Regulation question

SRvet

AH fanatic
Joined
Apr 19, 2020
Messages
527
Reaction score
862
Location
UK
Media
8
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Member of
BASC, British Deer Society
Hunted
RSA, Zimbabwe
This may sound like a strange question but perhaps you could indulge me.
I have come across a double rifle that is part finished. Sadly the gunsmith has passed away so cannot be asked.
The rifle is reported to be finished externally with the exception of the rear sights requiring filing and blueing. Am I safe in the assumption that regulation will have been done whilst the barrels were in the white or is regulation done after blueing the barrels?
My original thought was that regulation would occur before blueing as the finish would be badly affected by heating the barrels.
 
I don’t know from firsthand experience, but I had watched this video recently, which seems to go over the process:

 
Generally correct, although in the case of an unfinished rifle I’d be careful to make sure you know what you are buying before you purchase it. Make sure you budget for any work that may need completing, and don’t assume that everything else is finished. There are details such as ejector timing etc, that are critical and would require someone with the proper expertise to do.

From experience I can tell you that even reputable companies don’t always know much about double rifles…. They may be honest but lack expertise in some areas and they do get things wrong on the details.

If you happen to know a qualified gunsmith that you would trust to finish a double rifle or three for a reasonable price then it may be worth it… but you’ll only know for sure once it’s finished.
 
This may sound like a strange question but perhaps you could indulge me.
I have come across a double rifle that is part finished. Sadly the gunsmith has passed away so cannot be asked.
The rifle is reported to be finished externally with the exception of the rear sights requiring filing and blueing. Am I safe in the assumption that regulation will have been done whilst the barrels were in the white or is regulation done after blueing the barrels?
My original thought was that regulation would occur before blueing as the finish would be badly affected by heating the barrels.

I suspect you are talking about the same rifle I inspected last week; the staff claimed it had been regulated but I was dubious for the same reasons as yourself. It also didn't have a third bite or cross bolt.

I called Paul Roberts of J. Roberts and Son, who gave me a pretty good rundown on the issues that one might expect with such a rifle. If you can get it at the bottom end of the recommended price range, you'll have more dry powder to throw at it if it turns out to require extra work.

Keep us updated if you go ahead with the purchase. It was a lovely rifle to handle, and I'd be fascinated to see how it turns out.
 
Id ask them how a rifle with no sights could be regulated: somebody's not into the doubles very well as in the process you install the sights and then start your regulation process of bringing the POI together with iron sights.

Its surprising how many folks get" sighting in" and " regulating" mixed up, and that can be problematic in a conversatiion..

ID RUN OUT THE FRNT DOOR!! :)
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,291
Messages
1,571,849
Members
169,440
Latest member
HarryUnzu
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top