Range Report for NEW TO ME .375 H&H Magnum

muzzle breaks are fine if you shoot at your own home. but few things are more rude then using a muzzle break at a public range.

-Matt

First of all you've already assumed I'm rude by firing my 375 with a break at a public range. First thing I do is inform the range officer of this and ask if he has a bench with some room, if not I tell the shooters next to me what I'm shooting . When I go to a public range I have to assume this is a possibility from other shooters and since I have no other option I have to accept it. Another point at least in my opinion is when I get on the bench to practice before I spend many thousands of dollars on a hunt I want to not think about recoil. Some of us here just don't like it and I'm one of them. Sorry if those of us offend you with big guns with breaks. My apologies to the forum for high jacking this thread into something else. Guys like this get my siciliano blood pressure up.

I was not going to comment on this discussion but have decided to ... as it was added to my original thread!

I have very few options to shoot, other than a public range. The land that I hunt on is over 5 hours away and while I have space to check the zero on a rifle, it is not conducive to much more than the one or two rounds that I fire on the last work trip before the season. I am actually very concerned about the sound from my rifle. At 55 years of age, I am in the process of getting expensive hearing aids to hopefully stop any further hearing loss and to accommodate for the loss that I have. I thought long and hard about purchasing a rifle with even a magnaport, but understand anyone who wants a muzzle break ... because, well it is their money and their rifle.

Even with a port instead of a break, I took all of Johhny's precautions on the range because others have done the same for me when they brought out the big guns or breaks ... it is just common courtesy and I appreciated it from them and from Johnny when he goes to a public range. I certainly think there is space for all of us to participate in this sport ... be it at the public range down the road or 100,000 acres in Sothern Africa.

Congrats on your 375, I used Rem 700 in 375 H&H to take Lion, leopard and Cape Buff to name some, I also love the 700 action have numerous rifles, try the Swift A Frame as I handload and for mine it shot them the best even the Remington Factory A Frame , also I replaced the stock with Bell & Carson added little weight but group was much better. Enjoy

417587_2313368652051_899903542_n.jpg

Attachments

• 417587_2313368652051_899903542_n.jpg
    417587_2313368652051_899903542_n.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 194
My buddy has an AR-30 300 Win Mag we take out to a 600 yard range which has a muzzle brake and we have never got a complaint. We set up at a slot as far away as possible from other shooters. If we set up next to someone we talk with them and usually everyone is fine with it. Yeah just plopping down and blasting away without communicating with your neighbor would be be rude. But being a good neighbor and communicating makes things a lot better. We've never had anyone ask us not to shoot nor got up and left because we started shooting. We have taken turns firing with our neighbors on the range some times. That's why you carry ear protection and eye protection and double ear protection is even better. The noise and concussion of a 300 Win Mag is impressive. I can only imagine a 375 H&H with a brake. The recoil reduction though is similarly impressive.

A 375 H&H is a pussycat no muzzle brake needed. We have a Rem XCR II rechambered for 375 Weatherby (it shoots 375 H&H factory too). It weighs all of 7 1/4 lbs with the Leupold 2x7 on it unloaded. It hardly kicks at all. I love the Remington factory 300g A-Frames too!

Here's a pic with my 40 plus year old BDL in 270 I gave to my youngest son.

My youngest son with the black bear he got with it.

I recommend getting a slip on Limbsaver recoil pad for shooting from the bench then do most of your shooting after sight in, offhand, sitting or kneeling as you would hunting.

Attachments

• 10616567_901315873229042_6446743527328908195_n_zpsd4bab389.jpeg
    10616567_901315873229042_6446743527328908195_n_zpsd4bab389.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 138
  • P1010081.jpg
    P1010081.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 198
Last edited by a moderator:
A 375 H&H is a pussycat no muzzle brake needed. We have a Rem XCR II rechambered for 375 Weatherby (it shoots 375 H&H factory too). It weighs all of 7 1/4 lbs with the Leupold 2x7 on it unloaded. It hardly kicks at all. I love the Remington factory 300g A-Frames too!

I recommend getting a slip on Limbsaver recoil pad for shooting from the bench then do most of your shooting after sight in, offhand, sitting or kneeling as you would hunting.
A 7.25 lb. .375 "hardly kicks at all"? You're a lot more manly than I am.

Seriously? No kick at all. Some folks like myself just don't like recoil. That being said I would much rather shoot well and not have to think about the recoil. As stated in many threads, it's all about shot placement when it's crunch time.

Yeah, I check some recoil tables on 7 1/2 lb rifles and 30-06 180 grain bullets at 2700 gos had 20.3 ft lbs . A 375 H&H with 300 grain bullet at 2550 fps had 37.3 ft-lbs (1.837 times ) . I've considered the ole '06 to be upper limits of shooting a whole box tolerably on the range. Chuck Hawks commented that over 20 ft-lbs most shooter tend to develop flinching. I'm sure the cliche comments regarding hirsuitism and genitalia type and size are soon to follow. Cheers!

Just took my Ruger Guide Rifle in 375 Ruger out for the first time to site in the new Luepold 1.5-5 scope I just got from their custom shop had them put a gray finish on it to match the rifle better.
image.jpeg

Bore sited it at 50 yd so it would be less work at the range. Started 2 inches low 6 inches to the right at 50 yd's.
Moved it over and up with 4 shots but didn't think about the eight clicks to the inch that is what took the extra shots.
Shot this group of three and then moved out to 100 yd's.
image.jpeg

Shot a group of three at 100 yd's
image.jpeg

Moved to the 200 yd's range to see what would happen there. Only shot two shots that finished off the box. Got a 5.5 and 6.5 drop and two inches to the right so moved it four clicks to the left for the next time I go out. Figured the high shot at 100 must have just been me.

Yeah, I check some recoil tables on 7 1/2 lb rifles and 30-06 180 grain bullets at 2700 gos had 20.3 ft lbs . A 375 H&H with 300 grain bullet at 2550 fps had 37.3 ft-lbs (1.837 times ) . I've considered the ole '06 to be upper limits of shooting a whole box tolerably on the range. Chuck Hawks commented that over 20 ft-lbs most shooter tend to develop flinching. I'm sure the cliche comments regarding hirsuitism and genitalia type and size are soon to follow. Cheers!

Even the science says all you who are saying that the 375 H&H magnum is a push are lying sacks of shit :)!

PS Slip-on limbsaver has been installed for the next session!

Nice groups!

Just took my Ruger Guide Rifle in 375 Ruger out for the first time to site in the new Luepold 1.5-5 scope I just got from their custom shop had them put a gray finish on it to match the rifle better.
View attachment 57526
Bore sited it at 50 yd so it would be less work at the range. Started 2 inches low 6 inches to the right at 50 yd's.
Moved it over and up with 4 shots but didn't think about the eight clicks to the inch that is what took the extra shots.
Shot this group of three and then moved out to 100 yd's.
View attachment 57527
Shot a group of three at 100 yd's View attachment 57528
Moved to the 200 yd's range to see what would happen there. Only shot two shots that finished off the box. Got a 5.5 and 6.5 drop and two inches to the right so moved it four clicks to the left for the next time I go out. Figured the high shot at 100 must have just been me.
Bhfs300 you will enjoy the 375 Ruger Guide Gun! A thing you need to keep an eye on is the tang area in the stock. Make sure there is a gap between receiver tang and stock. I had mine crack and Ruger replaced stock free of charge. I have mine set up with a Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36mm duplex scope with low Alaskan Arms quick detach rings. I have had barrel free floated and action bedded. Trigger sear, bolt rails honed and trigger set at crisp 2 pounds on the LC6 factory trigger. This gun thinks it is a varmint rifle as grouping is really good with handloads. I get 1/2" group at 100yds with a 300gr. Nosler Accubond chronographed at 2590fps. with the 20" barrel. This is my elk load.I also load a Woodleigh 350gr. PP with just under an inch group traveling 2391fps. This load would be for heavier animals when I have a chance to go hunting for them. Have fun and enjoy.

Seriously? No kick at all. Some folks like myself just don't like recoil.

@colorado 's "other" rifle is a .500 Jeff. So yeah, no kick at all for him! ;)

I've considered the ole '06 to be upper limits of shooting a whole box tolerably on the range. Chuck Hawks commented that over 20 ft-lbs most shooter tend to develop flinching.

I think this is true for more of us than will admit it, especially off of a bench rest. I consider myself to be fairly recoil tolerant, but when I'm on a bench I use a PAST recoil pad if it is going to be a lot of shooting, or if I haven't shot in a while.

Last edited:
Even the science says all you who are saying that the 375 H&H magnum is a push are lying sacks of shit :)!

PS Slip-on limbsaver has been installed for the next session!

Yeah they told me that about my 500 Jeffery too lol!

@colorado 's "other" rifle is a .500 Jeff. So yeah, no kick at all for him! ;)

I think this is true for more of us than will admit it, especially off of a bench rest. I consider myself to be fairly recoil tolerant, but when I'm on a bench I use a PAST recoil pad if it is going to be a lot of shooting, or if I haven't shot in a while.
Agreed. Off the bench is completely different than being in the field. Don't think I've ever remembered the recoil after shooting game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg