Reliability of single-shot rifles

Frodo

AH member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm considering purchasing a quality single-shot rifle for bush and alpine hunting in New Zealand. I travel a lot by foot (and occasionally public transport), so I'd like a compact, light-weight rifle that I can break apart and store inside my pack.

I'm leaning towards the Merkel K5 at the moment (which is pretty much the same thing as a Blaser K95 - just a little bit different aesthetically).

I'll encounter prolonged wet, muddy (and sometimes icy) conditions. I'm curious to know if a single-shot rifle would handle it?

Unlike a bolt action rifle that can be completely field stripped (to access the firing pin, trigger mechanism etc.) what's the story with these single-shot rifles? Can you access the innards of these rifles (in the field) to dry everything out? Or does it involve lots of small pins and fiddly screws?

Are there any other reliability issues I need to be aware of?

If a single-shot rifle isn't suitable, I'll get a stainless/synthetic 'take-down' bolt rifle custom made.

Cheers.

Reccomendation is to take rimmed cartridge, if this is single shot, break action like k95.
Single shots are very popular alpine rifles, traditionally. For mountaines of NZ, I beleive it is a great choice.

Cheers mate.

Yes, I understand they're popular rifles for alpine use. But mine will be used as a work-horse, not just a fair weather gun, or for short excursions.

Stints in the field will range between a few weeks to months. So a gunsmith, or special tools will not be available. Hence why I'm asking how they'd handle getting wet and/or dirty.

Some images of the Merkel K5 (same design as the Blaser K95):

a11142_1.jpg

a11142_9.jpg

Details_TD_Merkel_K5_Kippblock_System_1200x750.jpg

I've been looking at a Bergara BA13 Take Down as an option for a woodland stalking rifle where the first shot usually counts, not sure if they are available in the US. Seem to fit the bill ecenomical also.

Possible definition of a singleshot, break action, kiplauff rifle:
It is (like) double rifle with one barrel only.
(absolute reliability)

They are very reliable. Of the two you note, the Blaser would be a bit more rugged, and its metal finish is impervious to almost anything.

However, one of the quickest ways to ruin either is to take a screwdriver and try to “field strip” it. They are not designed for regular detailed takedown of the action by anyone but a skilled gunsmith.

The conditions you Describe would seem to cry out for a synthetic stocked bolt action of some sort. The biggest challenge would be transportability.

Have you considered a synthetic stocked R8? It would break down into almost as small a package as either of the singles; the magazine trigger guard unit is polymer; the bolt assembly is easily accessed for cleaning; and the Blaser metal coating is pretty much impervious to anything mom nature can throw at you.

They are very reliable. Of the two you note, the Blaser would be a bit more rugged, and its metal finish is impervious to almost anything.

However, one of the quickest ways to ruin either is to take a screwdriver and try to “field strip” it. They are not designed for regular detailed takedown of the action by anyone but a skilled gunsmith.

The conditions you Describe would seem to cry out for a synthetic stocked bolt action of some sort. The biggest challenge would be transportability.

Have you considered a synthetic stocked R8? It would break down into almost as small a package as either of the singles; the magazine trigger guard unit is polymer; the bolt assembly is easily accessed for cleaning; and the Blaser metal coating is pretty much impervious to anything mom nature can throw at you.
Thanks - some useful info.

Are the Blaser's nitrided? Whereas the Merkels are just blued?

Most bolt guns are too heavy and bulky, which is why I'm keen on a single. But because field stripping them is not an option, I'm on the fence with them.

Blaser has a proprietary coating. Not sure if you can get something similar on the Merkel.

I suspect a R8 professional (synthetic) with a standard weight barrel in a NZ useful caliber would be within a few ounces of either of those two singles. Mine with .300 Win Mag barrel in place is actually a tad lighter than its Ruger No. 1 stablemate in .300 H&H. A klipplauf like either of these would be in the same weight class as the No. 1.

I would rather go for K95 and key reason for that is great mounting system and easy to strip bolt/lug system. Also this is one of the most beautiful and elegant rifle but this is my subjective feeling. Rimmed calibers are best choice for break action guns with good reason especially if you are concern about reliability. My K95 have great, even too light trigger breaking at 700g so dont see Merkel's adj. trigger as a benefit. My top choices are 7x65R as a long(er) range round and 9.3x74R Stutz (mine is 52cm) in case you need more compact but yet strong gun.
Most important thing for any light rifle/strong caliber combination is not grouping but shifting of POI due to inconsistent front rest. Bear in mind to rest forend always at the same point in order to minimize impact

Have you looked into the Thompson/Center Encore? Very reliable and simple. Lots of options including aftermarket barrels and stocks. You can get stainless frames and barrels to keep corrosion down. All of it is easy to either break down or at least get to to clean. Andd nothing against your other suggestions, but I bet the T/C is lower cost too.

I am a fan of single shot rifles and shotguns. However, shooting prone is very awkward to reload in a gun that breaks open. A Ruger #1 would be a fine choice imo since the rifle doesn't have a hinge. You should be able to shoot prone and reload without the lever touching the ground and there would be no need to tip the rifle 90 degrees. That would be my choice but it may be hard to find in europe. Perhaps some other companies make a falling block style single shot

What he said....get the K95....in 7x57mm or if you can handle the extra recoil 7x65R....the gun will be light

I am a fan of single shot rifles and shotguns. However, shooting prone is very awkward to reload in a gun that breaks open. A Ruger #1 would be a fine choice imo since the rifle doesn't have a hinge. You should be able to shoot prone and reload without the lever touching the ground and there would be no need to tip the rifle 90 degrees. That would be my choice but it may be hard to find in europe. Perhaps some other companies make a falling block style single shot
He is looking for a takedown.

In general single shot Kipplauf hunters dont need fast reloads as they make sure of first shot...break down and light weight for back pack is important...
K95 is extremely well built durable and accurate...

Personally I could not imagine that it would be close to a K95 in the accuracy department.

I've always been a fan of the Krieghoff Huberts for a Kipplauf. A rimmed cartridge like 7x65R or 30R Blaser. If you have an option for getting an ejector (vs just an extractor), get it.

Can recommend stainless steel laminated stocked Ruger No1as a good solid reliable single shot from my own experience of hunting in NZ for going on 20 years. Drawbacks being weight and it does not break down into two handy pieces to store in a pack. H&R single shot Handi rifles, Rossi Pomba and the TC single shot are simple reliable, easily broken down into two pieces and the latter two were/are available in stainless steel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PWA703

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.