Resurrecting the 270 Win

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by Alexandro Faria, May 13, 2019.

1. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Elite

something went wrong with my previous post and not all of it downloaded.
    however it was basically what paul said about the 7x64.
    the 7x64 is an absolute ballistic twin of the 280.
    bruce.

2. sierraone

sierraone AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
    From my understanding, Jack O'Connor made the .270 and Al Biesen the standard in their fields. Biesen also built O'Connor a M70 .375 HH for his African hunts. It was on display at DSC a few years ago.

Velo Dog and Mekaniks like this.

3. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    Hmm. I own all three. No animal on the planet is so nuanced in its perception to know which of the three hit him. And there really is no difference between the .280 and the 7x64 - it certainly doesn’t “hit” any different - regardless how wild the night was. And the the .270 will do just as well. As your last sentence notes, it is the projectile - - and the shooter behind the stock.

Hogpatrol, Velo Dog and Saul like this.

4. WAB

WAB AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    LOL, you should probably retire it to my gun safe and find something more appropriate

Steel Candy, ZG47, Saul and 1 other person like this.

5. Mekaniks

Mekaniks GOLD SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI, South Africa- Northwest Province
    Yes sir that's correct. Biesen built several rifles for O'Conner and his wife Elenor. .270, 7x57, .375 and others. I stopped at the Jack O'Conner museum in Hells Gate a few years ago. Jack and Elenores original Biesen rifles, and other rifles, are still in the custody of the O'Conner family, but are displayed at the museum and special events from time to time, like DSC.

sierraone, Velo Dog and Red Leg like this.

6. Velo Dog

Velo Dog AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member.
    Hunted:
    South Africa 3 times, Namibia 2 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.

Red Leg likes this.

7. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    No argument at all Paul. And I trust you noted my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek with regard to the .375. ;)

Not surprisingly, my first deer was taken with a .270 - these things have a way of making an impression. And with regard to modern factory rifles, you are likely correct - they all now use the same contour and the 30-06 can actually end up lighter than a .270 in the same model from the same manufacturer. An abomination by the way, but the state of mass production and influence of bottom lines. But in a custom built rifle ……….

And were I hunting where I might be dodging something larger than coyote, I would be carrying more rifle as well, and an 'o6 is not a bad choice at all. Wednesday my son and I head up to BC for spring black bear. I'll tote along my 9.3 Sako, and he'll have his .376 Steyr. Both are more than are needed for black bear, but the area is teaming with grizzlies.

But I have a petite little custom .270 built on an Argentine action in classic British stalking rifle livery that might just turn your head...……

Best. Joe

8. Dr Ray

Dr Ray AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    I’m on my fourth 270
    Love them.

Velo Dog and Red Leg like this.

9. sgt_zim

sgt_zim AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
    Hunted:
    Texas, Louisiana
    "Arbitrary" being the key word.

Oh well. Politicians gonna politic. What they say goes, because they've got dudes with badges and guns making sure what they say goes.

Velo Dog likes this.

10. Red Devil

Red Devil AH Member

Video/Photo:
    After shooting the same push-feed M700 BDL .270 Winchester for well over 3 decades...

[​IMG]

Finally got a CRF hunting rifle. An FN/Winchester M70.

[​IMG]
    ...also in .270 Winchester.

Red

Attached Files:

ZG47, Saul, CoElkHunter and 1 other person like this.

11. YancyW

YancyW GOLD SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, RMEF, Ducks Unlimited
    150gr A-Frame @ 2990 fps kills deer and hogs just the right amount of dead for me.

Steel Candy and Velo Dog like this.

12. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Fanatic

BTW. I thought I read on one of the AH posts, that someone hunted "camels" in Australia? Was /is / could that be true? Maybe I was mistaken on the country? Thanks.

13. JPbowhunter

JPbowhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Yeah there's apparently over 1 million camels in the outback. Can't think of the blokes handle on this forum but he uses a 9.3x64 I believe.

TN Traveler likes this.

14. Ryan

Ryan AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    The 270 Win is definitely alive and well. Economics and it's track record prove it. If it weren't Savage wouldn't make an Axis II in left handed in it. And Sako wouldn't put it in most if not all their versions of a model 85.

15. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Fanatic

OK, thanks. That's one of beautiful things about this AH forum. One can learn many things about another country he/shes' never been to, especially as it relates to hunting game animals. When I mentioned hunting camels in Australia to my wife, she thought I was crazy! Crazy maybe, but not yet insane! There is a difference! Anyway, I would love to see a photo of the "mythical" 9.3x64 cartridge. I can find (and buy) 9.3x62 and 9.3x74 cartridges, brass, etc., here in the states, but NOTHING x64? Maybe it's like Pheroze's .400 and .465 h & hs and Unicorns? They maybe exist, but not many people have seen them? Ha!Ha!

16. Velo Dog

Velo Dog AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member.
    Hunted:
    South Africa 3 times, Namibia 2 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.

Hi again Joe,

Yes of course your trust was not wasted on me, as the humor is not only noted but welcome as well.
    Yes, no doubt that custom build on a 1909 Argentine Mauser action would get my attention.
    The chap I mentioned who had trouble with the follow up shots on a zebra has one that I’d love to own.
    It’s properly done on a small ring Husqvarna action and is not only cute as a bug’s ear and light as a feather but, will put 3 A-Frame 140 grainers into tiny clusters from the bench every time.
    The wood is Bastogne and of the most beautiful feather crotch type grain, simply stunning.
    I’ve shot it and it’s a real peach.
    He has a Leupold 2-7x for glass on it.
    If it was a 7x57 or a 7x64, I’d have tried very hard to swindle him out of it by now, lol.

In regards to your impending hunt this Wednesday, I wish you two the best of luck.
    The 9.3 and .376 should be very fine black bear getters, even if a grumpy old grizzly has to be dealt with as well.
    We will expect a full report of course.

If I ever make it down to Texas, we shall have to speak of such things at great length.
    If however, you and your wife get to talking to my wife about what fun it is to be eating over-priced and under-spiced food, among the mobs of tourists in Rome, ..... please excuse me while I chugalug my drink, then frantically point to my empty glass and in a loud tone, slur out the words “keep ‘em comin’ “

Until then, all my best
    Paul.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Red Leg likes this.

17. sierraone

sierraone AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
    Joe, good luck on your latest trip to B.C. Hope your son has as much luck as you have had there in the past!

Red Leg likes this.

18. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Elite

that description could apply to me.
    bruce.

19. JPbowhunter

JPbowhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    That would be correct mate!

20. jeff

jeff AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    There was a time here in the states that the 270 was a great all around gun, mule deer, and elk but now the bullets apparently just bounce off if you don't have a 300 ultra mag.