Question on shoes

I use Kenetrek low rise hiking boots. Packing them now for my fourth hunt in Limpopo. They work great.
Get a good pair of gaiters also. Everything in Africa has thorns and you will need gaiters.

I once shot a decent bull caribou while wearing crocs... but that was much more situational circumstance than conscious design. :ROFLMAO:

First I realize there are different terrains but, overall if you fellows , would point out some of the better boots you have carried into the field. Terrain along with that type Of boot. I am looking at do I need new boots r carry what I got. do you need gore Tex? Go for lighter weight? I would like some great insight from the guys that have put some shoes thru the gammit. Thanks in advance for the info.
I’ve hunted in many different boots and have settled on Lowas. The Renegade fits well and even comes in narrow widths which is a rarity. The main reason I bough them, after seeing them at SCI, was the lightweight nature of these boots.
I have also hunted extensively in custom made Russell Moccasins. They are great but get hot at times.
I also rely on quality insoles which I have found at theinsole store.com.
I have a high arch and the replacement insoles I’ve used have been great.
For me my Lowas with good insoles makes me feel like I am walking on air!
All that said, boots are a very personal item. You must find what works for you. That means getting some quality boots and walking in them. A lot!

I cannot tell you which boots will be best as I'm still trying out different boots myself.

However, I will say if you have any sort of foot issues, I would investigate custom orthotics. I have a pair from my podiatrist and a pair from SheepFeet. They are virtually identical except the SheepFeet pair was about $100 or more less with better cushioning. $250 isn't cheap but most are covered with HSA/FSA cards. Happy feet means happy hunting to me.

For me personally I like my Danners for the West Texas style mountains to moderate terrain.
as for general hunting I use waterproof Keens. But most importantly from my "personal" experience get quality socks for the hunt or hike!! I will buy new ones that are not worn out or thinned for each longer/tougher hunt then use them as everyday socks till I pitch them.

My experience in RSA is that hunting is more about walking than clambering over and around obstacles. The walking can be hard, uphill or downhill, or along a hill, or along a valley. Always through thorns mind you. But it is all walking. By comparison, when I hunt northern Ontario it is much more challenging terrain with obstacles such as logs, rocks, marsh etc. Very few thorns. My boots for home require much more support than when I am in South Africa.

My suggestion is pick a boot that allows you to walk. Don't fret that you will do much challenging terrain.

For Africa, where I am not wading, then I am a huge fan of Courtney boots. They are simply perfect for most of the terrain one will find in southern Africa. For the Zambezi Delta, anything that is over the ankle and drains quickly is perfect. I personally use a super light weight jungle boot that Danner built for a USMC competition (lost) and also for a short civilian market appearance. For hunting mountains in North America or Europe, I use Kenetrek. For general hunting in North America and Europe, I am a huge fan of Dubarry. As others have noted, the right socks are almost as important as the correct boot.

Once in Mozambique I hunted 3 days in a pair of sandals when my luggage didn’t make the trip. Wouldn’t recommend that, but it wasn’t an issue at all.

Another vote for lowa renegades with gaiters. I’ve worn mine 3 times in South Africa and a lot on the Appalachian trail. Also a firm believer in merino wool socks, wear them almost every day, I sweat a lot and cotton blisters me. However, my lowas are about as wore out as I am and I’m torn between another pair of them or kenetrek safari hunting boots.

For the last 35+ years the only boots I've worn were Russells. In 1985 I had some problems with my feet which resulted in the Danner Winter lights no longer fitting- my foot is square at the front rather than pointed, and the normal pointed shape of shoes and boots result in pushing my toes into each other, so regardless of brand, the boot needs to be shaped to fit my foot. As for GoreTex, The Danners that I wore from 1977 to 1986 had GoreTex and for a year or so they kept my feet dry, even when wading in water; but then they'd leak- I think the GoreTex dried and cracked thus not working. So in the Russells I have not gotten GoreTex or other water membrane stuff and just use various oils to water resistant them.

Kenetrek for mountains and courtney for flatter areas. Also like my Merrill shoes if it’s super hot and there aren’t any thorns

I like the Goruck Macv-1.

1656723268234.jpeg

In Namibia I wore the high top version of the Skechers shoes that I've worn for years. Lightweight, no break in, good on flat or up and down and enough tread and cushion for rocky terrain. I pulled thorns out of the soles every night but never had one go through.

I'm a big believer in less is more with hunting or hiking footwear in warm weather. The exception being if you need ankle support for some reason. Here in northern WI I have to wear a boot for most of the season. Early season though I'm in the lightest hiking boot or shoe I have. Of course if you want more of a classic look you need leather and/or canvas.

Oh and good socks. Darn Tough.

Last edited:
Just depends on terrain. People overthink footwear and they think it has to match their hunting pants.

I was watching a buffalo hunt on YouTube the other day and the PH was wearing a pair of black and white Converse Chucks

Fred Bear, Wally Johnson, Buzz, wore COnverse - many more wore Palladium - Tony Seth-Smith used to and Natasha Illum-Berg still does

Just depends on terrain. People overthink footwear and they think it has to match their hunting pants.

I was watching a buffalo hunt on YouTube the other day and the PH was wearing a pair of black and white Converse Chucks

I think Ian Gibson wore Converse. I also saw a show where at leat the PH and tracker were wearing green and white converse. I've also heard they're good for soggy environments because they lace up high and are almost impossible to get sucked off your feet.

I bought a pair before I went to Namibia and put a lot of miles on them beforehand but chickened out due to thorns. I now wear them for hiking, working outside, fishing and general day off stuff. I love light minimalist footwear.

I have 3 pair of Courteneys and they are great I prefer the pair with lug soles and have had them since 2005 and I wear them alot even at home on the farm. they aren't cheap but they last.

The Courtney Selous is my choice. Used them exclusively on my 3 trips to Africa. They were great in the sands of the Limpopo and Kalihari. They were great in the rocky mountains of Zimbabwe. I came down stuff so steep I had to go down on my butt and my Courtneys grabbed the rock like a gecko.

Which sole on the Courtney’s would you recommend? The standard tire profile or the ripple profile? One is more grippy, the other more quiet.

Zim in October as a reference for the weather.

I have the standard profile. I really like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JameShiple

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!