Rifle for daughter

Find a rifle that fits her first and go from there. My wife had a Savage Ladyhunter that fit her very well, but to each their own.

6.5x55, 270WIN and 7x57 would all be great starters and useful well into adulthood.
+1

The Savage Lady Hunter has the best stock of any rifle for women. My gal Tina just found one in .223 to add to the .257 Roberts she already has. Every woman that I have seen that was able to try the Savage Lady Hunter, chose it over everything else. Tina got hers through the Savage Custom Shop, and they are willing to do most any caliber that will work in a short, or long action. Her barrel is also 2 inches longer than the factory Lady Hunter. Savage had it ready in just over 3 weeks.

+1

The Savage Lady Hunter has the best stock of any rifle for women. My gal Tina just found one in .223 to add to the .257 Roberts she already has. Every woman that I have seen that was able to try the Savage Lady Hunter, chose it over everything else. Tina got hers through the Savage Custom Shop, and they are willing to do most any caliber that will work in a short, or long action. Her barrel is also 2 inches longer than the factory Lady Hunter. Savage had it ready in just over 3 weeks.
I disagree. I have tried and do not like them at all. I have tried Lady Hunters and also Camillas.

I think it comes down to what is comfortable, but in my experience, just because it is made for women, does not mean all women like them better.

I disagree. I have tried and do not like them at all. I have tried Lady Hunters and also Camillas.

I think it comes down to what is comfortable, but in my experience, just because it is made for women, does not mean all women like them better.

Words to heed from someone who has been there and done that!

For something off-the-shelf-ish, 7mm-08, especially if you roll your own.

175 gr in 7mm is, imo, the very best bullet you can put in any animal. Even at a modest 2500 fps MV, that gives you about 300 yards of >= 1500 ft lbs of energy

That's what I do for my daughter, and the missus seems to have begun taking an interest - Paritition, Grand Slam, Hornady, SGK. I think they would all be excellent.

So.....why go to a short action if she is already handling the 30-06?

A Springfield sporter can be a nice shooting ‘06 CRF, if you look around. My wife really enjoys shooting mine, and she’s 5’6”.

Also, leaves something in the budget for glass.

My daughter has found the joy of hunting this past year and am looking to purchase her a rifle. Her hunting experience is limited to taking an Impala in the Eastern Cape with a 30-06 and a whitetail with a .45 cal muzzleloader. She has also shot a .243 from the bench since then. I offered to let her hunt with .243, but she insisted on using her grandfather's 30-06 as she liked shooting the outfitter's, which was a custom rifle built on a K98 action. Would you all have any suggestions on models to consider? I want something that is CRF and am not opposed to purchasing a used rifle and modifying the stock if needed. She is just shy of 5'-8".
If you are not using it. Let her use her grandfathers 30-06. Nothing replaces that connection

Another vote for 7mm-08. My daughter has used hers on mule deer and even elk cows without a single issue. Recoil is mild and definitely lots of versatility with hand loads.

With no offense meant…

What I mean to say and believe I did is to find a rifle that fits her, then offered the example of my wife liking the Savage Lady Hunter. Keep in mind this was her decision, as I was ready to have a full custom rifle commissioned.

I’m a fan of rifles that fit and are reliable. If they are pretty to the buyer, that’s a bonus. As I recall the Savage wasn’t a particularly good looking rifle. She’s much happier with her Blaser R8 Intuition that was also designed for women.

Having a rifle that fits properly will reduce perceived recoil vs one that doesn’t. If a person isn’t sure if they have a good fit or not, they should seek the advice of a professional who does.

With no offense meant…

What I mean to say and believe I did is to find a rifle that fits her, then offered the example of my wife liking the Savage Lady Hunter. Keep in mind this was her decision, as I was ready to have a full custom rifle commissioned.

I’m a fan of rifles that fit and are reliable. If they are pretty to the buyer, that’s a bonus. As I recall the Savage wasn’t a particularly good looking rifle. She’s much happier with her Blaser R8 Intuition that was also designed for women.

Having a rifle that fits properly will reduce perceived recoil vs one that doesn’t. If a person isn’t sure if they have a good fit or not, they should seek the advice of a professional who does.

No offense taken at all. :) I was just offering my perspective as well.

I agree with you that proper fit is important. I personally find them ugly, however Bob and I own some guns that are quite ugly IMO.

After another shoulder injury, the gun I purchased to take to Africa the first time was a Tikka youth model 308. It is not pretty by any means but it was comfortable for me to shoot and worked.

No offense taken at all. :) I was just offering my perspective as well.

I agree with you that proper fit is important. I personally find them ugly, however Bob and I own some guns that are quite ugly IMO.

After another shoulder injury, the gun I purchased to take to Africa the first time was a Tikka youth model 308. It is not pretty by any means but it was comfortable for me to shoot and worked.
Sorry to hear about your shoulder and hoping for your speedy recovery.

I’m surprised that Tikka made the grade considering how light they usually are. Sometimes that translates to being a little snappy. I love the Tikka rifles, especially the upgraded SAKO versions. Would look pretty good on you with a nice timber stock. ;)

Apologies to Bob for being a bad influence.

Both my daughters shoot .30-'06 with "standard length" stocks and do well with them. Biggest factor is setting up a scope for proper eye relief. Nothing wrong with .308, .270, or any of the classics. '06 us just what I made available to them when they started, and we made sure recoil was manage with good shooting form and position.

I’m surprised that Tikka made the grade considering how light they usually are. Sometimes that translates to being a little snappy.
I agree with this concern completely. The availability of small frame rifles, and shotguns, too, is fun these days, but I get concerned for potential recoil when I see manufacturers putting muzzle brakes on .308's and even 6.5 CM's. Small and light can end up being a handful off the bench.

30-06 and 308 both worked great for me during my younger years being great.
The 30-06 is a rigby its heavier but the 308 is a kimber a great off the shelf flat shooting rifle very little weight and very little recoil di numerouse hunts with mine around the world.

A Winchester M70 FWT or a Ruger Hawkeye in something like a 270 up through a 30'06 would never be a mistake. They are both affordable, strong, reliable CRF rifles and your daughter could hunt her lifetime with either. Good luck with your choice.

Limiting to CRF really hurts your options. There are plenty of very reliable push feed rifles.

I'm a big fan of the stuff Bergara has been putting out. It's discontinued, but the Premier Highlander, is an exceptional value in my opinion. You may still be able to find one in stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Declan4098

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you