Questions About the CZ 550

Discussion in '.375 & Up' started by Cleathorn, Oct 31, 2009.

1. B9.3

B9.3 AH Veteran

My CZ550 American 9.3x62 is a superb rifle. It was initially a bit rough when cycling but I fixed that by cycling the bolt hundreds of times while watching TV. I love this rifle. It just feels right when shouldered, aimed & fired. My new FN Winchester Model 70 sporter in 30.06 & Safari Express 375 are superb. I believe them to be the best Model 70s ever.
    Boatman was full of crap & there are many innacurate statements in his writings. I think it was he who started the myth that O'Connor was recoil shy. Jack often used a 375 H&H & sometimes used a 300 Weatherby. He said he prefers a 270 over a 30.06 because it shot a little flatter & kicked a little less. That statement tells us the 30.06 kicks more than the 270. It doesn't make the great man recoil shy. Damn, I really miss Jack n Elmer punchin' on. The older I get I tend to think old Elmer knew what he was talking about.

CoElkHunter likes this.

2. lwaters

lwaters BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
    Jack also liked the 416 rigby and published some good handloads for it. It is kind of like Jack always said he had nothing against a guy being fulled with eurphoria hunting plains game with 375 H&H just don't tell him that a 30-06 is inadequate.

3. Daga Boy

Daga Boy AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    CZ are outstanding rifles and the " go to" for many professional hunters, game rangers, etc over here
    I have never owned one in a small, high precision calibre so cant comment on those.
    However my own guiding/back up rifle is a 602 in 458WM . The action could use a longer cartridge ( like the Lott or the Rigby) , but .458WM works for my application, and the rifle itself cant be criticized.
    My son and I also each own one in 9.3 × 62
    If there is a better all round Bush rifle then I have yet to stumble across it
    A little known fact is that many Rigbys were built on CZ barrelled actions
    What greater

Fastrig and CoElkHunter like this.

4. colorado

colorado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    My CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery is my favorite rifle bar none. We have M70s and Rem 700s which we like too, but the CZ is in a class by itself. It's massive action is machined from billet (no investment cast here). It's bolt has no "wiggle" yet is smooth and locks down tight. It points like a fine shotgun and shoots 1/2 MOA with either 570g TSX's or 570g Swift A-Frames. It's solid, accurate, feeds and extracts flawlessly. Not bad to look at either.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2019
    Rob404, jwood1284 and CoElkHunter like this.

5. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Fanatic

Beto,
    I'm an American who may be able to HAVE any weapon of my choice. But, I am an American (like many others) who CAN'T afford any weapon of my choice. I, like probably most, have a budget for things that are nice/fun to have, but that I don't make my living with. I bought a new CZ 550 in .458WM about a month ago, BECAUSE it was one of the few large bore rifle brands I could afford. I've only fired about dozen rounds through it so far. But the action is smooth (with a little lube on the bolt and rails), it's nicely balanced and comes up to point nicely. My only complaint so far, is the trigger has a little bit of creep in it. Send it to AHR for an upgrade? Ha! I can't afford that and pay close to twice what I paid for the rifle new? I'll have to have a local gunsmith smooth the creep out of the trigger somehow. Anyway, I've never owned a CZ rifle or any CRF before. But so far, it seems to be a well built rifle for MY money! Thanks!

Fastrig and Rob404 like this.

6. TiberiusCassius

TiberiusCassius New Member

Member of:
    PHASA
    Installing a Timney Trigger by yourself might well be less expansive than having a gunsmith work for some time on your trigger. Just something to think about.

CoElkHunter likes this.

7. Code4

Code4 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA (2), NZ (2), UK.
    I've owned two. A .308W which I took to Africa for my first paid hunt and a .416Rigby which is now shooting buff in the Northern Territory of Australia with another owner. Great guns. The standard triggers are fine and the bedding is fine (if inspected by a competent gunsmith who knows what they are doing). Don't get sucked into spending extra $ if not needed by people trying to part you with your money. The only fault I found with the .308W was the action would seize up with fine grit because the tolerances were too tight for rough hunting. (yes we got off the truck). My son's .243W Mauser '98 continued to function in the same conditions. I would not hesitate to recommend the CZ550 but only if there wasn't a suitable Mauser '98 for rebuilding in a standard length cartridge.

Quinton and CoElkHunter like this.

8. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Fanatic

Thanks for your perspective on this!

9. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Fanatic

Way off the subject here, but can I load 550gr Woodleighs in my CZ 550 .458WM? I found some for a little over $1.00us a piece. Your a .458WM guy, so I thought I would ask. Thanks!

10. njc110381

njc110381 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    I've owned CZ rifles in .17 Hornet, .22 Hornet, .223 and .243 as well as my latest .416 Rigby. All shot thumbnail groups at 100m. Had I front and rear bagged them to really test them, I suspect they would have pulled those groups in a little more. I put 7000 rounds down my .22 Hornet before I shot it out, it was one of my favourite rifles and less than 10% of those shots were on targets...

CoElkHunter likes this.

11. Rob404

Rob404 AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
    I own 3 CZ550s
    a 308 Männlicher
    a 7x57 Euro stocked
    a 404Jeff with an American
    all great rifles

Fastrig, CoElkHunter and Tucketed like this.