Read this Elephant Charge

Well, I have no real desire to hunt elephant, but would love to go on a hunt for them with the hunters. But, seeing this real/mock charge with no rifle in hand, I would be running back to camp to get my skinning knife. Camp couldn’t be that far away, could it? I do carry a compass? Ha! Ha!

I have never shot an ele, but encountered many over the years. It is the back legs you need to watch, the front foot dust could be a miss step. You can just make out the back leg on the right Side and looks to me like this guy is in motion. He is coming. Might stop, maybe not and this is getting really last second to get out of the way if you did manage to stop him.

I don’t know for sure but I hope to possibly find out and hunt one!

View attachment 362494
I have never shot an ele, but encountered many over the years. It is the back legs you need to watch, the front foot dust could be a miss step. You can just make out the back leg on the right Side and looks to me like this guy is in motion. He is coming. Might stop, maybe not and this is getting really last second to get out of the way if you did manage to stop him.

I do not quite agree with that assessment..

This is what it looks like when a charge stops and becomes a mock charge.....yes it can change to a full charge again...

Below all mock charges, after that full charges....

1597321302428.png

1597321399679.png

1597321694317.png

1597321717444.png

1597321762794.png

1597321782082.png

1597322274077.png

Full charges ending in contact.......

1597321997969.png

Trunk not tucked in ears out, guide is at fault after she warned him the first time.....human error...

Mock charge or the real thing???
1597322802293.png

1597322755659.png

1597322955003.png

1597322975559.png

All these full charges ears are out head tucked in or cocked.....difficult to check back legs on most....

Attachments

• 1597321581455.png
    1597321581455.png
    514.6 KB · Views: 309
I worked for a wildlife film maker for a while. We did mostly lions at night ( I did the lights) but also filmed quite a bit with elephants during the day and at night. Literally driving in among a cow herd (which of course was used to us and not threatened and not in a hunting area !)

I will say that you can tell when an elephant is at peace and going about its normal business. Once an elephant is not happy, they start giving warning signs-they lift their tail and head up and often scuff the ground with a toe or absentmindedly chew on a branch without eating. Next step is a charge (mock or real). By that time he is pretty upset and not thinking straight. And if you run, he will chase-it is instinct.

In my opinion an angry elephant is not even sure himself what he is going to do next. IvW says it well- " You will know it is a mock charge when he stops if not shoot.. "

From the sounds of it there is no "one thing" you can point to.
Several different factors need to be taken into account.
Then comes the experience of the PH to make a determination.
And even then mistakes can be made.

This can't be easy and to make a call from a single picture is not wise.

The PH who does a lot of examining for Zimbabwe PH's (chief examiner I guess ?) told me that he thinks that elephant is where most prospective PH's are really tested. So he purposefully exposes the candidates to elephant to see how they perform and reads the candidates body language. They need to be comfortable around elephant. He watches rifle position and body language to see if candidates start to get ready to shoot while the animal is still far off and things like that. So in his opinion, the elephant tells him the most about the candidate.

Loango National Park , Gabon .
(Loxondota Cyclotis)Three cows ele with a young ele . They are angry .
We are on feet , the beach is just behind us .
Enjoy !

Looking at some of the videos posted, a lot of elephant are shot unnecessarily ....

@IvW Out of genuine interest I was wondering if you could post those photos on the shot placement thread with a dot showing brain shot. I want to hunt elephant in the future and the more information is knowledge.

@IvW Out of genuine interest I was wondering if you could post those photos on the shot placement thread with a dot showing brain shot. I want to hunt elephant in the future and the more information is knowledge.

Hey mate, this is a good video on it:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg