Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Idaho, Texas, Louisiana
I expect meat to start getting short in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

Gasoline production is down, which means ethanol production is down. Meat packers and shippers buy CO2 (for dry ice) from the EtOH producers.

No industrial CO2, meat doesn't get shipped.

If your freezer isn't already full, this weekend would be a good time to try and fill it up.

I think I don't need to say what the grocery stores are going to look like if this happens.

Do the needful this weekend.

I filled it up with bison last month as a friend of mine finally got a tag in AZ. I went and helped him and took home about 200 lbs of meat.

Ethanol plants I've seen in the news are running full tilt for the hand sanitizer industry instead of gasoline blendstock.

CO2 is and was produced by petroleum refining (byproduct of natural gas to hydrogen) and natural gas purification before ethanol blending of domestic gasoline was required and widespread. Ethanol mandates however provide an artificial lower cost of supply. But ultra low sulfur fuels now including bunker fuel as well as gasoline and diesel require more hydrogen to convert the organic bound sulfur to hydrogen sulfide and then typically raw sulfur, which in turn produces more industrial CO2.

My freezers were well stocked with meats, mostly large cuts, before the pandemic pandemonium and are full now.

The last CO2 shortage I'm aware of was in Europe 2018.

Last edited:
I dare say there is a bit of meat on a Bison. What is it like to eat? I’m guessing A little beef like but is I think tough, gamey? Do you get steaks or just go with mince, diced and sausage.

I think the biggest concern is the packing houses closing because of rampant Covid-19 infections.

A bit of info that came across my screen today;
There was also a representative from MN Pork who said the hog crisis is much worse than people think. On Monday 2 more plants will close and there will be 150,000 more pigs a day than slaughter capacity available. There are 2 MN farms that he knows of that have put down 3000 hogs each this week and sent to rendering and next week there is a farm that will euthanize 45,000 hogs with no home for the carceses. Rendering in Mn is completely booked for the next month.

I dare say there is a bit of meat on a Bison. What is it like to eat? I’m guessing A little beef like but is I think tough, gamey? Do you get steaks or just go with mince, diced and sausage.

Bison is like beef, but leaner. I have both steaks, stew meat and sausage, ground beef etc.. I sous vide the steaks so it gets tender.

We have a large supply of meat and cheese in cold storage in the US. It was part of the market issue before all this crap.

In 2019, there were multiple stories on the cheese surplus of 1.4 BILLION pounds in storage. Which is over 4 pounds for every man, woman, and child.

If a lot of plants shut down for the long term, we'r may see interruptions in supply. But don't lose your minds.

If you know any farmers who raise livestock, talk to them about custom butcher. We will arrange butcher with a Locker, deliver it, and all you do is write the checks and tell the locker how to cut for your preferences. It's also cheaper than buying in the store. You can get a full, half, or quarter beef, whole or half hog, and a whole or maybe half lamb (@Philip Glass could tell you on the lamb).

All you need is the freezer space. Or check with the locker as they may have long term storage options. The one who does most of our butchering rents lockers for $40 per year (for when the 3 deep freezes in my basement and one at my folks house isn't enough).

Ironically as I read this I just pulled more moose out to be
20200426_145436.jpg
processed this evening, checked prices of a new freezer in case an older one goes out, and pondering the predicament of those out there 100% reliant on stores for food and other necessities

We have a large supply of meat and cheese in cold storage in the US. It was part of the market issue before all this crap.

In 2019, there were multiple stories on the cheese surplus of 1.4 BILLION pounds in storage. Which is over 4 pounds for every man, woman, and child.

If a lot of plants shut down for the long term, we'r may see interruptions in supply. But don't lose your minds.

If you know any farmers who raise livestock, talk to them about custom butcher. We will arrange butcher with a Locker, deliver it, and all you do is write the checks and tell the locker how to cut for your preferences. It's also cheaper than buying in the store. You can get a full, half, or quarter beef, whole or half hog, and a whole or maybe half lamb (@Philip Glass could tell you on the lamb).

All you need is the freezer space. Or check with the locker as they may have long term storage options. The one who does most of our butchering rents lockers for $40 per year (for when the 3 deep freezes in my basement and one at my folks house isn't enough).
We have sold fat lambs to customers and delivered them to a processor for them. We just have to have lots of notice as they are only available at times. Nothing like having your own meat!
Philip

There are a lot of local deer in my yard all the time.....I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.....:rolleyes::whistle:
I've sat on State game lands freezing my arse off for days coming up empty handed and this is what I get in my back yard!
I wouldn't care so much that they eat absolutely EVERYTHING in sight if I could just shoot 'em and throw them in the freezer.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
IMG_3264s.jpg

I've sat on State game lands freezing my arse off for days coming up empty handed and this is what I get in my back yard!
I wouldn't care so much that they eat absolutely EVERYTHING in sight if I could just shoot 'em and throw them in the freezer.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
View attachment 344709

Can you not shoot it, during season? It should be your animal while on your land.

There is a ton of backwards shit in my city but I do appreciate that the government (in a county that allows NO gun hunting) is supportive of taking animals on your land with bow, etc . . . they even extend the season for it! The idea that you could not feed your family off of YOUR land is just preposterous to me.

Can you not shoot it, during season? It should be your animal while on your land.

There is a ton of backwards shit in my city but I do appreciate that the government (in a county that allows NO gun hunting) is supportive of taking animals on your land with bow, etc . . . they even extend the season for it! The idea that you could not feed your family off of YOUR land is just preposterous to me.
The required safety distances and other regulations for hunting deer, even with a bow, preclude it in my back yard.
I have however, considered acquiring a clover trap and once a deer is trapped walking up and hitting it over the head with a brick.

Fortunate to have two farms with crop damage tags. Except for a few weeks in the summer, can take deer all year long. Ninety percent of meat I eat is venison anyway and our freezer is packed. Good advice on a local farm and butcher. Get together with others and purchase a hog or steer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross