Post pictures or not?

Mlibizi 8182

AH senior member
Reaction score
I am sure this post will cause a great deal of controversy. Of course it is our right to post after the kill, pictures, but should we if they will be used against us.

I saw a picture of a totally legally hunted XXXXXX the picture was quickly pulled. Depending on who saw it, it could cause more problems than "Cecil" which was legally hunted. Your thoughts please.

This topic is brought up every once in a while. The answers are varied to be sure. Tasteful shots of trophies are posted on these pages are received with open arms. We share the joy of the hunter and admire his skills. On other medias posting trophies may not be viewed in the same light. So why post there?

This topic is brought up every once in a while. The answers are varied to be sure. Tasteful shots of trophies are posted on these pages are received with open arms. We share the joy of the hunter and admire his skills. On other medias posting trophies may not be viewed in the same light. So why post there?
I agree with you, unfortunately someone is really (and rightfully)
proud of what has been accomplished. So they take a picture put it on Facebook or some Other social media. The wrong person gets it, it goes what they call "viral" who cares about the truth but us, but at the end of the day who pays for it.

Trust me I am not talking about a trophy wart hog!

The challene is about how it is interpreted. Before social media only likeminded folks with an understanding of hunting would view your pictures in the privacy of your home. Now on social media the audience is made up of folks who don't know enough to put the picture of a dead animal in context. So, I think a picture can be an opportunity to educate if done right. Otherwise, it is like going into a room crowded with strangers and just showing your photos to all as you walk by. I think if it s too controversial then it's better to go back to the old fashioned slide show at home!

Completely agree with @Pheroze . The issue is social media and the fact that people who don’t know you, don’t understand you, and don’t care if you are put up for all the world on CNN as evil encarnate will get the pictures.
I look at this site as my world wide “trophy room” full of friends who appreciate each other’s adventures and trophies.
I don’t belong to any other social media sites for reasons just like this, too much over-sharing with complete strangers for me.

I wish more hunters would post pictures. To many of us seem scared or hide the fact they are proud to be a hunter. Taking a good picture done in a tasteful way is ok in my mind.

Time we all posted more picture and they tell some info about the picture also. If we believe in what we all talk about as in hunting is right and best thing overall for animals. I think we only make it worse by not sharing more info about hunting.

We get bullied by a few anti's and run like they are going to hurt us in some way. We give them more power by staying quiet and letting only there side be heard by there bullying tactic's.

Time we take pride in doing more for wildlife then any other group. Show what we all enjoy and stop being scared of posting pictures because of a few.

Again I am not disagreeing, BUT many of you will remember "press selected" pictures from Vietnam. The little running naked girl burned by napalm & the VC being shot in the head. The effect on the people is still remembered today. A picture can be a double edged knife that cuts both ways.

Again I am not disagreeing, BUT many of you will remember "press selected" pictures from Vietnam. The little running naked girl burned by napalm & the VC being shot in the head. The effect on the people is still remembered today. A picture can be a double edged knife that cuts both ways.

I am of an older generation, so I can say with some sincerity that I do not get facebook and the other general access "Social media". It is rather like posting one's scrapbook in city hall and inviting public comment - opening one's private life to ridicule or worse. I am only startled that the posters are startled. I personally value privacy far more than I could ever value self-generated notoriety.

I think there is a difference on a forum such as this, with a membership of like-minded people. Should some of my photographs be taken from this site, I truly could care less. I have no business to damage, and should someone use an image of me in some twitter tantrum, I'll never read it, and could care less. Though I can afford good attorneys if the picture were legally "stolen".

We all need to figure out how to respond to the virtual mob. Twitter storms are the equivalent of virtual riots. CEO's of companies, too many of whom are closer to my age than the outraged snowflakes on twitter, need to get a handle on this issue soonest. Currently, far too many are blowing with the virtual wind. Delta is a good example. Like most riots, these mobs seem to burn out quickly and move on to the next outrage. Hard to run a corporate strategy if one is constantly trying to respond to the latest twitter storm.

There are always sea changes in public opinion. I suspect we are indeed in the midst of one with respect to both hunting and guns. A fox poll released this weekend shows that a minority of the population now has a favorable opinion of the NRA and fully 60% of the population favors banning all semi-automatic weapons. That means, barring some change in the tide, something along that line will likely eventually happen. There are no results w/r to hunting, trophy or otherwise, but nationwide, few of us would agree we are winning.

Photos play a small part in the need for a strategy. But we desperately need the latter.

Keep them tasteful, but post!

Like @billc says, we shouldn't be ashamed of what we do. And if you are, maybe another sport you can be proud of should be chosen.

The antis don't want us to post not just because they are offended, but more importantly because they want to further separate us from non hunters. What better way to do that than to limit our interactions with non hunters in any way they can?

I've always posted trophy pictures on FB and the vast majority of reactions to them has been positive. And they are a great starting point to educate thise non hunters who simply don't know the facts. This to me has far outweighed anything negative.

Last fall I hunted elephant and had to think long and hard about whether to post a trophy picture. In the end I did it, with a description of benefit the community and the species got from my hunt. It was very well recieved, which honestly surprised me a little bit.

A couple of months later the antis found it (I had made it public on purpose). They came in with their normal hate and threats. I used this as a further teaching and educational opportunity for my friends. Many were shocked at how the antis acted and said so. I blocked antis when they got out of line, but left most of their posts (I started deleting a few of the worst after the point had already been made).

I even debated one lady who of course tried to pass off emotion as fact and got a great opportunity to once again educate friends as to the anti ignorance. It was amusing actually as it was pretty obvious she wasn't used to arguing with someone who knew her information better than she did, and could untwist her statements.

Our society is becoming more and more urban. We are separated from our food sources, all of us to some degree. How many people here remember their mother going into the yard to kill a chicken for Sunday dinner? I don't. But my mother remembers her mother doing it. Point being, we've got to keep this gap from widening even further, which is what the antis want!

There will always be the few tasteless pictures that will be ammunition for the antis to use. And the morons that post them will always continue to do so. Does anyone really want THOSE pictures to be the only hunting pictures anyone on the internet sees???

Royal that is same reason I posted picture on facebook. I will not hide or be ashamed of a sport or hobby I enjoy. Then when the few do try and bash you it does show the ones that maybe on the fence how crazy the anti side is.

If we don't put are side out there how does anyone think we will save or add people to what we hope to keep doing.
I love sharing all my pictures here but that is because I know people here will enjoy them. I post on facebook to share but also show I am a hunter and there is still plenty of us around.

Last edited:
Facebook settings can be put on private so antis can’t comment or see your pictures, only your friends. Some words from a wise man, “Go where you are celebrated not tolerated.”

I am of an older generation, so I can say with some sincerity that I do not get facebook and the other general access "Social media". It is rather like posting one's scrapbook in city hall and inviting public comment - opening one's private life to ridicule or worse. I am only startled that the posters are startled. I personally value privacy far more than I could ever value self-generated notoriety.

And to me this is a fine reason not to post and different than not posting for fear of someone screaming. It's when hunters don't purely due to fear of criticism that makes me cringe, and believe that we are losing.

Royal that is same reason I posted picture on facebook. I will not hide or be ashamed of a sport or hobby I enjoy. Then when the few do try and bash you it does show the ones that maybe on the fence how crazy the anti side is.

If we don't put are side out there how does anyone think we will save or add people to what we hope to keep doing.
I love sharing all my pictures here but that is because I know people here will enjoy them. I post on facebook to share but also show I am a hunter and there is still plenty of us around.

Totally agree with you. The antis are in trouble now! ;)

Well we post our pictures here and encourage our fellow members to do so. I will continue to share with this community. Like some I don’t have a Facebook page, boy are they catching hell right now, and thus use my wife’s. I don’t post much on there and when I have there have been a couple of difficult people to deal with. However, deal with them we did and even dropped one as a friend based on some nasty comments.
At the end of the day I think we should be proud of our sport and share with those who are interested.

My views on Facebook mirror @Red Leg. Never joined because I saw too many over sharers blasting their bosses or dumping on "friends" for all the world to see.
It is rather like posting one's scrapbook in city hall and inviting public comment - opening one's private life to ridicule
I do agree with @Royal27 and @billc that we should never be ashamed or afraid to share our passion. I respect you guys ability to do this calmly and rationally. My grandad taught me not to waste time on idiots- something about teaching pigs to sing just frustrating you and making the pig mad. I don't always tolerate stupidity very well and might not come out looking as good as you guys when responding to nameless, faceless tough guys on social media. So I don't go there. But I have had several really great conversations with people at my office or other places who have seen my pictures scrolling on my screen saver or asked about my AH cap.

I don't always tolerate stupidity very well and might not come out looking as good as you guys when responding to nameless, faceless tough guys on social media.

You're missing all the fun! Want to REALLY piss an anti off? When they tell you they hope you die, tell them you'll pray for them.

I'm not nice and calm because I actually am. I'm nice and calm because:
  1. It has the best chance of having a positive impact on the non hunter
  2. It's pisses off the anti hunters more than my yelling ever could

My views on Facebook mirror @Red Leg. Never joined because I saw too many over sharers blasting their bosses or dumping on "friends" for all the world to see.

I do agree with @Royal27 and @billc that we should never be ashamed or afraid to share our passion. I respect you guys ability to do this calmly and rationally. My grandad taught me not to waste time on idiots- something about teaching pigs to sing just frustrating you and making the pig mad. I don't always tolerate stupidity very well and might not come out looking as good as you guys when responding to nameless, faceless tough guys on social media. So I don't go there. But I have had several really great conversations with people at my office or other places who have seen my pictures scrolling on my screen saver or asked about my AH cap.

Wow you think I handle idiots calmly and rationally . Do you not see most of post here. LOL I have no filter myself but do my best and I think that is all any of us can do.

I just refuse to let them win is all and I will have my say. It has worked sometimes believe it or not. Yes you always have those few but I handle them in a special way.:whistle: A few of the real bad ones have had animals hunted in there honor and I let them know that. ;):)

I reckon we should post our fotos....I have learnt in the bush to cover all blood. Sand works wonders and I even use sand/ dust to cover the bullet holes/ blood on hair etc if no water available to wash it off. just makes the foto more "user friendly" and less subject to debate by the undesirables.

As for everything that gets put out there.... prepare for it to be permanent. Doesn’t mean it will be, you will probably not be persecuted for it.... however, there have been a lot of hunters tormented on SocialMedia for Post. Just do whatever you are comfortable with & potential backlash.

Old school here too! Never had a Facebook account. You post a dead animal on Facebook, you are asking for whatever happens. If I were to hunt and take an elephant tomorrow, I would post it on AH, even with no guarantee it wouldn't be copy and pasted on Facebook. Everyone on AH (except trolls) is a hunter in one form or the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemsbond

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.