Pre-64 M70 Rebuild Ideas

Several of y'all know I've got a pretty good collection or Pre-64 Winchester Model 70's. I have a transition M70 in .300 H&H that I'd call a shooter/builder gun. I got into it for a decent price, knowing it wouldn't be worth much to a collector. With 4 other Pre-64 M70 300 H&H's in the safe it's time to either turn this one into cash for something else, or build something with it. The metal on the gun is probably in 80-85% condition. Barrel has been chopped to 22.5 Inches, the stock has been chopped to a 12.5" LOP, narrowed, cheek piece re-shapped, and completely re-checkered. That said I have an extra Wood Stock for it. However my dilemma is what to do with it. I've spoken to several different gunsmiths who've all had varying ideas. Depending if they're a purist or modern the ideas have run the gamut (kinda like a tattoo artist when you tell them to get creative). Figured this might be an interesting topic to post hear and I might get some other ideas. I will say I have many caliber options covered with other Pre-64's many with multiples hitting different period or types (.243, .264WM .270, .308, .30-06, .300 H&H, .338WM, .375, etc). I've also recently scratched the Big Bore itch with a .500NE and have a .470NE on order. Below are some of the ideas I've been thought of/been given and liked. A few I liked but not sure I'd use them given the .375 and the doubles. Throw some ideas or some votes out there

1) Rebarrel to .375 H&H and retire the super grade to the safe
2) Rebarrel to .300 WM or .458WM - H&H Action would be a waste and would need to be tweaked to prevent feeding issues
3) Build a modern .300 WM or .300 PRC in a mcmillan stock and possible a proof barrel for all weather hunting. .300 PRC at first glance is a couple thousandths too long and the tip on the ELD-X catches in the magazine. Could probably seat a little deeper and bump the chamber back a little.
4) Rebarrel to .458 Lott or .404 Jeffery
5) Sell and put the money towards something else
6) Rebarrel as a .300 H&H or .300 Wby
7) Restock, add irons and turn it into a brush gun
8) Rebarrel to some sort of .416 variant
My vote, 284 WIN if it will fit.

Several of y'all know I've got a pretty good collection or Pre-64 Winchester Model 70's. I have a transition M70 in .300 H&H that I'd call a shooter/builder gun. I got into it for a decent price, knowing it wouldn't be worth much to a collector. With 4 other Pre-64 M70 300 H&H's in the safe it's time to either turn this one into cash for something else, or build something with it. The metal on the gun is probably in 80-85% condition. Barrel has been chopped to 22.5 Inches, the stock has been chopped to a 12.5" LOP, narrowed, cheek piece re-shapped, and completely re-checkered. That said I have an extra Wood Stock for it. However my dilemma is what to do with it. I've spoken to several different gunsmiths who've all had varying ideas. Depending if they're a purist or modern the ideas have run the gamut (kinda like a tattoo artist when you tell them to get creative). Figured this might be an interesting topic to post hear and I might get some other ideas. I will say I have many caliber options covered with other Pre-64's many with multiples hitting different period or types (.243, .264WM .270, .308, .30-06, .300 H&H, .338WM, .375, etc). I've also recently scratched the Big Bore itch with a .500NE and have a .470NE on order. Below are some of the ideas I've been thought of/been given and liked. A few I liked but not sure I'd use them given the .375 and the doubles. Throw some ideas or some votes out there

2) Rebarrel to .300 WM or .458WM - H&H Action would be a waste and would need to be tweaked to prevent feeding issues
3) Build a modern .300 WM or .300 PRC in a mcmillan stock and possible a proof barrel for all weather hunting. .300 PRC at first glance is a couple thousandths too long and the tip on the ELD-X catches in the magazine. Could probably seat a little deeper and bump the chamber back a little.
@Mtn_Infantry
To solve any problems and dilemmas just send it over to me and let me have the problem of working it out. Far less hassle for you and you can concentrate on something else without the worries.
Bob

I'm in the 404J camp for sure. Quarter rib, express sights, barrel band sling swivel and front sight with pancake style safari stock.

Then if you really aren't happy with the rifle, your AH buddies can have a crack at it.

Let us know what you decide.

I like the idea of a full stock handier rifle as suggested by CJW.Why don’t you build a 20 or 21 inch full stock in 9.3x62?

@Mtn_Infantry
As you probably won't listen to my advice and just send it to me go the 400H&H
400 H&H is one I haven’t thought of and would be unique. If I go the 40 route it’s gonna be hard to pick between 404J, .416, and 400 H&H. The .375 workhorse is right there with them as my current top contenders.

I’ve got 2 Pre-64’s that are RE-builds. One is a .264 that was my fathers and between my son and I, we shot the barrel out. RE-built version has a 26” Krieger stainless barrel, Timney trigger and a pillar bedded Brown Precision stock, topped with a Leupold VX-5 in 3-15 with Firedot reticle. The new version shoots a 127 grain Barnes LRX at 3,200 fps in 3/8” groups.

The other is a rifle I had built for me in .416 Hoffman. It also wears a Brown Precision stock, original Winchester trigger and a 22” Hart stainless Barrel. Current scope is a Leupold 1-5 set in a German claw mount. I’m changing scope out to a VX-5 in 2-10 with the firedot reticle, set in Leupold QD rings. I’ll probably also get a 1-5 Firedot as well for this rifle. This rifle shoots 400 grain bullets at a loaded down 2,350 fps and groups Trophy Bonded Bearclaws AND Cutting Edge Raptors together into 3/4” groups. Solids group to same POI, but group size opens up to 1.25”.

All I shoot these days are model 70’s, and I’ve matched them pretty close to each other in trigger pull and stock. I‘ve also got a.30-06 featherweight which I haven’t modified and a post-64 .338 which is my primary rifle for everything it’s legal for. The .338 wears a Lilja barrel and is set up nearly identical to my .264, except that it wears a 2-10 VX5. Now, I just need a .270 and .375 H&H and I’ll be done with rifles. Unless I get another double someday.

if I was in the OP’s shoes, I’d probably have that rifle RE-built in .416 Remington. It’s basically identical to the Hoffman, but not a wildcat. It’s a fantastic Buffalo cartridge.

I picked up a 1950 m70 about 2 years ago, it's a nice rifle and worth more then what I paid but won't be in the lot of the higher priced guns since it has a period correct side mount. Has a nice old weaver kv 3-5 and it looks nice, overall a nice gun and shoots good.
But there's the little devil on my shoulder what wants to uphold of the 270win barrel and get a 280ai. That would make the 270 guys happy lol. Guess I could sell it and probably have enough to buy a new m70 to re barrel.

I’ve got 2 Pre-64’s that are RE-builds. One is a .264 that was my fathers and between my son and I, we shot the barrel out. RE-built version has a 26” Krieger stainless barrel, Timney trigger and a pillar bedded Brown Precision stock, topped with a Leupold VX-5 in 3-15 with Firedot reticle. The new version shoots a 127 grain Barnes LRX at 3,200 fps in 3/8” groups.

The other is a rifle I had built for me in .416 Hoffman. It also wears a Brown Precision stock, original Winchester trigger and a 22” Hart stainless Barrel. Current scope is a Leupold 1-5 set in a German claw mount. I’m changing scope out to a VX-5 in 2-10 with the firedot reticle, set in Leupold QD rings. I’ll probably also get a 1-5 Firedot as well for this rifle. This rifle shoots 400 grain bullets at a loaded down 2,350 fps and groups Trophy Bonded Bearclaws AND Cutting Edge Raptors together into 3/4” groups. Solids group to same POI, but group size opens up to 1.25”.

All I shoot these days are model 70’s, and I’ve matched them pretty close to each other in trigger pull and stock. I‘ve also got a.30-06 featherweight which I haven’t modified and a post-64 .338 which is my primary rifle for everything it’s legal for. The .338 wears a Lilja barrel and is set up nearly identical to my .264, except that it wears a 2-10 VX5. Now, I just need a .270 and .375 H&H and I’ll be done with rifles. Unless I get another double someday.

if I was in the OP’s shoes, I’d probably have that rifle RE-built in .416 Remington. It’s basically identical to the Hoffman, but not a wildcat. It’s a fantastic Buffalo cartridge.
Not quite finished, you need a nice .222 REM.
Big grin!!!

My go to M70 shooter's all have either VX5 or VX6's on them. One of my favorite scopes for the dollar value. I've got a spare VX6 1-6 waiting for whatever I chose to do on this, or I might put a S&B Short Dot on it that's sitting in the safe waiting for a home.

I miss having a 222, did some of my early hunting with a sako 222, like to pick up a new rifle some day but used 222-223 never seem to be for sale local. And there's few to none new guns in 222. Even a 223 I don't care for most available, wanted a cz but I'm always broke when I found one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LauriMolon

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!