Purchasing 470 nitro Ammunition from members

Buckmaster1

AH veteran
Joined
May 6, 2024
Messages
189
Reaction score
355
Media
4
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
2
Good afternoon was wondering if someone could help me as I am new to this site. I have advertised to buy some Federal 470 nitro Ammunition and have had a couple of hits. Both of the hits are brand new members and I would like to know how to protect myself and the new members on this purchase.
 
Brand new is a good way to say "bad news" on classifieds in my experience.
 
I am not going to make any assumptions but I don’t feel good about the brand new eather although I’m pretty new myself. You guys helped me find the rifle I was looking for but I didn’t feel uncomfortable with it and things went great. Thanks
 
Use the search function to see the quality and type of posts they’ve made. If it seems legit give them a call. A scammer can’t intelligently talk about hunting and shooting on a phone call. I’d generally avoid most new members though if they are looking to sell. Unfortunately a want to buy ad is a target for scammers.
 
Good afternoon was wondering if someone could help me as I am new to this site. I have advertised to buy some Federal 470 nitro Ammunition and have had a couple of hits. Both of the hits are brand new members and I would like to know how to protect myself and the new members on this purchase.
If the only contact has been through a PM, not a response on the WTB you posted, be very leery. Legit members will post a "pm sent" at a minimum.
If they try to move you to email or a text only conversation, be leery. Legit members are more than happy to actually talk to you on the phone.
Good luck with it. You are doing the right thing by asking questions first.
 
Also, be on the lookout for someone that responds in the thread and then someone else starts off a different PM with something like "I'm the actual owner who XXX was going to get us connected to...." or something similar as that's been somewhat of a common intercept tactic recently.
 
Once again I am indebted to you guys and gals that’s exactly what happened. You can text me at X number is what the reply said.
Report that to @BRICKBURN in the scammer thread. Bet it won't take long to see another POS booted
 
Do you folks know these members?
IMG_2445.png
 
Yeaahhh, I'd say scammer
 
Take a look at posts made by the users. There is a pattern done by scammers of mostly meaningless posts and “welcome to AH”. New hunters don’t typically own 470s. I’d assume both to be scammers. You’ll also note the title of message is exactly the same in both messages to you. I’d assume scammer.

IMG_4855.png
IMG_4854.png
IMG_4856.jpeg
 
Yep, many of the "new member" scammers will "glaze the ham" so to speak before they strike. I'm probably too cautious but I won't buy anything from a new member unless they want to drive here and deliver it to me COD. LOL
 
Yeah tough, some of us newer members are actually not scammers but agree that a WTB post is a target. Ask for refs and as has been said here try to talk to them. IMO a scammer won't try to impersonate someone who knows what they're talking about - they're after the easy mark.
 
I sold a shotgun to a new member, had 1 post responding to an older classified. But he gave me his cell number, we spoke on the phone at some length, and he was willing to jump through the hoops I gave him to verify he was legit. Most new members joined for the same reason most of us did. Unfortunately, the bad apples make everyone a bit cynical. There's been a few scammers that took the time to no longer be "new" before they ripped someone off. So it's always in your best interest to vet someone before you put your money out. Direct phone calls seem to be the most effective to separate the legit from the thieves when there's any question.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,307
Messages
1,572,360
Members
169,532
Latest member
subsrotestheo1978
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top