Reduced loads for .450 Rigby?

Bonde

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
SCI and NSK
Hunted
Norway, Poland, Czeck Republic, Croatia, Canada, Scotland and New Zealand
Have anyone found some reduced loads for 400-350grs bullets for this caliber?

I am aware of the real cheap 400grs ones in .458, but they require less than 1700fps...

I’d like to find a reduced load with cheaper bullets letting me use this gun a lot more!

Otherwise I guess the .458 Lott is a verre choice if I want ringe that way beeing able to use 458 win cases..

Have you tried H4895? Multiply max load by 60% and work up. You could even find some 300 gr. bullets to shoot.

I have used 5744 for reduced loads in my .404J. This is really what the powder was created for... loads are about 1/2 the grain weight of regular loads and require no buffers or special procedures Recoil is very mild even with the 400 grain lead and jacketed loads.

Thanks gentlemen!

Unfortunately I live in Europe, so the mentioned powders need to be on special order.

It is the Hodgdon H4895 and Hodgdon Accurate 5744 powders to ve specific?

I’ll have to find a way to source them over here...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VaniaParkh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani