Question for the .416 Rigby owners : lightest bullet/round to shoot out to 400 meters

Gert Odendaal

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
Good day to all the good members. It is always a pleasure to ask a question on this great forum. Members, please give data /opinions/ own experiences in regards to shooting the .416 Rigby with light bullets out to 400 meters in `n situation where the hunter needs to kill a wounded large body game animal ?????
I really would appreciate your input..if possible give information on the lightest bullets able to group accurate at 400 meters .

Good day.

I recently killed a blesbok at 205 meters with my 416 Rigby using the 350gr Barnes TSX bullet. That is about as light a bullet as I care to shoot. Assuming the 400-meter scenario you describe needs a bullet now and knowing the bullet will drop a meter at that range, I would get as solid a rest as possible, hold accordingly and let it fly. I am not sure how that load shoots at 400m as I have only practiced out to 200. I can keep 3 shots around 2 inches at 200. The situation must really warrant it for me to take a shot that requires me to "hold on air and not hair". I know there are long range scopes will calculate all that, but I can't imagine having one on a 416.

I killed 10 beautiful animals on our last trip and all shots were under 100m except for the blesbok. He was walking like he was injured (we found out later he had an old bullet wound) and I was bench rest steady on the sticks with the PH supporting my shooting elbow. I felt comfortable taking the shot or I would have definitely wanted to get closer. When it comes to hunting, I want to get as close as possible and then get 10m closer. :)

Safe shooting

Good day.

I recently killed a blesbok at 205 meters with my 416 Rigby using the 350gr Barnes TSX bullet. That is about as light a bullet as I care to shoot. Assuming the 400-meter scenario you describe needs a bullet now and knowing the bullet will drop a meter at that range, I would get as solid a rest as possible, hold accordingly and let it fly. I am not sure how that load shoots at 400m as I have only practiced out to 200. I can keep 3 shots around 2 inches at 200. The situation must really warrant it for me to take a shot that requires me to "hold on air and not hair". I know there are long range scopes will calculate all that, but I can't imagine having one on a 416.

I killed 10 beautiful animals on our last trip and all shots were under 100m except for the blesbok. He was walking like he was injured (we found out later he had an old bullet wound) and I was bench rest steady on the sticks with the PH supporting my shooting elbow. I felt comfortable taking the shot or I would have definitely wanted to get closer. When it comes to hunting, I want to get as close as possible and then get 10m closer. :)

Safe shooting
Ranger thank you kindly, your input is much appreciated..

CEB MAKES A 225gr safari raptor. It would be flat, but effectiveness on large body game could be questionable. Are you talking eland and giraffe, or Buffalo?

I have shot 350gr out to 300. The barnes and speer both shot well, the shortfall was a 1-4 scope. 4x is very easy to hit at 300 but not to evaluate the capability of exact accuracy. I would limit the lightest weight in my 416 Rigby to 350gr, heaviest 450gr.

At some point you've got to pay the BC bill when the shots get longer. Dropping bullet weight may well cost you in greater drift and drop at longer ranges as well as bleeding energy away like crazy. I'd look at a heavier bullet and sacrifice greater recoil for a better performance at distance. If you can use the same bullet up close and at distance there are no changes to forget about and cause errors.

Get closer, much closer.

Members , thank you kindly for the great info. The owner of the .416 Rigby has too many rifles and want to sell most of them . This is why he wants opinions in using the .416 Rigby for different purposes regarding longer range shooting/culling of wounded game animal since he is a Game Farm owner.

Our South African rifle owners really has a huge " problem" when you have a Dedicated Hunter status as well as a Dedicated Sport Shooter status you are allowed to own a very many rifles, shotguns, pistols and semi-auto rifles/shotguns and pistols...

Being a South African hunter and rifle owner we tend to go over -board and accumulate so many rifle /guns that it is near the impossible to use every one during a period of two years...so they are all hibernating in a rifle safe ...

Sometime you just need to get rid of too many rifles you are not using...but for sure it is a great "problem" to have and experience for sure (y) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I am with @AZDAVE - lighter bullets leave the muzzle faster but shed velocity much sooner than heavier ones. I also wouldn't use anything lighter than 350 grains in a .416 Rigby. This is doubly valid if, as you state, this gentleman needs to "kill large wounded animals" at long distances. If your friend is a game farm owner, unless this property contains a good amount of buffalo and pachyderms, may I suggest that perhaps the .416 Rigby may not be the most appropriate rifle for this kind of work?

We may need a bit more information in order to give you more pointed advice.

Sometime you just need to get rid of too many rifles you are not using...but for sure it is a great "problem" to have and experience for sure (y) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I'm not following you here. Please rephrase the comment for those of us that do not have photogenic auction block kitchen counters or are otherwise disinclined to part with our rifles.

I'd just stick to whatever you use for buffalo and learn the holdover. This way if you come across a buffalo or a lion that fancies you, you're well armed.

Being a South African hunter and rifle owner we tend to go over -board and accumulate so many rifle /guns that it is near the impossible to use every one during a period of two years...so they are all hibernating in a rifle safe ...

Hey Gert,

You have no idea... :)

Having spent 50 years as a Class A gun affectionado I have more rifles and handguns that I can shoot. I have a few, including a pre-war M70 in 30 Super (300 H&H) that I haven't fired. Shame on me!

Yesterday I loaded my spotting scope, standing bench and seven rifles from .17 HMR to .375 H&H in my 8' wagon for sighting in and practice. I shot at 50, 100, and 200 yards. I even shot my .375 prone rather than the standing bench at 200 to see how good I could do. I wanted to bring out my .416's but it was sunny and a bit too warm.

As I was writing this from my deer stand I shot a woodchuck with my .17 HMR. Life is good.

The trouble is that without needing permits for additional firearms purchasing, a man can go broke!

IMG_20220704_104204101_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20220705_194742325~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you really want something truly versatile, you could just get a .375..... :A Way To Go::A Way To Go:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg