Pre Safari Physical Training P.T.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 8.04.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 8.04.26 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 73
That machine on the top of page 5 looks like a torture chamber !
Me? Recently near dislocated my R shoulder, again. Two lots of surgery in the past...

I went to a home gym after the Chinese Flu shut my public gym down. It has been a great investment
1676380643263.jpeg

1676380679054.jpeg

1676380707467.jpeg

1676380792870.jpeg

May I say after reading your start with rifle and regulation load work, to your PT work to your as close to the real thing as possible…you are ready!!! I wish you great success!!! After all the work your mental confidence which is so important should be sky high!!! Congratulations on your road traveled…it will pay off!!!
Thanks! I hope I'm ready, I take my hunt train up and shooting pretty seriously. I have spent a great deal of time, and unfortunately a lot of cash that could have been spent on hunting, trying to find a rifle that shot and functioned to suit me.
I have been very strict with the eating for the past month, and plan to continue to do so, I'm down 14lbs so far and hope to get another 20 or 30 before the hunt, I needed to do that whether I had a hunt coming up or not.
It is very important to me to not be one of those guys the PH or guide feels like he has to "babysit".

I will be breaking my dry spell next week at the SCI for at least one night most likely, but I have taken some motivation from @Tanks and made arrangements to get in a couple of good workouts while I'm in Nashville. I have 117 days until I leave for Zim. I plan to make the most of it!

Last edited:
While I am not a big fan of posting pics of myself or even taking pics of myself as far as that goes, I thought it might be interesting to post a running log here leading up to my hunt. The first pic of me on the rabbit hunt was from late Dec/early Jan. I started eating Keto and taking my working out seriously the day after the DSC. Which was exactly 45 days ago. So here is a pic from pre DSC and a couple from today. I have logged 68.1 miles between walking, hiking, and running in the last 45 days and have been in the gym an average of at least 3 days a week. If things stay on track for the next 110 days I expect to be in pretty good shape for the hunt this June.
Screenshot_20230221-072522.png
Screenshot_20230221-074449.png

While I am not a big fan of posting pics of myself or even taking pics of myself as far as that goes, I thought it might be interesting to post a running log here leading up to my hunt. The first pic of me on the rabbit hunt was from late Dec/early Jan. I started eating Keto and taking my working out seriously the day after the DSC. Which was exactly 45 days ago. So here is a pic from pre DSC and a couple from today. I have logged 68.1 miles between walking, hiking, and running in the last 45 days and have been in the gym an average of at least 3 days a week. If things stay on track for the next 110 days I expect to be in pretty good shape for the hunt this June.
View attachment 518626View attachment 518625

Awesome! Well done @Backyardsniper ! There is a muscled Viking in there !

... I started eating Keto and taking my working out seriously the day after the DSC. Which was exactly 45 days ago. ...
Good job. The most important portion of any fitness program is the diet. Looks like you are just doing fine.

Figured I would let y'all know I am still in the fight. Down about 25lbs now and we have 75 days to go. I am really hoping to get another 25, just because I like round numbers and that would put me at 50lbs lost in about 150 days. I am shooting for 12 miles in under 3 hours with a ruck. I got 12 miles today in just under 3 hours with no ruck. Considering I'm 44 years old I wouldn't even be mad at 3.5 hours, but you have to set the standard high. The army standard is 12 miles with a 35lb ruck so that's what I'm shooting for. If I can do that I feel confident I can walk and stalk comfortably all day.
Screenshot_20230327-120003.png

Figured I would let y'all know I am still in the fight. Down about 25lbs now and we have 75 days to go. I am really hoping to get another 25, just because I like round numbers and that would put me at 50lbs lost in about 150 days. I am shooting for 12 miles in under 3 hours with a ruck. I got 12 miles today in just under 3 hours with no ruck. Considering I'm 44 years old I wouldn't even be mad at 3.5 hours, but you have to set the standard high. The army standard is 12 miles with a 35lb ruck so that's what I'm shooting for. If I can do that I feel confident I can walk and stalk comfortably all day.View attachment 525543
Well done. I need to shed about 15 pounds, the extra weight has slowly built up and my heel spur is taking the brunt of it.

@Backyardsniper Great job. My journey goes on, had my monthly DEXA scan today. Gained a pound (at 179.6 lbs now), lost 2.2 pounds of fat and gained 3.3 pounds of lean muscle mass since last month.

Body re-composition is working as in the last 4 months I lost one pound of weight, lost 7.7 pounds of fat mass and gained 6.6 pounds of lean muscle mass. Kinda proves that the scale doesn't tell the whole story.

strong work Justin! stay the course..

Justin, I use a weighted vest now instead of a pack. It works the core more but you can’t use as much weight. I’m at 40lbs now hope to go to 60 soon.

Well done. I need to shed about 15 pounds, the extra weight has slowly built up and my heel spur is taking the brunt of it.
I have become a true believer in the Keto. It seems to be the most sustainable/least miserable method I have found. You can easily clean up 15lbs in about 6 weeks with it.

Justin, I use a weighted vest now instead of a pack. It works the core more but you can’t use as much weight. I’m at 40lbs now hope to go to 60 soon.
I need to check into one of those vests. That is probably a better way to go. It would be easier to use in the gym as well. Wearing it while ducking under the squat bar and stuff like that. We set up a couple of squat racks sometimes with one bar high and one low. Pick up a sand bag and Chuck it over the high bar and then grab another and hold it while ducking under the low one. I figured it to be a reasonable way to train mobility for ducking in and around brush while stalking.

Figured I would let y'all know I am still in the fight. Down about 25lbs now and we have 75 days to go. I am really hoping to get another 25, just because I like round numbers and that would put me at 50lbs lost in about 150 days. I am shooting for 12 miles in under 3 hours with a ruck. I got 12 miles today in just under 3 hours with no ruck. Considering I'm 44 years old I wouldn't even be mad at 3.5 hours, but you have to set the standard high. The army standard is 12 miles with a 35lb ruck so that's what I'm shooting for. If I can do that I feel confident I can walk and stalk comfortably all day.View attachment 525543
Go get em! That's Ranger School pace! Well done! I'd say you're ready to kick ass and chew bubble gum in the Omay. Too bad, they're all out of bubble gum.

Walking/hiking hills seems to be the most useful way to prepare, but let us not lose sight of reality. Stay up late the night before, tell hunting stories, drink whiskey, smoke cigars, solve world problems then get up early eat eggs and at least three different types of meat, now let the training begin. Walking with a thorn in your foot helps as does getting bit by bugs. Put in a good 10 mile stretch of the legs, eat large quantities of meat for dinner and repeat the nocturnal portion of the training. I will be 62 next month and this has always worked for me. I don’t run anymore as I did in my youth, it makes more sense to have others run. Well that’s my two cents.
This is my world. Corporate Chefs, or perhaps more accurately Chef bitches for large corporations, experience a similar life, work like hell for 12 hours a day, drink some beer or whiskey, get up the next morning, do it again.
With a close relative, I can validate that the US Secret Service works this way as well.
Some of the hardest drinking men I know.

Conditioning for Safari probably requires more prudence.

I have become a true believer in the Keto. It seems to be the most sustainable/least miserable method I have found. You can easily clean up 15lbs in about 6 weeks with it.
I did something similar and doctor guided a couple years ago. Worked but it wasnt sustainable after the weight cut phase. Not something I could do forever (6oz lean protein, 6oz fruit, 6oz green vegetables). I dont need to eat terribly, but I do enjoy food. Have fallen several steps back and am trying good old fashioned hard work this time. Avoiding sugars, carbs, fat as much as possible on a diet I can live with long term and rucking 5-7x a week. We shall see

Guys, weight loss is a mental game. You can’t really work it off , working out just help you focus on the goal. Diet and knowing what work for you. No such thing as a one size fits diet, you have to learn what Your body works with. Different foods for different people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg