Review - United flight from Newark to JNB

I flew from Johannesburg to Newark yesterday. Everything went smoothly, but takes a long time. All guns and bows must be checked by customs. They really appeared to be trying, nice agents, but one told me they struggle with rules and processes change every few days. My advice is leave four or five hours. There was maybe 15 hunters and everyone has to get through customs before they move your guns to be checked in again and the customs piece was over two hours.

Reactions: JHT
I was to fly to SA on Sept 14, return Sept 24, United wrote me last night and canceled my return flight home. So today, after being on hold for 1 hour 34 minutes, I just canceled the entire ticket. Not sure what I will do! I feel for all SA safari outfitters!! Can anyone who has flown United this summer tell me how strict they are with wearing masks. I know, you are required to wear them, I am just curious if they had some walking about the cabin specifically looking for mask violations!!

I flew this route two weeks ago. On United mask were absolutely mandatory.

Anybody been through Newark with rifles lately? My neighbor booked through Newark on United without Gracy or TWG or any agent. It's his first time to Africa. I am trying to help him.

I don't think that I could get any worse or any better for that matter than the reports that have been made.

Refer to my post in Before and After the hunt…traveling thru Europe post dated March 12, Full details on my personal experience flying United thru Newark with a rifle. Could not have been treated better or more professionally in a timely manner, just inform the Customs agent at the station you are passing thru to clear customs that you have a firearm to clear. They take care of it from there.

I'm taking that route in July, I'll probably get to the airport four hours early in case something goes wrong but I think I'll get there in the end lol.

Refer to my post in Before and After the hunt…traveling thru Europe post dated March 12, Full details on my personal experience flying United thru Newark with a rifle. Could not have been treated better or more professionally in a timely manner, just inform the Customs agent at the station you are passing thru to clear customs that you have a firearm to clear. They take care of it from there.
Glad to hear it went smoothly.

I'm in JoBerg now.

Checked the rifle in at Raleigh Durham and they checked all the way through to Johannesburg. The only hiccup was a temporary loss of 3 gun cases on the same flight and about an hour delay in Joberg. United's fault or Joberg airport... I don't know.

Bottom line is that the rifles are now in the gun safe at Africa Sky Hotel and , after a night's rest, we are off to PE and then hunting

Correct me if I’m mistaken…As long as you check in your rifles at a connection before arriving in Newark for the flight to JNB, have all the necessary paperwork & don’t leave the airport…you should be Fine. (What about suppressed rifles?)
On the return, it’s obvious… AVOID EWR as POE or go to Jail. I’ll go through Houston IAH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PWA703

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.