Red dot sight question

ARHinAK

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Has anyone used this particular sight (Aimpoint Hunter H34L) on a DG rifle or any other?
My understanding is that there is a shorter version, so depending on your receiver length you can mount one or the other.
Asking because I haven’t seen one in person and video reviews aren’t very common or very good.
Thanks

E8BB0904-880B-4DA5-B8C7-D42B0809E301.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone used this particular sight (Aimpoint Hunter H34L) on a DG rifle or any other?
My understanding is that there is a shorter version, so depending on your receiver length you can mount one or the other.
Asking because I haven’t seen one in person and video reviews aren’t very common or very good.
Thanks
I believe these are a bit old tech now. These have no magnification, so I do not see the point of having something bulky and heavy, when I could have a simple red dot like the Aimpoint micro, or even smaller a Trijicon RMR.

Some shooting buddies have Aimpoint micros on their ARs and although I’ve handled them I’ve not shot with them to any great extent. I can fix that by borrowing one for a range trip. If I had to voice a concert prior to shooting it, it would be the size of the lenses. They seem small, like looking through a hole the size of a dime or maybe a nickel. Part of the reason for this concern is that I’m essentially blind in my left eye and always prefer a bigger tube for all the field of view I can get. Only a trip to the range would settle the matter.
As far as the open emitter type red dots goes, maybe I have an unfounded worry about rain or their performance when wet. I’m in Alaska and can pretty much count on getting rained on but again, maybe it’s an unfounded concern.

Some shooting buddies have Aimpoint micros on their ARs and although I’ve handled them I’ve not shot with them to any great extent. I can fix that by borrowing one for a range trip. If I had to voice a concert prior to shooting it, it would be the size of the lenses. They seem small, like looking through a hole the size of a dime or maybe a nickel. Part of the reason for this concern is that I’m essentially blind in my left eye and always prefer a bigger tube for all the field of view I can get. Only a trip to the range would settle the matter.
As far as the open emitter type red dots goes, maybe I have an unfounded worry about rain or their performance when wet. I’m in Alaska and can pretty much count on getting rained on but again, maybe it’s an unfounded concern.
For what I think is excellent information on red dot systems, durability, and how we function with them, try Aaron Cowan’s website: https://www.sagedynamics.org/

Scroll down and download his white paper: “Miniaturized Red Dot Systems for Duty Handgun Use, Fourth Edition, 2021.” There might be something in there that will help you make a choice even though you need the dot for a DG rifle, not law enforcement work.

You probably do want a closed emitter. For a topical fix with condensation and light frost on your lens try Z-Clear or Cat Crap. I’ve tried both and like the latter better.

There are units with larger glass real estate. With Holosun, for example, compare window size. The popular 509T for handguns is .66 x 0.9. For rifle choices, the HS510C (open) and HE512T (closed) are .91 x 1.26.

With dot sights we are superimposing the dot on the target; our eyes stay “target focused” not “dot focused.” Since we are “target focused,” the outer metal edges of our dot sight will be blurry; our target will be crystal clear. (Exact opposite of front sight focused.) We are not narrowing our vision into the area of the dot glass. The field of vision you have now—without a dot sight—should be the same.

There are models that use an inverted “V” instead of a dot. Some think that provides easier acquisition. It might also help users with astigmatism. You might want a unit with the option of having the dot inside a 32 MOA circle for an acquisition aid, or the inverted “V” with a rim “halo” that will help you more quickly acquire your target as you get used to the unit or are in a stressful situation. One reason for a dot sight is fast acquisition. Also, you might want a unit with built-in solar backup.

Though Cowan’s white paper is for duty guns and defensive situations, I found a lot of information transferrable to different situations. It is a good read for those who use dot sights on self-defense guns.

Alaska Ammo in FBX has staff with excellent red dot knowledge for many applications, so I’d think the Anchorage store would have the same. If something sounded interesting to you, I bet they would order it for you to take a look at in person. Maybe they would open the package so you could try it on your rifle at the store, or on a rifle there.

I’m in the process of choosing several dot systems for my rifle, and I’ll write in after I’ve made my choices and tested them.

Laura

Does anyone have any long term experience with the durability of Holosun's? I like their 503's with the back up solar panel, but unsure of putting one on a hunting rifle.

Thanks

View attachment 510369
Yes , well almost…..we have used an aimpoint H30L on a BRNO 602 in 458 win Mag. I think it’s the same sight with a smaller 30mm tube. Works really well, mounts with 30mm rings and holds zero. It has an incredible battery life reported but I can’t confirm if the claim is true.
F99140B2-07BF-4974-A33F-0DF7BCC7BAC1.jpeg

Does anyone have any long term experience with the durability of Holosun's? I like their 503's with the back up solar panel, but unsure of putting one on a hunting rifle.
I have used holosun for years on ARs - never an issue - have quite a few of them and I think they are a great product and good value

Thank you all for the replies. I’m really going to have to get my hands on one or a similar red dot sight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShoshanaHe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross