Restore or let her ride??

Chukar

AH enthusiast
Joined
Mar 6, 2018
Messages
487
Reaction score
833
Location
Wy'east
Media
2
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Member of
SCI DSC
Hunted
USA, Namibia
Hopefully some of the more intelligent members here can help me out...

I just purchased a Colt Officers model in .38 Special with a 6" barrel. Manufacture date is around 1926.

The wood is in nice condition to my untrained eye. Some wear, but for a 100 year old revolver, pretty nice.

Metal is about 50-75% by my judgement. Slight to moderate pitting on the external metal.

Action seems to lock up nicely.

The question is, do I keep it in it's current condition or a full polishing and cold rust blue?

Hopefully post a few pictures in the next few days.
 
Generally speaking, collector value is for the unaltered gun, which is how I would keep it. But, if you are going to use it and not concerned with the bid it will bring at your estate's auction, then go ahead and make it look new.
 
Polishing and rebluing tends to soften edges and stampings. It is noticeable from across the room so is considered a no-no by most knowledgeable collectors or serious buyers. I think at most I would just take some fine steel wool with light oil and rub out any active rust. And clean, flush and re-oil the internals and leave it at that. Then shoot and enjoy.
 
Thanks guys,

I'll keep the item as is, with just a little bit of rust abatement and enjoy as it was presented.

I really wish that I had younger eyes, those dark sights are hard on my vision these days.
 
Thanks guys,

I'll keep the item as is, with just a little bit of rust abatement and enjoy as it was presented.

I really wish that I had younger eyes, those dark sights are hard on my vision these days.
From 15yds and in, you only need to use the front sight!
 
I would have to see the gun, pitting is the killer of collectable guns btw...If you had it rust blued and honed, not polished to keep edges square and holes from being washed out, it would probably add to the value, not hurt it.....I don't care what collectable gun you own, its all about condition as to the real collectability...Many time a properley restored collector brings big bucks, ask Turnbull about that, his restored guns bring mucho dollares...So approach this subject carefully..
 
Why no photos?
 
I will try to post photos in the next week. Thanks for the replies!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,314
Messages
1,572,612
Members
169,593
Latest member
PFCAbigail
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top