Review - United flight from Newark to JNB

I flew this flight for the trip I just got back from. They didn't charge to check a firearm, the plane is fantastic, services in business class were average, food was barely average. Getting firearms and rechecking in Newark was an unmitigated cluster F. I had 3 hours between flights and if not for another extremely helpful hunter going out of his way to help me, I would have missed my connection for sure. I know there were several/many others on my flight that missed connections because of the bullshit process United has in place. I should probably wait until I am less pissed off before writing a review about it.

I flew this flight for the trip I just got back from. They didn't charge to check a firearm, the plane is fantastic, services in business class were average, food was barely average. Getting firearms and rechecking in Newark was an unmitigated cluster F. I had 3 hours between flights and if not for another extremely helpful hunter going out of his way to help me, I would have missed my connection for sure. I know there were several/many others on my flight that missed connections because of the bullshit process United has in place. I should probably wait until I am less pissed off before writing a review about it.

You just answered my questions! Thanks and sorry you had issues. Think I will stay with Qatar.

You just answered my questions! Thanks and sorry you had issues. Think I will stay with Qatar.

Again, I am still worked up about it, so take that into account. If you would like the full rundown of the process, let's connect this week. There many be a workaround in the future, but my experience was very poor. I would rather deal with a 2 hour fueling stop in Cape Town on Delta, then have to spend 3 hours dealing with customs and United staff in Newark.

Question for those that have flown this flight.
Are firearms checked from originating city all the way thru to Johberg?
On the return do you have to clear customs, claim bags and guns and recheck on to final destination? Or are they checked thru to final destination?

Trying to decide if I want to try this flight or stay with Qatar from Houston for next trip. Clearing customs in Houston then driving home was so easy this last trip.
I'm just curious, what is the total amount of travel time difference between flying to Newark then going United to Jo'burg, or With Qatar and going through Dubai? I am guessing you would go through Dubai.

I am sorry you had this experience, you just made my mind up that I will just use the outfitters rifle. It is my 14th trip, I will not be shooting anything I will have mounted, rather I am going for the experience. I do not need the stress of taking a gun over for this particular hunt.

I'm just curious, what is the total amount of travel time difference between flying to Newark then going United to Jo'burg, or With Qatar and going through Dubai? I am guessing you would go through Dubai.

Qatar goes thru Doha. For me the United flight would be about 6 hours quicker. But the hassle of having to claim guns and luggage outweighs that when I can clear customs get guns and go straight home in Houston. Qatar business was great this last trip and clearing customs at home was too easy.

I am sorry you had this experience, you just made my mind up that I will just use the outfitters rifle. It is my 14th trip, I will not be shooting anything I will have mounted, rather I am going for the experience. I do not need the stress of taking a gun over for this particular hunt.

I really like having my own rifles, but every trip I get closer to just not taking my own. This last trip, the rifles the PH's had were all very nice quality, great glass and they all hand loaded their own ammo. I saw one PH drill a wounded Kudu at 480 with his rifle.

Qatar goes thru Doha. For me the United flight would be about 6 hours quicker. But the hassle of having to claim guns and luggage outweighs that when I can clear customs get guns and go straight home in Houston. Qatar business was great this last trip and clearing customs at home was too easy.
6 hours of additional flight time is nothing compared to what Yancy dealt with. And Covid testing is bad enough to deal with!!

I was also on this flight. The firearms process in Newark is absolutely horrible.

Is the problem on Uniteds end or US Customs?

When I returned 6 years ago through Dulles all my problems were with customs, other than United not having a plane at the airport to get me back to Denver for 6 hours.

It took me over three hours to go through CBP and then TSA with guns coming back from JNB. The issue is with TSA.

CBP inspects your guns then gives them to TSA via the United baggage handlers. They asked us to give them the locks and they would lock the guns after TSA did their inspection. TSA pulled out everything and in my case they did not lock the case. I stood outside TSA until the bags came out and then had an issue with TSA when I wanted to lock my case.

With my gun case and ammo case they tried to place it on the wrong aircraft and never made my flight. It arrived at my home via a baggage delivery service hired by United. I was told by TSA and United they were hand carrying the bags to my plane.

Newark never again.

Horror stories about guns at Newark go back decades.

We returned in late June through Newark.
1) made it through customs in 45 seconds with global entry
2) waited 30 min for gun cases to arrive and two workers carried approx 15 gun and rifle cases to be checked.
3) waited 25 min for them to match my serial numbers and 4457. (TSA)
4) waited for all rifles to clear (entire plane not just our group) which was another 20 min
5) walked through airport back to entrance of Newark
6) unlocked all the rifle cases and watched them wheel them away for another TSA check
7) 40 min later, they wheel them out for us to lock again
8) same agent TSA takes us through to baggage check where we couldn't check our rifles with our luggage
9) then finally we got to the gate--and jus before we boarded the plane they called all our group to pre check the flight because we had weapons.

we landed at 5 am (nearly an hour early) it required almost 2 hours and 25 min to simply recheck our items. we were told it was different than ATL because of 911 concerns in New York and New Jersey...
The flight over and back was fantastic--the garbage in Newark is awful--and fixable but they have no desire to change...

Does anyone have any idea how difficult it is to just take ammo over and use the outfitters gun? The outfitter has ammo as well, I was just thinking I would rather take my ammo. If it is a big hassle, I will just use his, figured it was worth a shot asking. Thank you in advance to anyone have knowledge on this issue.

Does anyone have any idea how difficult it is to just take ammo over and use the outfitters gun? The outfitter has ammo as well, I was just thinking I would rather take my ammo. If it is a big hassle, I will just use his, figured it was worth a shot asking. Thank you in advance to anyone have knowledge on this issue.

I believe that if you do not have a gun with you taking ammo in is not allowed

We returned in late June through Newark.
1) made it through customs in 45 seconds with global entry
2) waited 30 min for gun cases to arrive and two workers carried approx 15 gun and rifle cases to be checked.
3) waited 25 min for them to match my serial numbers and 4457. (TSA)
4) waited for all rifles to clear (entire plane not just our group) which was another 20 min
5) walked through airport back to entrance of Newark
6) unlocked all the rifle cases and watched them wheel them away for another TSA check
7) 40 min later, they wheel them out for us to lock again
8) same agent TSA takes us through to baggage check where we couldn't check our rifles with our luggage
9) then finally we got to the gate--and jus before we boarded the plane they called all our group to pre check the flight because we had weapons.

we landed at 5 am (nearly an hour early) it required almost 2 hours and 25 min to simply recheck our items. we were told it was different than ATL because of 911 concerns in New York and New Jersey...
The flight over and back was fantastic--the garbage in Newark is awful--and fixable but they have no desire to change...

Same for me, except it took 3 hours to compete the same process for me.

Booked for September 4th. After reading the horror stories I'm glad that I'm not traveling with my own rifles. As much as I enjoy hunting with my own rifles it just isn't worth the hassle. My outfitter waived the rifle rental fee so I'll only have to pay for the ammunition used.

Sounds like a royal PITA. I wonder if United understood that hunters will be using this flight when they decided to use Newark as the Port of Entry? Probably didn't think that one all the way through.

Are firearms checked from originating city all the way thru to Johberg?
On the return do you have to clear customs, claim bags and guns and recheck on to final destination? Or are they checked thru to final destination?

Yes, you will be able to check your firearms all the way to J'burg.

All international arrivals go through customs at FIRST port of arrival and then check your luggage back in to the final destination. For firearms that also means another TSA check after customs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheAngloPrussian

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.