Resuming shooting after Surgery..

soumya sarkar

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Two weeks ago I had open heart surgery. I feel very fortunate, and I am thankfully on the mend. My doctor says it will take 6 to 8 weeks for full recovery. The sternum needs time to heal, like any broken bone. I am curious if any members have had similar surgery, and what their experience was returning to shooting. Right now, the thought of shouldering my 470 nitro is a little frightening. Any others with their own experience? Thanks!

I havent had my chest cracked.. but, I've dealt with a few pretty significant injuries over the years and a few surgeries..

My best recommendation.. is be patient, and take it slow.. fully commit to whatever physical therapy routine you are prescribed..

I'd guess in 6-8 weeks shouldering a .270 would be no issue as long as you properly care for yourself in the interim..

I'd likely wait a bit longer before hitting the sticks with the .470 though if it were me... I'd work my way back up to it casually... If that's 10-12 weeks... or 12-16.. who cares... just make sure you're fully healed and in a position to actually enjoy the experience rather than suffer from it by getting in a hurry..

First off - congratulations on surviving! :)

I had my chest cracked and triple by-pass on February 18 (following a heart attack and a stint on Dec31).

My surgeon said wait 3 months before doing any shooting. My Cardiologist got me enrolled in an extensive PT/exercise program at about 10 weeks. This part is really important, IMO. This went on for 3 months.

I started shooting the 6.5 CM, 308 & 22 on June 7 - so I gave it almost 4 months and started with the light stuff. Was doing dry-fire practice well before however, (as soon as I was OKed to lift 10+ pounds).

Started back with the 9.3x62 (my largest bore) on 8/1/22. 8 rounds of 250s from the sticks - I was a little sore in the chest that night. Next outing - with the 9.3, was 10 days later with no issues.

I've been running 300 gr A-Frames (plus some 286s) since 9/1/22 and feeling really good. :) I'm shooting two days per week and hiking 2.5 to 3 miles the other 5. Health and state of mind continues to improve, btw.

I'm headed back to Africa June 2023 (Lord willing), and will turn 74 while I'm there.

So my advice is use your own best judgement, but don't be in any rush with that 470.

BTW, the pic below shows what I was working on this morning (at 50, 75 and 20 Yards).
It's good to be alive...
Buff Target setup 09-2022.jpg

First off - congratulations on surviving! :)

I had my chest cracked and triple by-pass on February 18 (following a heart attack and a stint on Dec31).

My surgeon said wait 3 months before doing any shooting. My Cardiologist got me enrolled in an extensive PT/exercise program at about 10 weeks. This part is really important, IMO. This went on for 3 months.

I started shooting the 6.5 CM, 308 & 22 on June 7 - so I gave it almost 4 months and started with the light stuff. Was doing dry-fire practice well before however, (as soon as I was OKed to lift 10+ pounds).

Started back with the 9.3x62 (my largest bore) on 8/1/22. 8 rounds of 250s from the sticks - I was a little sore in the chest that night. Next outing - with the 9.3, was 10 days later with no issues.

I've been running 300 gr A-Frames (plus some 286s) since 9/1/22 and feeling really good. :) I'm shooting two days per week and hiking 2.5 to 3 miles the other 5. Health and state of mind continues to improve, btw.

I'm headed back to Africa June 2023 (Lord willing), and will turn 74 while I'm there.

So my advice is use your own best judgement, but don't be in any rush with that 470.

BTW, the pic below shows what I was working on this morning (at 50, 75 and 20 Yards).
It's good to be alive...
View attachment 492389

Glad to hear you are doing well! Where did you get that target??

@375er

Safari Press had a sale on them in July. Worth it a full price, though.

Lord be praised that you made it. Start shooting smaller calibers and work your way up. Take breaks between shots. Wear a heavy padded jacket.

Remember, if you're alive ... You can always shoot again, one day or another. If you're dead, you can't do anything you want.

After surgery like that it could be 6 months or more before you will want to take on a .470. As said above, listen to your body.
Do you have experience or just speaking

I havent had my chest cracked.. but, I've dealt with a few pretty significant injuries over the years and a few surgeries..

My best recommendation.. is be patient, and take it slow.. fully commit to whatever physical therapy routine you are prescribed..

I'd guess in 6-8 weeks shouldering a .270 would be no issue as long as you properly care for yourself in the interim..

I'd likely wait a bit longer before hitting the sticks with the .470 though if it were me... I'd work my way back up to it casually... If that's 10-12 weeks... or 12-16.. who cares... just make sure you're fully healed and in a position to actually enjoy the experience rather than suffer from it by getting in a hurry..
Today at my 6 week check up I was told that I’m free to do what I want including a trip to Africa. I feel fine but rather wait a bit before shouldering my 470

That is excellent news @soumya sarkar !

You'll be shooting that 470 again in no time.. and you've got plenty of time to get some physical therapy and physical training in.. as well as plenty of time to get practice in with some smaller calibers before the May-August time frame when most of us are getting on planes and headed to Africa for a hunt..

Sounds like your recovery is going well so far!

While your doctor has said 6-8 weeks for full recovery, I suspect he meant in terms of just getting about doing everyday stuff. If you haven't already done so, it might be good to discuss with the surgeon the specifics of how soon to get back to firing high recoil calibers. Remember, recoil comprises both a push and a shockwave. To make an engineering analogy, lots of joins can withstand push but may be vulnerable to shock

While your doctor has said 6-8 weeks for full recovery, I suspect he meant in terms of just getting about doing everyday stuff. If you haven't already done so, it might be good to discuss with the surgeon the specifics of how soon to get back to firing high recoil calibers. Remember, recoil comprises both a push and a shockwave. To make an engineering analogy, lots of joins can withstand push but may be vulnerable to shock
I asked the surgeons nurse practitioner specifically about hunting and rifles. She handles all the post operative stuff on behalf of the surgeon.
anyway no firing before at least 3 months....maybe longer depending on how rehab goes and I feel.

Reactions: cls
I asked the surgeons nurse practitioner specifically about hunting and rifles. She handles all the post operative stuff on behalf of the surgeon.
anyway no firing before at least 3 months....maybe longer depending on how rehab goes and I feel.
Recovering from right shoulder replacement on 12 September. He did a half ball where he removed half of the humerus ball and screwed a metal plate to it that matches the socket. Also removed some bone spurs and sewed the rotator cuff back together. I was admitted at 0800, went into surgery at 1000, into recovery at 1200 and on my way home at 1700.

They had me in an immobilizer sling for a month and into rehab at 6 weeks. Had a follow up at 6 weeks and the doctor said "Phenominal." No meds after two days and not overly painful. Not even a Tylenol. I had my third rehab session yesterday and the therapist said "Phenominal." I have about 90% range of motion and am working on building strength and more range of motion.

This is number five so I have a pretty good idea of what I can do at what stage. I cheated and started movement and light exercise at four weeks so I got the jump on rehab.

The therapist said I can resume bowling by Thanksgiving, but with a light ball for awhile. Shooting light caliber by then (.22, 223). We'll play those by ear for awhile and see how it goes.

I am glad you are back doing what you love.
It will take some relearning for sure but with dedication you will get the hang of it. best wishes.

I had two disc replaced in my neck, it was a year before I started shooting a rifle again. It was a miserable year! All the BS that had to transpire before surgery, no way I was going to risk it.

Like other said, do you PT, listen to your body.

Good luck and happy you are making!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MitchelMcE

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!