Pulled The Trigger(s)

Here's hoping it shoots half as good as it looks!

Or maybe I should say, here's hoping I can shoot it half as good as it looks! ;)

Time will tell....

Here's hoping it shoots half as good as it looks!

Or maybe I should say, here's hoping I can shoot it half as good as it looks! ;)

Time will tell....
A great looking rifle. I'm still trying to resist the double bug.

A great looking rifle. I'm still trying to resist the double bug.

lol - resistance is futile!

My wife was laughing at me because just last week I was pontificating to her how I will never buy a double because it is not practical....yada, yada, yada.

They I finally convinced myself I can buy a double (for the right price) use if for a couple years, get my fix, then sell it for $1k less than I paid. I essentially just rent the rifle for $500 per year.

Small price to pay for the fun and experience of playing with and loading for a double.

Plus I get to hunt buffalo with it!

Congrats Tim!

Yeah, whenever you say "I will never....." Seems to be about the time you do something.

First congratz on the new double!!!! Second when you are ready to sell it for a 1000 less call me(y)

Butch makes a nice double.

Well gents, check is in the mail.

Now I sit and wait like an expectant parent!

Tim, congrats on the new double. I've all ready given your 416 Rigby a good home so please let me know when your done paying rent on that double.

Well gents, check is in the mail.

Now I sit and wait like an expectant parent!

Some unsolicited advice, yes from a double newbie, but I think it worthwhile:

1) Give IMR 7977 a go. You can fill the case with this slow powder so you won't need to use filler. Start at 118gr and shoot over a chrono recording velocity at each load. Per Hodgdon reloading website, the max load is 123gr. I've gone to max, but watching the chrono, things start getting weird at about 120/121gr -- velocity going down as load goes up kind of weird. 119gr put me at 2170fps or so with like a 6fps std deviation. What I also noted around 120/121gr is the felt recoil was sharper and the rifle became a bit more difficult to control on firing. Max velocity I got in that range was 2265fps. I don't think I need/want that extra 100fps if a second shot takes longer to line up due to the rifle jump.

2) The shell holder is huge. The Lyman priming tool is the one to have for this. The RCBS version that is similar won't accept the shell holder, too big.

3) I found my shot limit for a trip to the range is about 10 max. After a few goes with it now, I'm getting more and more used to the recoil, but still at shot 10 my head is telling me that's enough. With a PAST pad on the shoulder, no pain at this point. My first trip I shot 14 or so and that was too much. Sore shoulder and a bit of a headache.

4) If you shoot at a public range, prepare to attract a crowd. This rifle goes BOOM and when those around you take a look, they can't help themselves but come and inspect closer.

The bullet I've worked with using 7977 is the 500gr Woodleigh soft by the way. I suspect things will change somewhat with other bullets.

Some unsolicited advice, yes from a double newbie, but I think it worthwhile:

1) Give IMR 7977 a go. You can fill the case with this slow powder so you won't need to use filler. Start at 118gr and shoot over a chrono recording velocity at each load. Per Hodgdon reloading website, the max load is 123gr. I've gone to max, but watching the chrono, things start getting weird at about 120/121gr -- velocity going down as load goes up kind of weird. 119gr put me at 2170fps or so with like a 6fps std deviation. What I also noted around 120/121gr is the felt recoil was sharper and the rifle became a bit more difficult to control on firing. Max velocity I got in that range was 2265fps. I don't think I need/want that extra 100fps if a second shot takes longer to line up due to the rifle jump.

2) The shell holder is huge. The Lyman priming tool is the one to have for this. The RCBS version that is similar won't accept the shell holder, too big.

3) I found my shot limit for a trip to the range is about 10 max. After a few goes with it now, I'm getting more and more used to the recoil, but still at shot 10 my head is telling me that's enough. With a PAST pad on the shoulder, no pain at this point. My first trip I shot 14 or so and that was too much. Sore shoulder and a bit of a headache.

4) If you shoot at a public range, prepare to attract a crowd. This rifle goes BOOM and when those around you take a look, they can't help themselves but come and inspect closer.

The bullet I've worked with using 7977 is the 500gr Woodleigh soft by the way. I suspect things will change somewhat with other bullets.
Hey Phil,
I just loaded some starting at 118, 119, 120 to check velocity. Glad you posted this, it gives me more confidence as 7977 data is slim!
Dead nuts on the Lyman priming tool, think I will toss my RCBS one after using the Lyman!
Going to shoot them this afternoon

Hey Phil,
I just loaded some starting at 118, 119, 120 to check velocity. Glad you posted this, it gives me more confidence as 7977 data is slim!
Dead nuts on the Lyman priming tool, think I will toss my RCBS one after using the Lyman!
Going to shoot them this afternoon

Great, please post your results so we can compare notes. What bullet are did you load?

Thanks for the tips Phil .470 is brand new territory for me!

Congrats, it´s a beauty !

Loaded my first .470 ammo.

First some Trophy Bonded 500gr Sledgehammer Solids with 5744 just to get to know the triggers and general familiarization. About 1,600fps.

Then some Barnes 500gr Banded Solids with IMR 4831 (should be running about 2,100 or so) to get her warmed up.

Probably not going to shoot any of these off bench or sticks...just offhand. I want to get to know the rifle before I try to get intimate. :LOL:

IMG_1614.JPG

Loaded my first .470 ammo.

First some Trophy Bonded 500gr Sledgehammer Solids with 5744 just to get to know the triggers and general familiarization. About 1,600fps.

Then some Barnes 500gr Banded Solids with IMR 4831 (should be running about 2,100 or so) to get her warmed up.

Probably not going to shoot any of these off bench or sticks...just offhand. I want to get to know the rifle before I try to get intimate. :LOL:

View attachment 231361
Bet you used that same line of BS on all the girls! I just take them right to the bench!
How did your new press work? Plenty of room?

How did your new press work? Plenty of room?

Let's just say "adequate".

With the Banded solids, I either had to run the bullet up into the die prior to putting the case into the shellholder, or set the bullet on the case and angle the bullet into the die as I wiggle the rim into the shellholder. Too long to put the case in, then run the bullet up into the die.

The Sledgehammers I could just barely seat bullets in the normal fashion.

A-Frames should be easy...they are kinda short.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you