RedNeck Safari Training

The most challenging part of hunting RSA for me was getting used to the sticks. Hunting PG there for me was virtually the same as hunting here otherwise. Thankfully, before my first trip this forum educated me on practiceing more from the style of sticks used there.

Whichever technoique you build and practive with, also do so from sticks, getting on teh sticks, or comingoff teh stocks to take a follow up. above all, have fun with it!

Your past experiences are sufficient. It's muscle memory, reflexes. The problem you're going to have is wanting to flee when she charges. That's the part that needs preparation. It is unexplainable and unavoidable. Don't ask me how I know. I sent you a PM a while back of gear recommendations (Filson 6" Granite Mountain Shorts) and will follow through with the phone call we discussed. You're going to come home changed - for the better.

Whichever technoique you build and practive with, also do so from sticks, getting on teh sticks, or comingoff teh stocks to take a follow up. above all, have fun with it!
I just need to apologize for the fat fingers and typos from this post, oh boy that's bad and too late to edit.o_O

That sled is.probably the better idea. Y'all have given me lots of good idea to work with. I got the old 458 out yesterday and sighted it in with the new NECG ghost ring. It's due for a trip to matrix gunsmithing to get this little feeding issue ironed out and then hopefully we will be ready to put some of these ideas to work

Mmmm ???
After reading all the above, I wonder how my hunt went so well without motorized practice.
Maybe it had something to do with the experience of the DG PH and trackers,,,, or just dumb luck. :)
I never refuse luck on a hunt.

Luck is a must have. We had a saying in my former line of employment. "Gunfights aren't won by the best guy, gunfights are won by the guy that fucks up the least that day." Never turn down any luck. I had an RPG hit the passenger side rear door of a Humvee that I was running the gun on and luckily the dumbass that fired it forgot to pull the pin and arm it, or it was simply a dud. Either way I'll take all the luck I can get.

That charge box is very cool. I can see now that using a winch or a RC car or something of the sort is definitely the way to do this. Being able to use a full size target stand like that is a big bonus

So in preparation for my upcoming safari I spoke with my PH and we were discussing training and shooting practice and he gave me a couple of ideas for some good drills on shooting fast and reloading and such. I will preface this by saying I have a lot of shooting experience and I also have access to a nice range right down the road from my house and I live in rural Ky, that gives me the ability to do some more creative things than you can at a lot of other ranges.
So given our discussion on shooting fast, acquiring targets, and emptying magazines I hatched an idea. What if I mounted a target to a gas powered R/C car? I have a good friend that I think would be just the guy to help me engineer this little device. I'm picturing an R/C car with a light weight framework attached to it which has an upright on which you could mount a paper target at roughly buffalo or whatever animals vital zone height thereby being able to simulate a charging or retreating, or even a laterally moving target with roughly the same speed and maneuverability as your intended quarry. Now take into account this is both for training and fun before some of you get too serious on me but I think this is a worthwhile venture and would really put ones shooting skills to the test and would also give an unmatched tactical advantage in getting used to acquiring and hitting moving targets. What's your thoughts?
@Backyardsniper
Sounds like a bucket load of fun as long as you don't shoot the car. All the PG I shot in Namibia was standing still. Get plenty of practice off the sticks as well as that is what you will be using most. My son used his 22lr and as the distance got Ionger out to 100 yards the targets got smaller to make it harder for him. Also practice from field positions. Once he was comfortable with the 22 he went to his 308 and was very good after all the practice.
Bob

Yes, the balloon idea is excellent as well. Nothing better than reactive targetry
@Backyardsniper
If'n you want to have a real hoot fill a container with a binary substance like tenerite and have a real blast.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

The device is called the 'charge box' I bought one from a fella in SA and use it for all my DG courses.

Sled ''charges'' the shooter at approx 8m per sec

@bowjijohn
All good but what happens if the charge isn't front on but from the side or any other angle. Game is not always playing by the rules
Bob

It is a good point Bob

These drills were largely developed for the Game guide and are geared toward sorting a problem when the ''wheels fall off'' - they are not specifically hunting drills

I'm not sure about PHs but trails guides are taught, where ever possible, to place themselves between animal and their clients.

Many reserves do/did not allow an animal to be engaged by a guide at a range of greater than 15m. Having to shoot an animal is a last resort - unlike a PH, as a guide you and your clients are not hunting.

However I found that even hunters benefit from these scenarios - One challenge we do is an exercise where a single shot is taken at a buff off sticks. As soon as the shot is fired the buff charges from 30m using the charge box. The shooter must come off his sticks reload and engage the now charging animal in the available 2 to 3 seconds.

I also set up some of my COFs a bit like 'jungle lanes' in infantry training

Much emphasis is placed upon turning to face a charge, aiming by first moving your feet into position prior to presenting the rifle rather than turning/twisting the body.

The drills incorporate blind fold reloads, miss fire drills and all shooting is done under time pressure and with increased heart rate

People quickly discover the weaknesses and strengths in their skills, their kit and and identify any snagging their clothing might cause.

Everyone discovers their own solutions to the challenges presented. You can't be too prescriptive as people pitch up with a variety of needs, experience and different rifles with different actions.

For example - the drills I do for myself are based around a 3 round Mauser 98 action - someone with an R8 might find they need a different approach to reloading etc.. However each timed scenario is never complete until the rifle is reloaded and brought back into the aim (which ever way you use to achieve that).

There is a limit of course to how closely you can mimic real life - nothing really prepares you for the real thing.

First time it happened to me was as a pimply 19 year old under instruction as a trainee game ranger. Lioness mock charged us. My brain didn't even register that it happened until after it was over. I was a bit wobbly for a while after.

I challenge anyone (apart from the very experienced) to be able to think clearly in such a situation.

I'm not a PH and have had a long break since recently returning to working in the bush, however In my limited experience I've found that the only thing that stands between you and a snotty mess (when taken by surprise) is thousands and thousands of repetitions thus developing the muscle memory to react without having to think too much

Dry fire is almost as valuable as live fire and besides, training in such a way is a lot more fun than just whacking paper on a range.

Also you can develop and run these scenarios inexpensively on your own land with a mate rather than pay for someone else's course

PS - I also run many of these drills with an iron sighted .22LR which saves much pain in both shoulder and wallet

Last edited:
@bowjijohn
All good but what happens if the charge isn't front on but from the side or any other angle. Game is not always playing by the rules
Bob

A charge is by its definition is at the hunter. It might’ve from the side to begin with but the hunter needs to turn toward the charge thus it will be front on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!