Primer flattening question

Check the bolt face to see if there’s any pitting from (slightly) leaking gases escaping through the primer.
If so, that’s a sure sign if very high pressure.

Need to be careful with those old manuals. The recipes for the various powders change over time and with those changes the max loads change too.
Fair point Phil, I've never had a problem but that is not to say it could not happen. It's amazing to me how significant the change in bulk density of a powder can change from one batch to another.

Yes. My micrometer sits right against the belt on the “web” I believe they call it. I have machined cases down to the belt and you can see how it is thinning out after a number of reloads. Eventually if you full length resize, it can separate there. In my experience you will have to anneal the neck at least once or it will split before it separates at the web.
This is a good point! Micrometers are needed to measure case head expansion accurately, a set of calibers is handy for measuring COAL and other broad dimensions, but they will not do you much good measuring case heads.

Check the bolt face to see if there’s any pitting from (slightly) leaking gases escaping through the primer.
If so, that’s a sure sign if very high pressure.

No sign of that thankfully.

This is a good point! Micrometers are needed to measure case head expansion accurately, a set of calibers is handy for measuring COAL and other broad dimensions, but they will not do you much good measuring case heads.

Looks like a micrometer might need to be my next purchase.

I loaded up some more cartridges with 1 grain less powder. The next time I go to the range I'll fire some of those and some factory loads for comparison.

Thanks to all of you for all your help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imogen6571

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois