Rear trigger

mitch4570

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Joined
Feb 10, 2014
Messages
422
Reaction score
629
Who shoots the rear trigger first on your double rifle?
 
Always

(Edited to: Always, unless i had a particular bullet in the right chamber, but not also in the left.
Never happened before.)
 
Last edited:
Front to back, unless I am purposefully using a different bullet in the left barrel.
 
My friend shot the rear first on his Beretta many years. He was so used to pulling the rear trigger first, that in the end I changed his choke. I had to put wide choke
in the top barrel
 
I do because I shoot left handed. 9.3x74 Chapuis
 
I had an old .470 double for a while. Beautiful gun. English make. Front trigger for right barrel. I trained myself until it was muscle memory: index finger on front, middle finger resting behind the rear trigger guard but ready. First shot always front. Second shot always rear. Never mixed them up, even when things got hairy.
 
Unless there's an actual problem with the rifle, I'd just buy a double trigger s/s shotgun and regularly spend time at the skeet range. After a while, your trigger management will become automatic.
 
keep it simple always first trigger hence first #1 then rear trigger #2
 
Why would you do that?

I’ve personally witnessed an inexperienced shooter sweep the rear trigger on a .470 Chapuis double under recoil. Not exactly sure how she did that, but it happened. Unless you practice a lot, I think occasional double shooter might want to shoot rear trigger first.

Obviously the norm is front trigger first…

Ed Z
 
After watching a couple of my shooting buddies double (unintentionally) my .470 double rifle, I trained myself to shoot the rear trigger first on that rifle and it worked famously, even though I have a safe full of side by side shotguns that I shoot front to rear. To me it’s no different than training to shoot a Glock vs 1911 vs Browning Hi Power vs a double action revolver ect… You can easily learn to shoot any given firearm with zero loss of speed or accuracy as long as you train to do it. All this to say rear trigger to front is completely doable, and it comes as close to completely eliminating any and all chance of a double as there is. Just my 2 cents.
 
im lefty so i go back trigger first. i decided its just easier to do this than to procure lefty doubles or have triggers switched out.

works for me and im very comfortable with it.

my 2 cents
 
I’ve shot thousands of rounds though a double trigger SxS and hundreds through a double rifle. I’ve never had a double and alway pull the front trigger first.

They are designed ti be fired front first. The front trigger is always a touch lighter in pull.
 
When I first started shooting DR's I pulled the rear trigger first, and had a "double."

Sent the rifle back for repair and have had no problem since.


The "typical" situation with SxS's is the right barrel (front trigger) is fired first, because that is usually the most open choke on a shotgun. The left barrel usually has a tighter choke on a shotgun and is fired last, as the quarry gets farther away.


I have now standardized to use the front trigger first, unless I have a solid in one barrel and an expanding bullet in the other.

Then, I use the appropriate barrel.

If you don't want to "keep up" with the bullets in each barrel, tradition is to use the front trigger first.
 
Front then rear.
 
Front trigger first, from day one on all my doubles, way to late in the game to be jacking with the system, V/C 577 had an articulating front trigger when I first got it, on firing that shoulder pounding beast and closing right hand grip even more to control torque staying in the gun and on the sights, I broke that front trigger.

Drove it up to JJ, he fixed it at no charge, well crap, I broke it again, this time he installed a solid trigger, GTG for more than a dozen years.

All that said and what I believe for most doubles being so decisive taking game animals the right barrel has more wear than the left barrel, it's the case with my little 303 British double, I often fire the left barrel only, with either 215 Woodleigh soft or CEB 210gr flat nosed solid, will even have an empty hull in the right barrel to give breech face a nice even area for the barrels to recoil back into.

Of course on hunts they have soft on right solid on left.
 
Why would you do that? The only reason I can think of would be situational not as common practice.
I saw a guy on YouTube that said he pulled the rear trigger first to help negate the possibility of pulling both triggers at once.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,300
Messages
1,572,099
Members
169,493
Latest member
CortneyRen
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top