Professional Hunter gift

M70375!

AH fanatic
Joined
Mar 8, 2024
Messages
725
Reaction score
1,095
Location
Wyoming
Media
18
Hunting reports
Africa
3
Hunted
Botswana, Mozambique Alaska, Canada, MT WY NM ID ND SD OR KS
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone would have any ideas, I want to buy one of my PH's a gift, not a tip , but a gift as he has helped me so much and been so kind to me. I have about a $1000 budget for this, anyone got any suggestions? I am considering a pair of Swarovski 10x25 binoculars, but thought I would see if anyone else might have a better idea.
Thanks
 
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone would have any ideas, I want to buy one of my PH's a gift, not a tip , but a gift as he has helped me so much and been so kind to me. I have about a $1000 budget for this, anyone got any suggestions? I am considering a pair of Swarovski 10x25 binoculars, but thought I would see if anyone else might have a better idea.
Thanks
Some of those guys don't/can't spend the money on something like Courteney boots. I sent my PH a pair of Courteney safaris when I got back home. I think they're around $400 shipped.
 
Have you hunted with this PH? or just helped plan your hunt? Unless you know him well and know what he needs add $1000 to his tip. It will be appreciated much more or if you think a gift is absolutely necessary spend $100 on a gift and add $900 to his tip. I’ve asked PHs if they need anything prior to each trip and have brought over a lot of various items for them and their wives but wouldn’t try and guess a $1000 gift suggestion. This will be unpopular but many gifts given to PHs get sold or traded as well. They can only have so many knives and so many binoculars. They only keep their favorites or the best. I even know cases where custom made double rifle given as gift was sold. The cash is a lot more valuable unless you know exactly what they want and need.
 
I agree with @375Fox. Unless it is something he wants and can use. I have taken gifts for PHs and Staff like all others have in past. I have had PH ask me instead of tipping him in cash could I bring Swaro products instead also. The high end optics are more expensive there. All depends on how well you know the PH also.
 
Yup, cash is King. Along with a good tip, I usually give him a box of custom .375 H&H Barnes TSX and 243 TTSX along with any remaining ammo at the end of my hunt.

If your PH comes to the states for the show circuit, a $100 gift certificate to a place that you know they patronize i.e. Cabela’s or Similar and then a card expressing your gratitude and cash.

My PH made a side trip to SF to visit me an few years ago and I took him to Harris steak house for a dry aged porterhouse that he still brags about as being the best steak he’s ever had! I also took him fishing and on a few other quick trips, including Tahoe.

All the hats, shirts, knives, and other similar items usually get traded or handed out to staff…
 
My suggestion would be a winch for the back of his truck bed to help load heavy animals if he doesn't have one yet.
 
Cash is king, but guns and high end optics are a close second
 
I completely agree with @375Fox
Cash first.
Then some referrals for new clients.
Definitely leave unused ammo
And then book another hunt with your PH!
Yes if you can afford a $1000 gift why not just patronise him with more hunts.

But hey, if he done you right and you feel like you should then do it.

Maybe cases and projectiles are of value as a gift. Yes he burns them up but if they are hard to come by he might appreciate them and he is not collecting gifts he doesn’t use.
 
Give your ph the cash. BUT I would ask if there was anything specific they would like you to bring with you. A brand or product they cannot get or is cheaper to get here than there. . .
 
Have you hunted with this PH? or just helped plan your hunt? Unless you know him well and know what he needs add $1000 to his tip. It will be appreciated much more or if you think a gift is absolutely necessary spend $100 on a gift and add $900 to his tip. I’ve asked PHs if they need anything prior to each trip and have brought over a lot of various items for them and their wives but wouldn’t try and guess a $1000 gift suggestion. This will be unpopular but many gifts given to PHs get sold or traded as well. They can only have so many knives and so many binoculars. They only keep their favorites or the best. I even know cases where custom made double rifle given as gift was sold. The cash is a lot more valuable unless you know exactly what they want and need.

Yes - 100% agree with this. Small gift and bigger tip
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,435
Messages
1,576,124
Members
170,518
Latest member
LamarKovac
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top