Vintageguy

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
Ok, I've always heard the bit about once you get the dust of Africa on your boots you'll have to go back. But I never heard of the depression you may experience after returning. After getting back on a Sunday I made myself go golfing on Wednesday, yes made myself and I'm a golf nut. But on the 5th green I actually said aloud to myself, "I should just quit, this is boring". I found a little relief in taking my 375 out and shooting what, with this current ammo shortage, are some precious rounds but that return to joy left soon after the rifle was cleaned and put back in the safe. My wife even begged me to get out of the house and do something to which my reply was "all I want to do is go back to Africa". She said, "I know you're just miserable" but at least she didn't say it with a chuckle because she has a touch of it too I suspect.
Now I know where Hemingway's statement about how he never had a morning in Africa where he didn't wake up happy probably came from. He had the same malady upon his return from Africa.
Some tips in dealing with this illness that I've found helpful. Make sure you have some "Africa" ammo saved back and shoot. Spend time watching safari videos on youtube. Look up what's happening on AH. Get a book on African trophies and study it. Reread some of your favorite books on Africa. Listen repeatedly to the bird calls from Africa you recorded with you phone and maybe even make one a ringtone and naturally change your screen savers to safari pics on all devices. Go set up some deer blinds or stands and brush them in. Seek out anyone who is interested, semi-interested, or just polite enough not to walk away and tell them all about your trip. Go into particular detail with stories of stalks,...etc. Don't let their apparent boredom put you off even if they're hearing about it for the 3rd or 4th time. They'll get over it eventually and will quit acting like they didn't see you at the store. Realize that many won't have any sympathy for your plight, even fellow hunters, but those who have been there will. Spend time reevaluating what furniture, pictures, and whatnot are really needed in the living room since this or that animal would look better there.
Lastly, don't blame the safari outfitter you went with, @TSALA HUNTING SAFARIS . Remember, you initiated it all, take responsibility for your actions. Most importantly, start thinking about your next trip and what you want to pursue.
I hope to help others with this post and maybe prevent or ease their suffering. But, I won't suggest you not go to Africa, not me, and if you do and find yourself in this predicament just message me, I'll listen, because I understand.

Ok, I've always heard the bit about once you get the dust of Africa on your boots you'll have to go back. But I never heard of the depression you may experience after returning. After getting back on a Sunday I made myself go golfing on Wednesday, yes made myself and I'm a golf nut. But on the 5th green I actually said aloud to myself, "I should just quit, this is boring". I found a little relief in taking my 375 out and shooting what, with this current ammo shortage, are some precious rounds but that return to joy left soon after the rifle was cleaned and put back in the safe. My wife even begged me to get out of the house and do something to which my reply was "all I want to do is go back to Africa". She said, "I know you're just miserable" but at least she didn't say it with a chuckle because she has a touch of it too I suspect.
Now I know where Hemingway's statement about how he never had a morning in Africa where he didn't wake up happy probably came from. He had the same malady upon his return from Africa.
Some tips in dealing with this illness that I've found helpful. Make sure you have some "Africa" ammo saved back and shoot. Spend time watching safari videos on youtube. Look up what's happening on AH. Get a book on African trophies and study it. Reread some of your favorite books on Africa. Listen repeatedly to the bird calls from Africa you recorded with you phone and maybe even make one a ringtone and naturally change your screen savers to safari pics on all devices. Go set up some deer blinds or stands and brush them in. Seek out anyone who is interested, semi-interested, or just polite enough not to walk away and tell them all about your trip. Go into particular detail with stories of stalks,...etc. Don't let their apparent boredom put you off even if they're hearing about it for the 3rd or 4th time. They'll get over it eventually and will quit acting like they didn't see you at the store. Realize that many won't have any sympathy for your plight, even fellow hunters, but those who have been there will. Spend time reevaluating what furniture, pictures, and whatnot are really needed in the living room since this or that animal would look better there.
Lastly, don't blame the safari outfitter you went with, @TSALA HUNTING SAFARIS . Remember, you initiated it all, take responsibility for your actions. Most importantly, start thinking about your next trip and what you want to pursue.
I hope to help others with this post and maybe prevent or ease their suffering. But, I won't suggest you not go to Africa, not me, and if you do and find yourself in this predicament just message me, I'll listen, because I understand.
Move to Zim, we would be delighted to have you.

I didn’t get to go this year due to a false positive COVID test the day I was supposed to leave. However, I completely commiserate, and I like the recommendations for getting over the depression. The few people, not on AH, I told of my plight didn’t understand my depression, and thought I should be glad I didn’t go (wretched people).

To get past my depression I smoked all of my celebratory cigars, read my books for the flight, and wore my hunting clothes around for a week. I planned more add ons for my rescheduled trip, investigated the next trip, and shopped for extras so I could take my rifle.

Let’s face it, that was a month ago and I am still depressed. However, I can’t think of a better group of enablers to feed my depression with :D Cheers:

Now back to window shopping for another safari.

I didn’t get to go this year due to a false positive COVID test the day I was supposed to leave. However, I completely commiserate, and I like the recommendations for getting over the depression. The few people, not on AH, I told of my plight didn’t understand my depression, and thought I should be glad I didn’t go (wretched people).

To get past my depression I smoked all of my celebratory cigars, read my books for the flight, and wore my hunting clothes around for a week. I planned more add ons for my rescheduled trip, investigated the next trip, and shopped for extras so I could take my rifle.

Let’s face it, that was a month ago and I am still depressed. However, I can’t think of a better group of enablers to feed my depression with :D Cheers:

Now back to window shopping for another safari.
I like the safari clothes idea too. I also have done that and that needs to be on the list for sure.

100%. My mind is always in africa. Much to the chagrin of many of my friends and family.

about 15 years ago my wife made the comment about the clothes i wear (earth tones). She said “you always dress like you are going on Safari.”

I said “yup.”

I fully feel with you @Vintageguy !

I have the exact same post safari blues.
- shooting : check
- safari videos: check
- AH: check
- safari books: check
- bird calls: I’ll have a look on YouTube
- screen savers: check
- talking to anyone about the trip: double check (people are avoiding me???)
- discussions on interior design with wife: check
- buying bigger house to house the trophies: check

I’m a lost cause… and very happy for it!

Interesting post. I haven't experienced any post safari depression. I guess it's because I start planning/booking my next hunt as soon as I get back from the last one. Also the pictures I took and working with the trophy shippers, taxidermist, etc. to get my stuff back to the U.S. keeps me engaged. Dallas Safari Club is another good distraction.

Interesting post. I haven't experienced any post safari depression. I guess it's because I start planning/booking my next hunt as soon as I get back from the last one. Also the pictures I took and working with the trophy shippers, taxidermist, etc. to get my stuff back to the U.S. keeps me engaged. Dallas Safari Club is another good distraction.

I also look at my pics a lot. And as a history buff I really enjoy reading the books of the old timers. Was reading Brian Nicholson’s book last night (he gazetted the Selous). Amazing stories from a very accomplished hunter conservationist.

I found a good way to "keep Africa alive" is with a journal....add to as you remember things and pictures with notes. Helped me anyway.

I call it withdrawals from hunting in Africa! I am experiencing this currently being back for 3 weeks now from my last trip.

Problem is, the more you go, the worse it is when you are back and daydreaming about hunting in Africa again!

I’ve always thought that planning another Safari to be awfully therapeutic!! Along with looking at pictures and the mounted trophies!

I am not where some of you fine folks are at, with maybe being able to plan an annual trip. That is not a complaint, and I don't begrudge you your lot in life at all... it's just a fact. That said, I can now say I have been, and that feels simply magnificent. I do want to go again, as often as I can manage, for the rest of my days. I think 2022 is probably out, but I am hopeful for 2023.

I love the ideas some of you have shared. I have done a few of them myself.

One thing I'd like to ask about... a while back someone (or maybe it's happened a lot and I'm being lazy) shared about having a photo coffee table type book made. I'd love to have this done, and it seems a nice pursuit for dealing with post trip blues. Suggestions on places that do a nice job with something like this?

My trophies are currently in transit. Their arrival is still months out. Still, when they do arrive, that should provide some post safari relief.

I am not where some of you fine folks are at, with maybe being able to plan an annual trip. That is not a complaint, and I don't begrudge you your lot in life at all... it's just a fact. That said, I can now say I have been, and that feels simply magnificent. I do want to go again, as often as I can manage, for the rest of my days. I think 2022 is probably out, but I am hopeful for 2023.

I love the ideas some of you have shared. I have done a few of them myself.

One thing I'd like to ask about... a while back someone (or maybe it's happened a lot and I'm being lazy) shared about having a photo coffee table type book made. I'd love to have this done, and it seems a nice pursuit for dealing with post trip blues. Suggestions on places that do a nice job with something like this?

My trophies are currently in transit. Their arrival is still months out. Still, when they do arrive, that should provide some post safari relief.

I am in the middle of making a book through Printique. Very easy to use their web-based program (I work in design for a job so am picky), and they have a great track record.

You don’t have to go on an annual trip to keep the bug alive, I usually take 2 to 3 years to plan a trip. This gives me time to get trophies delivered and recover a little financially. T-Tiger I think we have hunted the same place, G4A?

After I went on my first safari, I had the bug to go back. Finally my wife said: Damn it…GO! So I did and hope to get back a few more times.
In the interim, AH, videos, shooting, reading about African hunting, looking at my photos will have to take the edge off.

Lol! I too hunted with Tsala this year and already miss both them and Africa. Reloading helps

Tundra Tiger, I too am on a tight budget for Africa. I consider myself a doer so to take up time between hunts I churn frequent flyer miles. I watch for big bonus rewards with airlines that fly where I want to go next. I scored 4 round trip tickets to Namibia in July. Not paying for flights helps greatly with trip cost.

Post Safari Depression must be a real thing! I thought I was the only one. I’m not a golfer but I’ve experienced the same letdown as Vintageguy while sitting in a treestand waiting for a deer to maybe walk by. Not bad enough to get out of the stand and head back to the cabin, but still…..

The only way I’ve found to snap out of it is to start planning another safari.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg