Rifle case set up

This is perhaps a really dumb question but on the Pelican 1700, is it necessary to cut the foam? I tested it with my Browning X-Bolt and the case closes with the rifle sandwiched in between the factory foam just fine.
 
This is perhaps a really dumb question but on the Pelican 1700, is it necessary to cut the foam? I tested it with my Browning X-Bolt and the case closes with the rifle sandwiched in between the factory foam just fine.
Probably not 100% necessary, but it does relieve the stress placed on the back hinges and front latches. Hate to have it pop, especially on the backside.
 
Probably not 100% necessary, but it does relieve the stress placed on the back hinges and front latches. Hate to have it pop, especially on the backside.
What he said ^ if you were going with just a lone rifle in the case and or maybe just hauling it in your truck it would probably be fine, however if you have the case pretty full and then add in the abuse of bagage handling then its not a bad idea to make it as easy on the case as possible.
 
This is perhaps a really dumb question but on the Pelican 1700, is it necessary to cut the foam? I tested it with my Browning X-Bolt and the case closes with the rifle sandwiched in between the factory foam just fine.
If you don’t cut the foam out to match the contents, the contents will move around in the case.

A sharpie marker and an electric carving knife make for an easy process to cut out your foam. Foam replacements can be ordered too, so multiple configurations are possible.
 
Really appreciate the input guys. Seems like most hunters elect to cut the foam.
 
Cobra Foam has replacement foam at a reasonable price for extra pieces
 
Do you guys run all 4 locks on your cases? I have a set of 4 that all use the same key and I wondered if 2 on the rifle case and two on the ammo case was sufficient or should I just buy another set for the ammo case and run the full set on both cases?
Nice job, nice rifles. If you have the space the rifle case is a great place for expensive binoculars. On the locks I would definitely go with the four locks. Remember TSA staff are the same people that confiscated Joe Foss's U.S. Medal of Honor (later returned) because it had sharp points. They did keep his Medal of Honor lapel pin.



The rifle case is prepared. I left space for a future extra barrel, bolt and trigger mechanism. I really think this double rifle/blaser combo is the way to go as far as getting the most firepower in the smallest and easiest to transport package. I cut a thin piece piece of foam to sit on top of the blaser barrel to prevent any up and down movement.
 
Cobra Foam has replacement foam at a reasonable price for extra pieces

Much appreciated. I did not know the bottom foam (possibly the top) was two layers and you just have to cut the top layer completely through.
 
@HookMeUpII - If you need replacement foam, look for PE foam (polyethylene). It looks like this...
1676487620061.png

Much better than the foam that Pelican sends with the case.
 
Two things. Make sure the rifle and/or component parts are secure within the closed case because there is a near 100% chance it will get knocked around, vigorously. And, make sure that it is easy for inspectors to do their thing and re-situate the rifle and/or parts to the their correct positions after they are finished. Recommendations based on theoretical yadayada and not experience are worth what they are worth.
 
Last edited:
I think all the relies are good advice, I had my rifle arranged in the case with the serial number up, nobody in the US or Africa took the gun out. They just glanced at it and said "that was easy".
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,309
Messages
1,572,417
Members
169,565
Latest member
LoreneDand
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top