Reload ammunition boxes

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Luvthunt, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Luvthunt

Luvthunt AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    as some country’s require the ammo box read the same as the ammo in them,ie 375 ammo must be in a factory ammo box printed with 375 info, and many of us who reload buy new cases that do not come in a ammo box that can be used for loaded ammo, what have you come up with to meet regs?

2. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    @Luvthunt Can you share your reference to this policy/regulation?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019

3. Edge

Edge AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    PA, NM, ND, Al, FL, MD, Eastern Cape South Africa, Zimbabwe x 2
    I simply put a load data sticker on a generic 50 round flip top box listing the caliber, load etc.

Worked twice for me so far without issue.

WAB and Vanguard2279 like this.

4. WAB

WAB AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    I do the same as Edge except that I have made labels up under my farm name, Pine Ridge Ammunition. Just buy labels of the appropriate size for your printer. I buy the generic boxes from midway. It actually looks quite professional.

As to Brickburn’s question, I’ve never been told that it is a law, just that it is a good idea. This from my travel agent.

5. meigsbucks

meigsbucks AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe and Namibia
    I just used factory load boxes that I had saved or in the case of this past safari, .30/06 I dug out of the trash at the range.
    I do like WAB’s method of creating “custom loaded” ammo boxes. Maybe with a Cape buffalo silhouette?

Rob404 and 375 Ruger Fan like this.

6. Luvthunt

Luvthunt AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    No cannot give reference but have read , [i believe in one of Boddingtons books,] and in other places that some countries require this.
    Never ran into the problem as I have kept old 20 round boxes well taped for long life.
    Again cannot refer to where, but thought I read recently Tanzania has this requirement.
    Thanks to all who responded.

7. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Thanks. I have never labeled anything in my ammunition cases. Do what makes you comfortable.

Here's where I think folks get confused.

Various airline policies: (not an exhaustive list)

American
    Air France
    United

• Original manufacturer packaging OR fiber, wood or metal boxes specifically designed to carry ammunition.
    Air Namibia
    British Airways
    • Pack in either its original packaging or in a suitable container that prevents movement between shells or cartridges.
    Delta
    • Pack in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes that provide separation for cartridges.
    Emirates
    • Pack in a strong, sealed box packed inside a suitcase and surrounded by other contents.
    Swiss
    • Must be packed in a solid wooden, metal or fibreboard container
    SAA
    Ammunition must be in a separate, locked, hard-sided ammunition case for all onward SA Airlink flights within South Africa.

TSA

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 08.11.58.png

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/ammunition

8. Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
    Interesting Brickburn. I’ve mostly carried mine in MTM plastic boxes on Delta or the plastic OEM original box inserts. I’ve had my Pelican case opened and inspected on a returning home trip, but nothing happened. Never had the SAPS inspect the ammo.

9. BRICKBURN

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    My ammo has always been in MTM cases (or parts thereof) and a locked Pelican case. That way it meets everyones requirements. Airlines, TSA, SAPS, CBP, etc.

ve7poi, tarbe and Ridgewalker like this.

10. Luvthunt

Luvthunt AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    As I understand it, it is not an airline issue but one of inspection by certain country customs.

11. BRICKBURN

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Again, do what you are comfortable with. If your Outfitter is saying to have original boxes to get into Tanzania then by all means do so. You have to feel comfortable.

These are the two sets of marks that are likely to be inspected, if at all, at any border crossing.
    As long as they match, you should not have an issue.
    These can't be forged. (easily)

There are several other threads where members have been concerned because their favourite "wildcat" (my term for lack of anything more useful) load is in a casing with a head stamp that does not match what is on the barrel.

IMG_8132.jpg

IMG_8131.jpg

My Pelican 12o0 Case using MTM bases to separate the cartridges and keep them safe.
    This case configuration made it through 11 international border crossings and customs/police inspections with out a word in 5 countries. Two different calibers of ammunition and two rifles in tow.
    IMG_1419_zpsbdee52e4.jpg

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/importing-handloaded-ammunition.13901/#post-114748

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/ammo-case.24666/

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/ammo-case-locked.28660/

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/lockable-ammo-case.8648/

http://www.africahunting.com/threads/ammunition-box-for-south-africa.10499/#post-81066

http://www.africahunting.com/threads/packing-ammunition-in-a-separate-bag.12609/#post-103810

Ridgewalker, PARA45 and cmk like this.

12. cagkt3

cagkt3 AH ENABLER PLATINUM SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT, KS
    I like that setup @BRICKBURN. I know what I will be doing in the future!

13. BRICKBURN

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    I had to cut the MTM bases with a hot soldering iron to make the bases fit, but it does the trick.
    Have fun.

14. Luvthunt

Luvthunt AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Thank you for the idea !!

15. BRICKBURN

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Most welcome.

16. Newboomer

Newboomer GOLD SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
    Hunted:
    RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
    I use a mix of factory and plastic 20 rd boxes in a locked hard case and have never had a problem. As long as the rifle caliber matches the ammo caliber, you're good to go in RSA, anyway.

17. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    If you really need factory ammo boxes, you can always post a request here on AH and I bet you somebody can help you out. A couple years ago, an AH member in the UK was going to be part of an expedition to the Arctic Circle and he was taking a 375 Ruger for emergency polar bear medicine. The small, regional airline was adamant that ammo needed to be in factory ammo type boxes. The AH member posted a request for some factory 375 Ruger ammo boxes and yours truly answered the call.

18. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
    One man's experience, do what makes you comfortable, YMMV. I've taken six aftermarket custom barreled rifles to RSA with no markings on them and never had a question. The only thing SAPS did was verify the serial numbers on the receiver were on the pre-approved permits. At Joburg, ammo boxes never came out of the checked bags until flying in country.

19. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    The 2 trips to SA we made I just used plastic ammo boxes with Midway labels filled out with the correct info for the ammo. We used a Pelican box with a TSA lock to put the ammo in. The 1st trip they quickly looked at the ammo. The 2nd trip they did not even ask to take it from my check in bag. The 1st trip I did everything myself. The 2nd trip I used a gun service and if I go back will use the gun service again.