Rhino bullets for dangerous game (375 H&H)?

They dropped the 350gr as the 340gr and 380gr perform so well. The 340gr solid shank and 340gr brass solid make a formidable pair for mixed bag and dg hunting. In my 500 I load the brass solid with 1 gr less powder for same velocity.....obviously you would have to work up your own loads
IvW, what bullets do you use in your .375 Holland & Holland Magnum and .500 Jeffery for lion ?

Not aware of a 330gr Rhino solid shank.

In 375 they are availible in 235, 250, 270, 300, 340 and 380 gr in solid shank.

In brass meplat solids it is 300gr and 340gr in 375
Correct. Fingers in first gear, brain still stuck in neutral.

Yes, by internet order.
Swift a frames, cannot be found anywhere.
With swift a frames, I have about 100 rounds, more then enough for next safari, but I need to plan for the future.

Occasional training done with PPU SP, easily available.
Its a no brainer. They are unreal.

They dropped the 350gr as the 340gr and 380gr perform so well. The 340gr solid shank and 340gr brass solid make a formidable pair for mixed bag and dg hunting. In my 500 I load the brass solid with 1 gr less powder for same velocity.....obviously you would have to work up your own loads
Not challenging in any way, but the load varies so much based on bullet type and manufacturer. Barnes TSX for exp recommends a fps of max 1920 with a much lower load than solids. For Solids they increase the load significantly and bumps the fps to almost 2200.

Yes, by internet order.
Swift a frames, cannot be found anywhere.
With swift a frames, I have about 100 rounds, more then enough for next safari, but I need to plan for the future.

Occasional training done with PPU SP, easily available.
I have found PPU SP to be excellent,in all ways. Infact that what my 9.3 is sighted, very underrated but very capable and kills, and kills effectively.

I have found PPU SP to be excellent,in all ways.
I will not deny this.
I am sure that on plains game they will work well in 375 HH and in 9.3. Not only for plains game of Africa, I can assume the same for animals of northern hemisphere as well.

However, I havent seen positive reports on their performance on dangerous game.

Generally speaking, partition type of bullet, bonded bullet, or monolithic bullet (expansion or solid) are modern ammunition for DG.
PPU RNSP is actually soft point bullet, with round nose. Fair enough, but also this is not a premium type.

PPU has in their line of production also a bullet GROM, a form of expansion monolithic bullet. But, I just dont have feedback on this in DG performance.

And planning for future DG hunt, I prefer to stick to DG proven bullet types.

IvW, what bullets do you use in your .375 Holland & Holland Magnum and .500 Jeffery for lion ?
340gr solid shank and 570gr solid shank will be testing the 600gr soon.

They always expand and make great pettals.....

I still have some 300gr I use for pg but wont replenish them when they are finished

I will not deny this.
I am sure that on plains game they will work well in 375 HH and in 9.3. Not only for plains game of Africa, I can assume the same for animals of northern hemisphere as well.

Generally speaking, partition type of bullet, bonded bullet, or monolithic bullet (expansion or solid) are modern ammunition for DG.
PPU RNSP is actually soft point bullet, with round nose. Fair enough, but also this is not a premium type.

PPU has in their line of production also a bullet GROM, a form of expansion monolithic bullet. But, I just dont have feedback on this in DG performance.

Mark, a little off topic question:

Have you recently seen any PPU brand 173Gr soft points for the 7x57mm Mauser in your neck of the woods ?

I am old school so proper controlled expansion to 2.5x caliber that stay together at velocities from 2200 to 2400 fps have always been the best.

For dg you will find that somebody said in excess of .30 sd is good for dg.....well they where right but try around .330 sd and get back to me......

The high sd of .458 500gr bullets is the only reason it can somehow still hang in there......I know I dont like 458 wm....

My story.....

Have you recently seen any PPU brand 173Gr soft points for the 7x57mm Mauser in your neck of the woods ?

No, but simply because I dont have 7x57 caliber and I was not paying attention.

Quick search shows they are on stock in local shop. 2.15 eur per round.

1709828785508.png

I will not deny this.

Agreed, even for large plains game Giraffe, Big Eland bullet deformation and or deflection may occur if you hit the big bones. So, not recommended for DG, but excellent for thin skinned animals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamesDet

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.