Rifle for daughter

There are myriad sporterized Mausers in .30-06 sitting in racks at gun stores and pawn shops for reasonable prices whilst the sons of their owners shoot the latest plastic-stocked wonder caliber.

Is there a reason you desire a CRF when your daughter has been shooting and likes the Remington 700? By far, the Remington 700 action, or its clones are the most common rifle action produced. Nothing else even comes close. They are lighter, cycle easier, have a faster lock time, are generally more accurate, and are extremely reliable. I don't think you could find a serious competition precision rifle shooter who shoots anything but a 700 clone. They dominate these disciplines for a reason. I have nothing against a CRF action, in fact I am building a 416 Remington using a CZ 550 action now. I have a 7x57 Mauser action rifle, with the action "donated" by a German soldier who met an American 30-06 bullet before his "donation." Until their latter days, the Remington rifles were generally all great shooters. It is a shame they deterorated at the end, but you can still find many lightly used older Remington 700's in great shape, and they have what is likely a very good LOP for your daughter at 13.5 inches.

can someone please help me understand what the fascination with short actions is? You are talking overall length of the rifle of a little over 1/2” with the same length barrel an a couple of ounces additional weight. Unless you are shooting benchrest quality firearms and ammo, the supposed accuracy edge of the short action will never be realized, if it actually has an edge at all. I prefer the versatility of a standard length action and the extra powder capacity of the rounds chambered in them. I just don’t get the short action argument for hunting arms.

Is there a reason you desire a CRF when your daughter has been shooting and likes the Remington 700? By far, the Remington 700 action, or its clones are the most common rifle action produced. Nothing else even comes close. They are lighter, cycle easier, have a faster lock time, are generally more accurate, and are extremely reliable. I don't think you could find a serious competition precision rifle shooter who shoots anything but a 700 clone. They dominate these disciplines for a reason. I have nothing against a CRF action, in fact I am building a 416 Remington using a CZ 550 action now. I have a 7x57 Mauser action rifle, with the action "donated" by a German soldier who met an American 30-06 bullet before his "donation." Until their latter days, the Remington rifles were generally all great shooters. It is a shame they deterorated at the end, but you can still find many lightly used older Remington 700's in great shape, and they have what is likely a very good LOP for your daughter at 13.5 inches.
Who said she liked a 700? Where did I miss that? I saw CRF in post 1. What did I miss? I saw she likes Grandpa's rifle.
So let it be written, so let it be DONE.

My daughter was fourteen when she called for her own rifle. I offered her a .222, but she said, "I want a real rifle!" So I asked her, what is a real rifle? ....and she said, a .30-06!!!
So I bought her a use Ruger M77 left hand, and she is happy with since then.

HWL

This little custom Mauser 30:06. I’m selling in the classifieds would be a nice contender. Short overall length with a 21 inch Shilen barrel. Shoots one ragged hole at 100 yards.
Comes with a peep site and Warren scope mounts. Timney trigger, model 70 three position safety.
IMG_3881.jpeg
IMG_3879.jpeg

I will recommend a Ruga NXG It’s good with small hands and budget friendly. Fast reload and all that so how about you start from there..

Who said she liked a 700? Where did I miss that? I saw CRF in post 1. What did I miss? I saw she likes Grandpa's rifle.
So let it be written, so let it be DONE.
If you go to the first page, you will see the father identified the rifle her daughter likes as a 1960's era Remington 700.

The most important thing is to get a rifle that fits HER, given the height of 5'8" and your preference of CRF I would point you towards a Winchester Classic or feather weight in 30-06.

Her preference for the 30-06 is good news for you, since all the new cartridges have people looking down their noses at the geriatric 30-06..... no matter how capable or classic it is, has left many 30-06 rifles lingering on the consignment shelves of gun shops and forums alike.

Modern choice I would suggest either a M70 Classic stainless or a Ruger M77MKII Stainless

Vintage - I bet you could find a pre-64 M70 30-06 for very reasonable money given it's the most common chambering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bafoyo4859

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.