Recommended Binocular Carry Methods

Compacts as in 10x25s? 8 x32s?

my x25s go in my pocket. Anything else just below the suprasternal notch.

Rick Young. Best I’ve found by a long shot.

Gonna make myself one based on the Rick Young and test looks cool

What am I missing when I envision carrying your binoculars on your hip?

In my head it seems like they would be bouncing/shifting every step you take. Also, if you needed to crouch or crawl through some thorns or bush, doesn’t this make it far more awkward than a chest carry?

They are quite stable riding on my hip. When crouching or crawling, I simply swing them up at the small of my back and they stay put. My PH and I crawled about 50 yds to get my shot at a kudu and we had no problems.

In my head it seems like they would be bouncing/shifting every step you take. Also, if you needed to crouch or crawl through some thorns or bush, doesn’t this make it far more awkward than a chest carry?
I used a chest harness for many years until I found YouTube videos with the "african" shoulder carry style. Liked it way better right away. They are just Tucker out of the way by your hip, they dont move as much as youd think at all and if you Crouch or whatever, just rotate them around a little bit so they're resting on your back more than your hip, takes no time.

Was using a para cord strap to try out that method and liked it so my wife got me a Els & Co strap for Christmas.

But my binos have a rangefinder too, so I'll take them on stalks that most people wouldnt necessarily carry binos on for that purpose. Probably never touch them in sub 150-200 yard shots and I'll definitely trust my PHs but when you start talking archery or long range, precise range is critical and I take personal responsibility of those types of shots seriously aka if I dont ave time to verify range myself in those situations thers a good chance I shouldnt be taking the shot

I used a chest harness for many years until I found YouTube videos with the "african" shoulder carry style. Liked it way better right away. They are just Tucker out of the way by your hip, they dont move as much as youd think at all and if you Crouch or whatever, just rotate them around a little bit so they're resting on your back more than your hip, takes no time.

Was using a para cord strap to try out that method and liked it so my wife got me a Els & Co strap for Christmas.

But my binos have a rangefinder too, so I'll take them on stalks that most people wouldnt necessarily carry binos on for that purpose. Probably never touch them in sub 150-200 yard shots and I'll definitely trust my PHs but when you start talking archery or long range, precise range is critical and I take personal responsibility of those types of shots seriously aka if I dont ave time to verify range myself in those situations thers a good chance I shouldnt be taking the shot

Interesting! I found my chest harness hassle free, and it was nice to not have them moving at all, regardless of what I’m working my way though. I guess I will have to try on my hip to see how I like it.

I actually like either a chest harness or a chest pack to keep them in and away from the elements.

If I am using a chest harness where they are out in the open I'll put some Butler Creek scope covers on the objective lens instead of depending on the flimsy factory lens cups, that quickly get lost if you are in some brush.

When I was packing some lightweight and compact binoculars I would just tuck them inside of my shirt if they didn't fit in my pocket.

It works for me if have them high on, or above, the hip, and pushed a little to the rear. This carry doesn't work for my hunting at home, but would be very workable in the right place (Africa?).

Easy to get at for me and minimal bouncing around. A pleasant surprise when I tried it.

Don't envision it - try it.

Find the cutest gal at the SAA lounge and give her whatever she wants (within reason) to carry them for you. Mark Sullivan used to make fun of "Bino Bras," but i tend to favor them as they hold 'em close to your chest and don't get in the way of a quick shot. The old style straps are too loose and swing about when you move. You can put them sideways, but quickly viewing becomes an issue. Many brand names are made by the same company. "I am Bwana's Bino-Bearer <smiles>." Opt for a wider strap, as the thin ones tend to wear out quickly.

Interesting! I found my chest harness hassle free, and it was nice to not have them moving at all, regardless of what I’m working my way though. I guess I will have to try on my hip to see how I like it.
I never had a problem with it either, just like this way better right now. I do like the peace of mind of nothing being able to catch in a DG situation and I know there are really no issues shooting archery with chest mounted binos but perception is reality and they're totally out of the way of everything for multiple reasons on the hip

10X40 very old Zeiss (bought in Hong Kong 1977) lay on the dash of the cruiser, original nylon strap. 8x30 Swarovski with Rick Young goes with me. Would like to buy a Swarovski spotting scope this year (if I can go to the states). Each has it's own purpose.

My preferred method o' carry... I made the Sling...

20211125_045112.jpg
20211125_045116.jpg
20211125_045130.jpg
20211125_045220.jpg
20211125_045008.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading through this thread and another similar thread, I bought the Rick Young strap and used them on a recent hunt. Best system I’ve ever tried and worked well with and without my backpack. I doubt that I’ll ever try another system.

I still like a enclosed carrier. It keeps dust and dirt off the lenses and once you use one you find that they are quite handy.

I'm not talking about the ones that weigh in the same as your daypack and carry everything but the sink but just simple ones.

I got a Rick Young specifically because of this particular thread. I've used them this hunting season, and I am quite happy with them. I would reccomend them for sure!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.