Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe (Matabeleland North - Hwange & Matabeleland South - Marula/Plumtree), Namibia, South Africa (Limpopo, Free State, North West, Eastern Cape, Northern Cape, Gauteng)
Several of y'all know I've got a pretty good collection or Pre-64 Winchester Model 70's. I have a transition M70 in .300 H&H that I'd call a shooter/builder gun. I got into it for a decent price, knowing it wouldn't be worth much to a collector. With 4 other Pre-64 M70 300 H&H's in the safe it's time to either turn this one into cash for something else, or build something with it. The metal on the gun is probably in 80-85% condition. Barrel has been chopped to 22.5 Inches, the stock has been chopped to a 12.5" LOP, narrowed, cheek piece re-shapped, and completely re-checkered. That said I have an extra Wood Stock for it. However my dilemma is what to do with it. I've spoken to several different gunsmiths who've all had varying ideas. Depending if they're a purist or modern the ideas have run the gamut (kinda like a tattoo artist when you tell them to get creative). Figured this might be an interesting topic to post hear and I might get some other ideas. I will say I have many caliber options covered with other Pre-64's many with multiples hitting different period or types (.243, .264WM .270, .308, .30-06, .300 H&H, .338WM, .375, etc). I've also recently scratched the Big Bore itch with a .500NE and have a .470NE on order. Below are some of the ideas I've been thought of/been given and liked. A few I liked but not sure I'd use them given the .375 and the doubles. Throw some ideas or some votes out there

1) Rebarrel to .375 H&H and retire the super grade to the safe
2) Rebarrel to .300 WM or .458WM - H&H Action would be a waste and would need to be tweaked to prevent feeding issues
3) Build a modern .300 WM or .300 PRC in a mcmillan stock and possible a proof barrel for all weather hunting. .300 PRC at first glance is a couple thousandths too long and the tip on the ELD-X catches in the magazine. Could probably seat a little deeper and bump the chamber back a little.
4) Rebarrel to .458 Lott or .404 Jeffery
5) Sell and put the money towards something else
6) Rebarrel as a .300 H&H or .300 Wby
7) Restock, add irons and turn it into a brush gun
8) Rebarrel to some sort of .416 variant

#4- 404 Jeffery or #5, sell to a fellow Texan, since you already have 4 300s.

My vote is a 375 that you aren’t afraid to scratch - synthetic/creakote, or a 404!

I am in the same boat, I have a 1955 375 action that is wanting to be assembled into something!

.300 H&H is what I’d do,because I’ve never had one.
And in your case,it’s classic,useful,and since you’re covered on the big bore front,why not?
I own 4 other Pre64's in 300 H&H. I think I've more than covered that caliber

My vote is a 375 that you aren’t afraid to scratch - synthetic/creakote, or a 404!

I am in the same boat, I have a 1955 375 action that is wanting to be assembled into something!
My top two choices are a .375 work horse or either the 404/458 Lott option. Definitely open to other ideas. I hadn't even considered the 404/458 Lott. I thought about 458WM and the gunsmith smiled and said go Lott, you can still shoot 458WM.

I’d be tempted to get a NOS Win 70 walnut stock or quality synthetic. Chamber a Krieger barrel in 416 Rem Mag or 375HH. 24-25” with medium Sporter 5 contour. Pillar bed.

Or smaller classic like 257 Roberts or 7x57. Custom, slimmer walnut stock, pillar bedded or light weight, slimmer synthetic. 22-24” slim profile Krieger barrel.

Keep it a 300. Chop the barrel another 2.5", find a piece of English walnut with nice fiddleback and have a full stock made, install attractive open sights, case color the action or bolt and trigger guard and have yourself a handy little carbine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ByronCarus

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.