Remington 700 Dangerous game build?

Friend of mine guided brown bear for years with a Remington 700LH Custom Shop .375. Thats all there was at the time somewhat affordable for a lefty working man. A current bear guide/outfitter here in SE Alaska uses a rusty push feed post ‘64 model 70 in .458. A picture of that model is in the dictionary next to the word junk.

I think the weak spots are the bolt clearance and trigger. The PRS guys like Triggertech. I guess they work well in the muck, some of the other aftermarket’s do not. If the bolt clearance is too tight (accuracy snobs run them really close), the elements will bind them every time.

Like others have said, I wouldn’t do it, but there are similar rigs around that get the job done.
Yes, I think I know the bear guide in SE that you refer to. Dale is one of my closest friends and we have hunted and guided with each other many times in AK and CO. He is a heck of a guide but we definitely disagree about his rifle. It hasn’t failed him and it shoots well, which gives him confidence, which is very important in our line of work. He didn’t realize the differences in rifle actions when he bought it years ago and since it hasn’t failed him, he is sticking with it. However, I think a lot of people on this website know of my CRF preference for DG and I’ve probably been too forceful about it. As a client, CRF is of less importance but as a guide, I will always carry a CRF action rifle.

My apologies. I don't mean to be crass but the 700 is a very capable action. I'm not sure there is any component quite as important as the shooter. This 2.5 inch sighter was shot 8 times from 1,000 yards with a 308 built on a 700 action. I would love to see a blaser do it. If the OP can shoot he will do just fine with his 700 if that's what he prefers. View attachment 448327
The issue is putting EVERY available advantage on your side for DG and what a Remington or any rifle will do for accuracy at longer ranges has absolutely nothing to do with a short range DG rifle build. Some people, like Potterfield, just like Remington 700s because that’s what they have or are used to shooting. That’s fine but if talking about the ULTIMATE best setup for a purely DG rifle, give me CRF every time and I will shoot the rifle enough to get comfortable with it.

In 2014 while we were in Mozambique, my hunting partner and his PH were charged by an unwounded buffalo in high grass at VERY close range. The buffalo took the PH down and was goring him. My friend shot the buffalo off of the PH. Although rare, this does happen occasionally. Best to stack every available advantage in your favor if you have the resources to build or buy a rifle properly setup for DG. Sure, 99% of the time it doesn’t matter but it’s the 1% that is important. I have been charged by brown bears and a gut shot elk. Glad I’ve had properly built DG rifles with me just in case. Perhaps a PF would have done fine but not taking any chances.

Last edited:
Arguments like this make me think of how much the 358 Norma Schultz and Larsens are lusted after in the Yukon by people that hunt bears, moose and bison.

Cult rifle of the Yukon.

Push feed as well.
MY son has one of the Newer Schultz & Larsons in 9.3x62 & a 30/06 extra barrel its push feed, its a beautifully built rifle.
IMG_1079.JPG

CRF vs push feed reminds me of something I read as a teenager;

Sometime back, probably around 1974 or 5, I enjoyed reading Skeeter Skelton in Shooting Times. Skeeter had a long running debate with another famous gun writer Jeff Cooper, if memory serves me. Someone correct me it I get this mixed up...

Skeeter was a proponent of revolvers. Jeff Cooper, founder of a famous shooting academy, was a proponent of semi automatics, particularly the 1911. At that time to have a almost totally reliable semi auto took some fancy gunsmithing.

Both Skeeter and Jeff had monthly columns in which they would debate revolver vs semi auto.
Skeeter would close his column with "I'll take a revolver, you can take your chances."

In both my Marine Corps and post-military careers, I frustrate my peers and supervisors in that I Plan for the worst, and hope for the best. Although frustrating to peers, when missions or projects are executed without delays or other problems, my anal attention to detail was and is appreciated!

Applying the same logic to critters that may end up hunting me, I prefer a well-tuned (for feeding) Pre-64 M70 Winchester (CRF) or my Heym double.

The issue is putting EVERY available advantage on your side for DG and what a Remington or any rifle will do for accuracy at longer ranges has absolutely nothing to do with a short range DG rifle build. Some people, like Potterfield, just like Remington 700s because that’s what they have or are used to shooting. That’s fine but if talking about the ULTIMATE best setup for a purely DG rifle, give me CRF every time and I will shoot the rifle enough to get comfortable with it.

In 2014 while we were in Mozambique, my hunting partner and his PH were charged by an unwounded buffalo in high grass at VERY close range. The buffalo took the PH down and was goring him. My friend shot the buffalo off of the PH. Although rare, this does happen occasionally. Best to stack every available advantage in your favor if you have the resources to build or buy a rifle properly setup for DG. Sure, 99% of the time it doesn’t matter but it’s the 1% that is important. I have been charged by brown bears and a gut shot elk. Glad I’ve had properly built DG rifles with me just in case. Perhaps a PF would have done fine but not taking any chances.
Did the ph survive the encounter?

In both my Marine Corps and post-military careers, I frustrate my peers and supervisors in that I Plan for the worst, and hope for the best. Although frustrating to peers, when missions or projects are executed without delays or other problems, my anal attention to detail was and is appreciated!

Applying the same logic to critters that may end up hunting me, I prefer a well-tuned (for feeding) Pre-64 M70 Winchester (CRF) or my Heym double.
Exactly!

The US army used Rem 700 from 1968 to present, as sniper rifles. with no change to the extractor ! keep it clean & no brass shavings under it & its not a problem, it was a great action until poor quality control with last owner ruined it, good for varmint & target rifle builds , my choice for a Dangerous game rifle build at an affordable price would be a Ruger 77 Hawkeye no mods required just a little polishing up. A lot or Rem 700 critics do not own one & read too much bull shit!
Not too sure about that.....but I'm sure there will be someone on here that knows for sure.

In '93 I shot at Camp Perry in the National High Power Championships using an M14. Prior to attending the competition I, and a few other Aussies, were invited to attend and shoot on the military ranges at Quantico. Man...what a great set-up. Whilst there a few of us managed to have a bit of a tour of the "amour/work shop"? which IIRC was Marine. Anyway had a very good look at the Remington 700 Sniper Rifles. And I can say this with 100% certainty none of those rifles had Remington factory extractors. All had the M16 style extractor fitted. As others have said those military rifles had little in common with a Remington factory rifle that you and I can buy.

Not too sure about that.....but I'm sure there will be someone on here that knows for sure.

In '93 I shot at Camp Perry in the National High Power Championships using an M14. Prior to attending the competition I, and a few other Aussies, were invited to attend and shoot on the military ranges at Quantico. Man...what a great set-up. Whilst there a few of us managed to have a bit of a tour of the "amour/work shop"? which IIRC was Marine. Anyway had a very good look at the Remington 700 Sniper Rifles. And I can say this with 100% certainty none of those rifles had Remington factory extractors. All had the M16 style extractor fitted. As others have said those military rifles had little in common with a Remington factory rifle that you and I can buy.
That is properly the case with the extractor now but it was not the case with 700s used in Vietnam 1968 -1971 they were wood stocked, fitted with heavy barrels & Redfield 3x9 scopes with a ranging reticle. i was there ! & lucky to have spent 1 day at the range at the back of the air strip at Da Nang. Prior to the introduction of the Remington i was told they used Winchester 70 in 30/06.

Last edited:
When Captain land started the USMC sniper program in 1965, they were competitive long range shooters. They used there competition rifles at first, they were Pre 64 M70 in 30-06, with unertl scopes. These rifles were nearly hand crafted by the armorers.
When the marines decided to adopt a formal sniper rifle, they adopted they above mentioned M40, because they cheaper to make accurate in large numbers.

When Captain land started the USMC sniper program in 1965, they were competitive long range shooters. They used there competition rifles at first, they were Pre 64 M70 in 30-06, with unertl scopes. These rifles were nearly hand crafted by the armorers.
When the marines decided to adopt a formal sniper rifle, they adopted they above mentioned M40, because they cheaper to make accurate in large numbers.
James Land & Carlos Hathcock were legion's at the rifle range in hills just west of the Da Nang air base, i spent 1 day there in 1969, they were there in 1966 & 1967 i think & set it up , its over 50 years ago now i was 22 then , after the shoot part of the deal was to clean the rifles, i can remember when cleaning the bolt face they had regular Rem 700 extractors, i had a REM 700 222 at home,& our neighbor at home built bench rest rifles & was critical of the old riveted in extractor of that era even then.

Last edited:
With all my prior BS put aside....

I bought a 700 SPS about a year and a half ago for a great price. I bought it knowing Remington was going under and quality had been a problem. It was cheap enough that I really bought it for the action to build off later. With BIG BOLD capital letters... THAT REMINGTON 700 SPS HAS BEEN THE WORST OUT OF THE BOX RIFLE I'VE OWNED IN THE LAST 30 YEARS! I've seen many for sale since then including some .375 H&Hs. To the original poster and all that read this, stay away from that rifle with a ten foot pole! To the new owners of Remington - fix your $hit. This coming from the guy with safes full of 700s.
I have done a couple rem 700, having the action blueprint and trued. By the time I was done with it I should have just bought a custom action. It will be money better spent IMHO.

I have done a couple rem 700, having the action blueprint and trued. By the time I was done with it I should have just bought a custom action. It will be money better spent IMHO.
What a shame Remington ended up with poor quality rifles i have 5, year models 1969, 1973, 1977,1989,&1990 all have been excellent products, today the HOWA 1500 is a much better action for a custom build, better concentric machining & finish, extractor design, bolt handle & bolt body one piece & a good trigger, and a good price to go with it. i really hope the new owners of Remington get the 700 fixed its an iconic rifle.

absolutely....unfortunately I had to work that out for myself.....could have bought 2 x Sako 75's at the time for the same price it cost me with the Remington 700 build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross