Rifle rich and pistol poor...

You can’t really do better than a Glock 17 for safety, dependability, firepower and accuracy. At least, that is what the operators of Delta Force decided about 2 years ago when they ran new trials to decide what to replace their Berettas with. They narrowed the trials down to a Sig (229 IIRC) and the Glock 17. Majority voted for the Glock as the new service pistol.

Those guys all literally shoot lots of bad guys with handguns, and every operator has more experience with handguns than any of us will ever achieve, so I think their decision is the last word on the subject.

One final thought…. The choice of handgun for Delta is very literally a life & death decision, they chose the Glock 17 for situations where they have to survive close quarters combat without using their rifle, which I’d always their first option.
Mostly Glock 19’s but ok

They’ve also fielded G22 and G23 in significant numbers over the years…

That unit is in constant T&E mode on all equipment.. and continually changing gear (to include weapons) based on mission requirements and preferences…

That unit is in constant T&E mode on all equipment.. and continually changing gear (to include weapons) based on mission requirements and preferences…
That is true as well. I’m a “former” 18D.

That is also true. I am a “former” 18D

Doc!

Pm sent

If I were to buy a 9mm, it would be a Glock 17. Unlike now, back in the day, the available bullets for the 9mm had a lot to be desired. I still carry my Glock 22 going on 17 years and have no complaints with it. I DO like my Glock 29 though for CCW.

To once again quote Clint Smith, "I'm an old guy and I like my old gun".
My 1911 has served me well for a goodly while now, if I'm not carrying it , it will be a round gun in a more potent chambering. For large furry creatures rather than 2-leggers.

If I were to buy a 9mm, it would be a Glock 17. Unlike now, back in the day, the available bullets for the 9mm had a lot to be desired. I still carry my Glock 22 going on 17 years and have no complaints with it. I DO like my Glock 29 though for CCW.
With the 19x and the 45 available, I see no need to have the extra barrel length. The GSSF competition seems to uphold that the shorter Glocks are more accurate.

If I had to buy a Glock I would look hard the 45, it seems to about right to me in every way. I just hate the grip angle and won’t take the time to get used to it. There are other good options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.