bad. Hornady makes home defense rounds that will completely open up upon impact and not exit a target, these rounds will also expel a significant amount of energy in drywall so as not to pose a deadly threat to others in a dwelling. This Smith & Wesson revolver can be purchased with a laser sight built into the grip by Crimson trace, seeing a red dot appear on one’s chest can often lead to the fight being over and decrease the odds of having to take someone’s life. The hammerless option adds to a level of safety, since a cocked gun must be de-cocked. I have many handguns for various purpose, my favorite is a 45-70 BFR a real thumper, for self defense I would recommend a hammerless revolver. Good luck with your decision.
^^^^^THIS^^^^^
Unless you are going to shoot an auto on a very regular basis, take the time to test a variety of ammo to determine what feeds reliably, learn how to clear a jam or a stove pipe, learn how to draw and clear any clothing impediment, sleep with it, wait, not that one, become intimately familiar with it, you should carry a double action revolver with a concealed hammer/hammerless.
Semi-autos are great, if you are a regular shooter. Nothing beats a 1911 (I carry a Combat Commander .45 when the weather is cool enough for a jacket), but any semi requires a lot more practice to use with reliability. When it's warm, there's a Ruger LCR in a pocket holster in my shorts pocket, or a North American Arms mini revolver in 22WMR (under the any gun is better than no gun scenario).

I don't know why I try to fill every rifle niche in my arsenal, yet at the same time only own one pistol--a measly 380 Keltech! I really ought to remedy that, since I am far more likely to get charged by a felon than a Cape buffalo in the grand scheme of things. Well...I don't want to piddle around trading up along the way, so I ask: "WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND I GET TO CRY ONCE, BE DONE WITH IT, AND BE COMPLETELY SATISFIED?" (anything 45 cal. and down)

You really need to fix that deficiency in arms. A Mares Leg in 45LC would sorta be a compromise that works with the open carry these days :rolleyes:

1664083157444.png

If it doesn’t need to be concealable, the highest quality pistol I can think of is an H&K MK23 SOCOM. That’s a helluva 45 cal that was built for the SBS and SEALs. Crazy accurate. Can shoot underwater. Big enough to actually aim the thing.

If you want a bit smaller, a nice, classic 1911 military 45 is a nice gun. If you want more pizazz there are a hundred high-end builders of reimagined modern 1911s too.

If you’re old school and want a wheel gun, the new Colt Python 357s are pretty good. If you might hunt with it or carry it on Western / Alaska hunts for bear protection, I believe they have or soon will re-release the Anaconda. If you want to spend more and get even better, you can buy an original Python or Anaconda.

My Les Baer custom 1911 "Boss" is so great, I've stopped shooting most of my other handguns, selling some. I've added a crimson trace laser grip to mine.

I like Les Baer, but most custom 1911s are great and can be tailored to your needs.

20160302_200431.jpg

This is the last time I will waste my time here.
DON'T LISTEN TO THESE GUYS!
Go to a big gunstore, or two or three, and feel all the pistols they have.
NOBODY is making shit handguns these days, at least in the names you've heard of.
The one that feels right FOR YOU is the one you need. Not the one I like, not the one ANYBODY likes.
Pick it up, shut your eyes, raise it to ready position, if you're looking down the sights, that's your gun.
Send me $6 for the advice, and quit reading all this crap.

First, +1 to those that have suggested stopping by a well stocked gun shop and handle a number of different guns to see how they feel. Second, many public shooting ranges have guns for rent; try out a few and see what you like. If you're looking for a semi-auto I suggest you check out a CZ 75. There are a number of variations from full size to a more compact model. Great quality, all metal, no polymer, excellent reputation for reliability, accurate, and the grip is one of, if not the most comfortable, on any semi-automatic you can buy.

Best regards,

I’m guessing that you’re not much of a handgun shooter …and that your gun is unlikely to get used much. If so; then go for a revolver. .38 special or 357 Magnum. S&W would be my go to brand.
If you’re going to use it occasionally and keep her clean; and change over the magazines occasionally (IE…. You’re not going to leave a loaded magazine in the gun for years at a time) then get a Glock. 9mm or 40 ….
If you ever move to Alaska and need bear protection…buy the biggest bloody revolver you can find and get decent health insurance .
Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idahocougs89

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!