QR Scope mounts

Does anybody use german claw mounts, or swing mounts?
I saw zero comments on them above.
Why not?

I have used the EAW pivot mounts. They are excellent. They will typically result in a higher mount than Talley’s. However, with the offset, they are likely to allow you to mount the scope further back than the Talley or Warner systems. It is really application dependent.

Be prepared, they are about 2.5x the cost of the Talley system.

I use Warne steel Weaver bases with Leupold QRW rings. These are great rings if you prefer a traditional, non vertically split ring like the Talley. Also a bit less expensive. Yet they are very repeatable, very strong, and have quick release levers on the side, much like the Talley.

I use Warne steel Weaver bases with Leupold QRW rings. These are great rings if you prefer a traditional, non vertically split ring like the Talley. Also a bit less expensive. Yet they are very repeatable, very strong, and have quick release levers on the side, much like the Talley.

Agreed, I’ve used the QRW extensively. Great system. I’ve migrated to Talley’s as I think they are easier to set up, but still have QRW’s on my .375.

Why not?
I have EAW or clone mounts on three or four rifles. They work. But they are far more complex than Talley's and no more accurate with respect to consistent repeatability of zero.

Claw mounts are another league altogether. Rings and bases installed by someone who knows what they are doing will $1200 - 1500 just for the mounts. They absolutely work, but are best used on a drilling or double rifle. I have only two sets on bolt actions and they typically require a specific ring for a particular scope objective or a rail mount. They are, however, ideal on a couple of drillings and a pair of my double rifles.

Any factory seconds ? Shopsoiled ? Just asking for a friend
I am not aware—but they are good people making a great product!!

I have some leupold steel bases, sounds like those and Talley QD mounts would be the way to go.

Thank you Gents!

I have Leupold QRs on several rifles including my 375HH never a problem, Never a loss of zero and I like the EZ on EZ off of their design. I also like the Alaska Arms over the Talleys

Question
With use of lowest possible mount, talley, warne, or similar has anybody experienced problem with ejection, that ejected casings were hitting the scope, and possibly ending back in action causing problem of jamming?

I have Leupold QR's on my .375 H&H with no issues. With the scope removed, you can still use the irons.

used both Talley and Warne, both worked and returned to zero when removed and reinstalled.

It's personal choice really. If I'm being honest, I've largely gone completely away from QD rings on all my rifles with a couple exceptions (mostly because my Merkel K1 and K3 came that way).

I like Leupold and Warne over the Tally's. The Warne in particular has the feature of being able to "sight through" the top of the rings, where the two halves come together. I rather like that - a scope can fail at any time, including a dicey stalk. So that capacity (granted, very short range) is not a bad feature can be handy at 10 yards.

The primary truth though is that I've gone to Talley Lightweights for most of my rifles and don't worry about the QD part.

Why not?
I have the EAW pivot mounts and love them. I had no experience with that style of mount before I got them so I had JJ Perodeau put them on. It was a huge bonus that I also got to look around his gun vault and handle the rifles he had for sale.

I've had Leupold QR mounts and really liked them. Once I bought some Talleys because Leupold didn't have a screw hold spacing to fit. the Talleys have a split ring that is held in place by a screw. the "permanent" model needs a star drive to remove the screw while the detachable model has a lever head to finger turn the screw. so a set of two bases come with two each of the screws. three of the four screws were fine, but the fourth which happened to be a finger lever screw had a defect (possibly a barb on the threads). The three turned in and out easily but the fourth required much more effort. I contacted the supplier, which seems to me was Midway and also Talley customer service. All that I wanted was a working lever screw. The supplier refused, claiming that since I had tried to insert the screw I would have damaged it and invalidated the warrantee. Talley said much the same thing but if I wanted to return the product at my expense they would look it over and see if I was at fault for the damage. I had a set of Leupolds modified to fit the receiver and the Talleys are in a box somewhere on a shelf.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but..., why does there appear to be a preference for QR mounts for large caliber rifles. I get it if you desire to use different scopes on a particular rifle but if you intend to leave the scope on the rifle what are the advantages?

Why not?

Claw mounts must be hand-fit - usually end up on custom rifles, especially doubles and mauser-based rifles.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but..., why does there appear to be a preference for QR mounts for large caliber rifles. I get it if you desire to use different scopes on a particular rifle but if you intend to leave the scope on the rifle what are the advantages?

It's the what-if game. What if i am shooting a buffalo and my reticle breaks? Do you want that scope on your rifle when said buffalo sticks that rifle where the sun don't shine? no sir. You pop that scope off to make extraction easier by your PH.

Personally - I just like open sights and QD rings to occasionaly use them. Talleys work well. Phil Shoemaker has had the same 2.5x leupold on hi 458 win mag for 30+ years I think - nary an issue. Good scope, by the way...

Two reasons are common. One is actually a non-reason anymore with the quality of scopes, but the fear of being somewhere and having the scope break would make the rifle useless- but with a Detachable mount, the scope is easily removed and either the rifles iron sights used, or a second, already sighted-in scope mounted. problem corrected.

The other reason is iron sights are considered by many to be superior to a scope for close-in fast shooting, so the DG animal is in the thick brush making any contact will be a close tange and little time; so the scope is removed and iron sights used.

I have moved away from QD mounts on most of my hunting rifles. Most of my rifles have fixed, low, steel Talley mounts. I can carry a tool in my kit if I need to remove them. Having the same mounts on most of my rifles allows me to swap scopes between them,,, of course, I need to resight after the swap, but that is no trouble.

My .404 has QD mounts and a folding aperture sight and front ramp, in case there is a need to use irons.

I have also had good service from Leupold mounts, but I like to use the same brand mounts/bases on all my rifles to aid flexibility and simplicity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luchkabody

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!