Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI DSC
Hunted
USA, Namibia
Hopefully some of the more intelligent members here can help me out...

I just purchased a Colt Officers model in .38 Special with a 6" barrel. Manufacture date is around 1926.

The wood is in nice condition to my untrained eye. Some wear, but for a 100 year old revolver, pretty nice.

Metal is about 50-75% by my judgement. Slight to moderate pitting on the external metal.

Action seems to lock up nicely.

The question is, do I keep it in it's current condition or a full polishing and cold rust blue?

Hopefully post a few pictures in the next few days.

Generally speaking, collector value is for the unaltered gun, which is how I would keep it. But, if you are going to use it and not concerned with the bid it will bring at your estate's auction, then go ahead and make it look new.

Polishing and rebluing tends to soften edges and stampings. It is noticeable from across the room so is considered a no-no by most knowledgeable collectors or serious buyers. I think at most I would just take some fine steel wool with light oil and rub out any active rust. And clean, flush and re-oil the internals and leave it at that. Then shoot and enjoy.

Thanks guys,

I'll keep the item as is, with just a little bit of rust abatement and enjoy as it was presented.

I really wish that I had younger eyes, those dark sights are hard on my vision these days.

Thanks guys,

I'll keep the item as is, with just a little bit of rust abatement and enjoy as it was presented.

I really wish that I had younger eyes, those dark sights are hard on my vision these days.
From 15yds and in, you only need to use the front sight!

I would have to see the gun, pitting is the killer of collectable guns btw...If you had it rust blued and honed, not polished to keep edges square and holes from being washed out, it would probably add to the value, not hurt it.....I don't care what collectable gun you own, its all about condition as to the real collectability...Many time a properley restored collector brings big bucks, ask Turnbull about that, his restored guns bring mucho dollares...So approach this subject carefully..

Why no photos?

I will try to post photos in the next week. Thanks for the replies!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross