Question for Outfitters and PHs

Can't imagine lugging that cumbersome schitttt around in the field, no matter in the US or Africa. Blind hunting, maybe.

So, you are a excellent marksman or perhaps a risk taker my friend.. :unsure:.... how many people can hitting a apple on even 150 yards standing with a par shooting sticks.. and to be 100 % sure to smack it.

Unfortunately I'm not more than 40-50 % sure that I can manage that. On 100 yards its better perhaps around 80 % and on 50 yards 100 % , so therefore on 400 yards it's a big risk.

:E Hmmm:now gordon are these apples dangerous once you get to 50 yards.........and are the trophy fees different for green or red ones, and what calibre do you suggest for them? :A Banana::E Crazy::E Big Grin::D Beers:

Yes that's the big question Spike ? :Smug:....

Seriously, for that 150 yard "red" apple I prefer to sitting with a tripod, than it's more confident... The only problem down here can be the high grass.

For sitting and kneeling position I have only used Cullmann tripods for the last 25 years, this is the 3 one I have and covered in leather to be totally silence.

G
image.jpg

Last edited:
In my opinion... too big and it seems like it will be noisy AND a big hassle to carry along on a stalk, especially up in the mountains after Kudu bulls.

I just purchased the magnum version and it appears very solid. I have not had a chance to shoot from it yet but I have had a chance to dry fire from it and it is as solid a rest as I've ever used. Essentially sand bags that can be moved easily to aim and can be used from a variety of positions. It is quiet once set up- no noise at all.

This device has minimal utility for a hunter on the move- it is too big and heavy. I can see that it may be of utility in a leopard blind. In my case, I purchased it for a very specific purpose: to introduce novices to hunting.

Where I live is city surrounded by suburbs with few areas suitable for hunting safely. I have the great fortune to live on sufficient acreage to be able to shoot on my land and I also work with people who have never hunted or even shot a firearm before. I don't want them to end up as anti-hunters or anti-gun people. I believe that most reasonable people given the chance to shoot safely will see that firearms are not inherently evil. I understand that not everyone wants to hunt, but I don't want someone to end up as an anti-hunter simply because (s)he has never had the opportunity to try it.

The people I will be teaching are resident physicians so they don't have a tremendous amount of free time. I can teach them how to handle a firearm safely in a few minutes and necessary animal anatomy in a few more minutes. I can't teach them all the shooting positions nor the proper use of a shooting sling in the available time. But I can teach them basic trigger technique and natural point of aim and I can have them consistently hitting a target from a supported position at 50 yards in the available time. If they want to try shooting at a live animal, I want to maximize their chance of a clean kill. I believe I owe the animal that respect. It appears that this device will help me achieve my goals.

There is a significant overpopulation of deer where I live. For the health of the herd and the safety of local drivers, a good number need to be harvested. The county even has signs up in stores asking people to hunt more deer. Limits are high and additional doe tags are free for the asking. It is legal to hunt over bait. It is more about ethical harvesting than it is about experiencing the challenge of the hunt. They will be set up at close range and will wait for the perfect broadside shot. It is a chance to learn firearms safety and to see first-hand that hunters care about the wildlife and that we aren't bloodthirsty murderers. It is a chance to show people where hunting fits in to the overall health of the herds. It is a chance to bring people into the fold.

I don't want someone's first experience to be a gut shot or an otherwise wounded animal and in my situation where I can set the new hunter up in the loft of my barn shooting at a known range, I believe this device will be quite helpful. I want the first experience to be a positive experience. I hope they go on to more extensive shooting instruction and I hope I kindle a passion for hunting in them.

Too bulky to carry in the bush, agree good for a blind.

When/If you quickly need to get on sticks it appears these will slow you down a bit, even loose the opportunity of the shot. They may have a place - but not on a walk and stalk.

I can only see using them for long range shooting and maybe getting use to shooting for a new hunter.....but I never will own one. I don't even own a Caldwell lead sled. I think it's just better to use your body and steady bench with sand bags to zero a rifle. The more gadgets you use....doesn't help you when you have to shoot in the field and actually use good shooting form, that is just my two cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg