Qatar Airways

Buzzy4

Reaction score
I will be traveling from Dallas to Windhoek, Namibia on Qatar Airways in September. I will have a 9 hour layover in Doha. I checked with Qatar Airways to get their regulations for flying with firearms and ammunition. Here is their reply:

• Please note that there is no guarantee of confirmation or acceptance provided until the time of check in as physical inspection of the firearm by Qatar Airways staff is necessary
• Upon check in, you must present documents accrediting the approval of the movement of the firearm from the States of origin, transit (if applicable) and destination.
• You will have to sign the Declaration of Surrender of Firearms; the weapon must be unloaded. If possible, the weapon should be dismantled and packed inside a suitcase or gun case
• The maximum gross weight of the ammunition must not exceed 5 kg per passenger. The ammunition must be securely packed in a sealed and strong wooden, metal, or fiberboard box and must be packed inside a suitcase with other contents.
• The suitcase containing the ammunition must not bear an “explosive” label. The weapon or ammunition must not be stowed in the cabin or in any area accessible during the flight.
Please send to us at least 4 days prior to departure copy of Hunting invitation letter, prove of fire arm license and copy of passport, to send to the Airports for previous approval.

Has anyone else flown through Doha recently? If so, can you help me out on the points I have highlighted in red?
I have no clue what they want on the first item. As for the second, what do they mean by "sealed" box (locked? maybe)? And I will have a hard time showing my firearms license since we don't have those (yet) in the USA.

You will need a CBP form 4457 filled out for sure. I have not flown Qatar, but have flown Emirates. I just made sure to have my 4457, copies of invitation letter, and their permit (which I had to apply for within a month of departure). You might ask a travel agent that specializes in travelling with firearms who are familiar with Qatar's policies. @Travel Express may be able to shed some light on it.

As far as packing the ammo, there are several threads on here that can help. Here are a few.
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/ammo-box.47807/
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/ammo-packing-question.47120/
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/ammo-box.45934/

I will be traveling from Dallas to Windhoek, Namibia on Qatar Airways in September. I will have a 9 hour layover in Doha. I checked with Qatar Airways to get their regulations for flying with firearms and ammunition. Here is their reply:

• Please note that there is no guarantee of confirmation or acceptance provided until the time of check in as physical inspection of the firearm by Qatar Airways staff is necessary
• Upon check in, you must present documents accrediting the approval of the movement of the firearm from the States of origin, transit (if applicable) and destination.
• You will have to sign the Declaration of Surrender of Firearms; the weapon must be unloaded. If possible, the weapon should be dismantled and packed inside a suitcase or gun case
• The maximum gross weight of the ammunition must not exceed 5 kg per passenger. The ammunition must be securely packed in a sealed and strong wooden, metal, or fiberboard box and must be packed inside a suitcase with other contents.
• The suitcase containing the ammunition must not bear an “explosive” label. The weapon or ammunition must not be stowed in the cabin or in any area accessible during the flight.
Please send to us at least 4 days prior to departure copy of Hunting invitation letter, prove of fire arm license and copy of passport, to send to the Airports for previous approval.

Has anyone else flown through Doha recently? If so, can you help me out on the points I have highlighted in red?
I have no clue what they want on the first item. As for the second, what do they mean by "sealed" box (locked? maybe)? And I will have a hard time showing my firearms license since we don't have those (yet) in the USA.

I flew to RSA in late May in QA. I’ve posted a couple things about this including a couple days ago. I’m at work and don’t have time to give you links, but if you search you can find the info.

I flew with Qatar in February to Namibia from DFW. I used a locked pelican 1170 for ammo in my big rolling duffel we checked. I used Travel with guns. You will need ur 4457, invitation from outfitter and passport. It was a piece of cake!!

How did you pack your ammo?

Just about any lockable box will work. Some have used a old kids lunch box.

I suggest that if you are flying within Sough Africa to have a handle of some kind on the box so that when you have to place a luggage ticket onto it there is somewhere to attach it. As a FYI when you fly within South Africa the ammo goes as a separate piece of luggage with your firearm case. Sometimes they enforce that requirement and sometimes they don't. When I flew from NYC to Joberg to Port Elizabeth they didn't say a word on the Joberg to Port Elizabeth leg but coming back they did.

Lots of info on other threads, but you do not need to spend a fortune on ammo box. I used the attached survival box, $ 9.99 on sale at Cabelas. Just drilled the hole out slightly so one of my master locks(bought a set of 6 keyed alike on Amazon) would fit. Painless. No questions at all.
IMG_0744.JPG

Lots of info on other threads, but you do not need to spend a fortune on ammo box. I used the attached survival box, $ 9.99 on sale at Cabelas. Just drilled the hole out slightly so one of my master locks(bought a set of 6 keyed alike on Amazon) would fit. Painless. No questions at all.
View attachment 298110
I used the same cases, Seems stupid that your ammo can be in the suitcase on the way in but has to be separate on the way out,, TIA

I had the same box only in olive green. As I mentioned my problem was putting the luggage ticket onto it. I ended up opening it up and running the ticket through it and then closing and locking it back up. It would be nice if there was some kind of a handle on it.

I had the same box only in olive green. As I mentioned my problem was putting the luggage ticket onto it. I ended up opening it up and running the ticket through it and then closing and locking it back up. It would be nice if there was some kind of a handle on it.

Ace Hardware, Amazon, Ebay $ 3.99 and you got your handle
IMG_0838.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg