Powder caking - be careful

Nevada Mike

AH legend
Joined
Jan 9, 2019
Messages
2,191
Reaction score
4,777
Location
S.E. Arizona
Media
31
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Hunted
Arizona, California, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, So. Dakota, No. Dakota, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Michigan, Saskatchewan, Old Mexico, British Columbia, Tanzania
Due to decreased availability of components, I was disassembling a number of loaded rounds that have been sitting around for a long time. In the process I dismantled several boxes of 7mm Rem Mag cartridges loaded with H870 to salvage the brass and Nosler Partitions. Pulled the bullets, dumped the powder and boxed the still primed empties for processing and re-use later. Looking in the plastic cartridge boxes a few days later I noticed loose powder and investigated. Some of the salvaged cases had up to 10 or 15 grains of H870 stuck in them. Used a small bladed screwdriver to scrape the caked powder off the web of the case. These cases will get lots of attention before they are used!

If I had been careless I might have loaded new powder and bullets on top of the clotted powder and had a major over pressure event.

Just sayin'
 
I have found that this situation is quite common if you have compressed loads and pull the bullets.

I pulled a number of bullets out of a .338 Win mag for a friend and I would say that 40-50% of them still had powder in the cases once the bullets were pulled and the powder dumped.

It is something that everyone should be aware of when salvaging cases and bullets from a previously loaded cartridge.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,347
Messages
1,573,645
Members
169,780
Latest member
Isidro
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top