AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
Namibia, R.S.A., Alaska, Idaho, Wyoming, Michigan, Missouri, California, Florida
So, I have a question to throw out about Delta Airlines - I have a double rifle case that I like to use, but it goes over the baggage size limits of 62" (l + w + h). Reading their special baggage section on firearms I see nothing mentioned about extra charges for this over-sized case, except the last line - if you have have more than one. Has anyone out there flown Delta LATELY with a double case over 62" and what was your experience? Below is Deltas firearms baggage rules......

Shooting Equipment

Shooting equipment is allowed as checked baggage only. It must fit within the very specific criteria that we outline below.

• Declare to the Delta representative that you are checking a firearm.
  • Declare the existence of a firearm to security personnel if there's a security checkpoint before the Delta counter.
  • All firearms must be declared by the passenger to a Delta representative at the main ticket counter.
  • Present firearm(s) unloaded and sign a "Firearms Unloaded" declaration.
  • Firearms must be packed in a locked manufacturer's hard-sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard–sided gun case or a locked hard-sided piece of luggage. Handguns may be packed in a locked hard-sided gun case, and then packed inside an unlocked soft-sided piece of luggage. However, a Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case.
  • Maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit.
  • Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges.
  • You are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with all Federal, State or local laws regarding the possession and transportation of firearms. For more information about this regulation you can visit the TSA websiteopens in a new window.
  • If you are transporting a firearm to the United Kingdom, a permit from the United Kingdom is specifically required. You must contact the United Kingdom for more information about securing this permit.
  • Until further advised, passengers departing Brussels, Belgium are not allowed to check weapons including, antique, sporting, hunting or toy rifles in their checked baggage.
  • Customer must be 18 years of age or older
  • All firearms checked as baggage must be picked up at the Baggage Service Office upon arrival at your final destination. ID will be required to claim your checked firearm.
The following types of ammunition are not accepted:

• Gun powder; such as Pyrodex or Black Powder
  • Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles
  • Ammunition, including case, exceeding 11 pounds (5 kg) gross weight per passenger
Pistols and accessories must be included in one case and contain:

• Pistol telescopes
  • Noise suppressors
  • A small pistol tool case
  • No more than 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition, including case
Rifles and shotguns must be packaged as follows:

• One hard sided case containing up to four rifles, shotguns, shooting materials, tools
  • The case must completely secure the firearm from being accessed. All areas designed to be locked must be locked.
  • Locked cases that can be easily opened are not permitted. Be aware that the container the firearm was in when purchased may not adequately secure the firearm when it is transported in checked baggage.
  • One hard sided case containing up to five handguns, one scope, tools
  • One bow and quiver of arrows and maintenance kit enclosed in a case or container strong enough to protect the bow and quiver from accidental damage
  • No more than 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition, including case
An excess baggage fee will apply if checking more than one gun case.

Mine is like many over the limit as well, but I suspect rifle cases get a pass unless its just ridiculously obvious that its way oversize. If its close its probably GtG. Last time I flew some clown got on the plane with a carry on that was bigger than he was! He was a shrimp and couldn't get it up into the bins, so he asked me to do it! I don't know how he ever got it on the plane!

I don't know about a gun case with 100% accuracy, but our bow cases are oversized, and we didn't get dinged on it either way. Granted we did ensure to stay under the weight limit, which from my extensive research (aka googling) that is where they in a twist about things.
I also think some of it depends on the ticket agent whom you deal with when checking bags, and their mood of the moment. I think you can also stay in their good graces sometimes by being within your baggage limits, for us that was two checked bags per person, and we only had 3 checked bags for the both of us (two cases and one actual rolling luggage bag).

Last edited:
I don't know about a gun case with 100% accuracy, but our bow cases are oversized, and we didn't get dinged on it either way. Granted we did ensure to stay under the weight limit, which from my extensive research (aka googling) that is where they in a twist about things.
I also think some of it depends on the ticket agent whom you deal with when checking bags, and their mood of the moment. I think you can also stay in their good graces sometimes by being within your baggage limits, for us that was two checked bags per person, and we only had 3 checked bags for the both of us (two cases and one actual rolling luggage bag).

Yes, if you read their rules, there should be no charge, unless you have more than the allowable bags - 2 in my particular case. I believe my rifle case is about 68-70" if I remember right. The last time I went I bought smaller single gun cases and took the barreled actions out of the stocks so they fit in the cases. That was okay, but I would prefer using my double case this trip. I will say that aside from having to pack a torque driver along for reassembly, having 2 smaller cases was great for traveling. Although it was 2 bags checked instead of one for the same 2 guns in transit. Always, pros and cons! As you said, the check in agent has a lot to do with it. I am always wearing my best smile when I step up to check in!

I googled the interior dimension of my bow case is 62", so the exterior is probably 66"+. I printed straight from delta the info stating archery cases were "exempt" since they were sporting equipment, but my husband wasn't too thrilled with the idea of me starting a stink with the delta gate agent. Thankfully I didn't have to, and she just let them through. I feel like being there early enough, & being polite & respectful can go a long way in helping your cause, but it's also good to have the money on hand to pay if they do ding you for it.

I can't imagine "breaking down" my rifle to fly. The thought of that alone would stress me out.

My SKB double case is 53x18x7" outside and holds my 7mag with a 26"bbl and my 375HH with a 24" bbl easily. I've flown American, Delta, Southwest, United and SAA and never been questioned about size. Might be you got an a---hole as an agent playing the bigshot.

My SKB double case is 53x18x7" outside and holds my 7mag with a 26"bbl and my 375HH with a 24" bbl easily. I've flown American, Delta, Southwest, United and SAA and never been questioned about size. Might be you got an a---hole as an agent playing the bigshot.

Yes, my double case is about that size and I have used it before with no issues or charges, it has just been a few years since it has been with me and I wondered after reading their rules what others had experienced recently. Thanks for your input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg