Red dot for a large calibre

W
I have one on my 505 Gibbs and it works very well. The recoil impulse on a big bore put less strain on a red dot that it does on a pistol slide. So you should have no problems.
Which sight do you have mounted? An rmr?

I have a Riton on the 505 and a RMR on my 500/416 double.

I like Aimpoint

I'm leaning towards the Sig Sauer Romeo8H Red Dot for another .458 cal...

I put a Holosun 508T on my tactical shotgun and absolutely love it. I know it's not a DG rifle, however that hasn't stopped hundreds of police agencies from switching from Trijicon to Holosun. Optics mounted on pistols that see thousands of rounds a year with as much if not more abuse than a DG rifle can dish out. Here are the reasons I chose Holosun over Trijicon.

First is the battery...specifically what it takes to change it. The Holosun opitcs I was looking at (maybe all of them, but I didn't check) have a battery compartment tray that is accessible without having to remove the optic from the mount. This is not the case with Trijicon, which requires removing the optic from the mount, changing the battery, reinstalling & torquing the screws. Now it needs to be re-zeroed. Many law enforcement agencies do not allow the individual officers to perform this task, instead handing it off to the armorer. With the Holosun it's a simple operation that anyone can do and doesn't require a re-zero of the firearm.

Second - Durability. I'm not in the military (although I served in the Navy) and do not require the same equipment that our fighting forces do. That said, I'm not exactly easy on gear. Hunting can be rough sometimes, and so can a home defense situation. After much deliberation and research, it was my decision that the Holosun offered a level of durability that I'm not likely to surpass. Drop test, water rating, recoil testing on pistols, shotguns and rifles...the results were impressive.

Third - Reticle options. Trijicon offers dots of varying sizes on each model, but there is only one dot available on each model. The user is not able to change the dot size or add a ring. Not the case with Holosun. Depending on the optic you choose, on the same model the user can change from a dot to a dot-circle to just a circle. Some models offer up to three different circle sizes depending on what you would like for any given situation. The HS507COMP has this feature, it's pretty neat.

Fourth - Shake awake technology. It's simple. If the firearm (with the optic installed) is moved, the optic turns on. In addition to this, the model I chose has a sensor to detect the ambient light and automatically adjust the brightness setting. So in a low light condition the reticle is more dim, and when it's in direct sunlight it's all the way on high...all done automatically. This feature can also be turn off so it can run in manual mode.

Price or value, however you would like to put this. I chose Holosun for what was in the package and would have been happy to pay more than the cost of an RMR to get it. The fact is that it was several hundred dollars cheaper than the Trijicon I was looking at. It made the decision all that much easier.

Shamless pic of the optic mounted on the shotgun...
1688066559029.png

Thanks, I was leaning towards the trijicon rmr to begin with... Think its what I'll get for my rifle
Good choice if you go the RMR route, I’ve got one on one of my .416 Rigbys so far so good but only about 200 rounds through it.

I put a Holosun 508T on my tactical shotgun and absolutely love it. I know it's not a DG rifle, however that hasn't stopped hundreds of police agencies from switching from Trijicon to Holosun. Optics mounted on pistols that see thousands of rounds a year with as much if not more abuse than a DG rifle can dish out. Here are the reasons I chose Holosun over Trijicon.

First is the battery...specifically what it takes to change it. The Holosun opitcs I was looking at (maybe all of them, but I didn't check) have a battery compartment tray that is accessible without having to remove the optic from the mount. This is not the case with Trijicon, which requires removing the optic from the mount, changing the battery, reinstalling & torquing the screws. Now it needs to be re-zeroed. Many law enforcement agencies do not allow the individual officers to perform this task, instead handing it off to the armorer. With the Holosun it's a simple operation that anyone can do and doesn't require a re-zero of the firearm.

Second - Durability. I'm not in the military (although I served in the Navy) and do not require the same equipment that our fighting forces do. That said, I'm not exactly easy on gear. Hunting can be rough sometimes, and so can a home defense situation. After much deliberation and research, it was my decision that the Holosun offered a level of durability that I'm not likely to surpass. Drop test, water rating, recoil testing on pistols, shotguns and rifles...the results were impressive.

Third - Reticle options. Trijicon offers dots of varying sizes on each model, but there is only one dot available on each model. The user is not able to change the dot size or add a ring. Not the case with Holosun. Depending on the optic you choose, on the same model the user can change from a dot to a dot-circle to just a circle. Some models offer up to three different circle sizes depending on what you would like for any given situation. The HS507COMP has this feature, it's pretty neat.

Fourth - Shake awake technology. It's simple. If the firearm (with the optic installed) is moved, the optic turns on. In addition to this, the model I chose has a sensor to detect the ambient light and automatically adjust the brightness setting. So in a low light condition the reticle is more dim, and when it's in direct sunlight it's all the way on high...all done automatically. This feature can also be turn off so it can run in manual mode.

Price or value, however you would like to put this. I chose Holosun for what was in the package and would have been happy to pay more than the cost of an RMR to get it. The fact is that it was several hundred dollars cheaper than the Trijicon I was looking at. It made the decision all that much easier.

Shamless pic of the optic mounted on the shotgun...
View attachment 542753

I like a lot of the features of Holosun. They are a tuff optic, they are proven to be durable.

I only have one problem with them, they are made in China.

I like the aimpoint acro P2 for supreme durability and enclosed emitter. I also like trijicon RMR and SRO which are also very durable and proven.

Trijicon MRO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevkala

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double