Fabnosh

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
United Kingdom, Spain, Norway, South Africa, Namibia
After some help please.

As age progresses, my eyes can't accommodate as well as they used to and, as such, I'm finding the contrast levels between the fore and rear sight on my double an increasing problem. I'm not keen on either a scope or a reflex but was wondering what the older gents (of which I'm sure there are possibly a couple) might do to get around this.

My Fabarm double has fantastic open sights that use a clever fibre optic trick to enhance the the sight beads to make them almost glow. The foresight is yellow and the rear sight red and this makes alignment and targeting really easy. My Chapuis on the other hand - and this is the one causing the problem - has proper old school sights with a shallow V blued rear leaf and a tiny white dot foresight. I won't deny, I'm struggling with this. I wear glasses to read and my distance vision is fine but its the distance between the sight points that causing an issue. If it were an option, I'd probably fit the Fabarm sights, but, as you can imagine, Chapuis weren't wonderfully helpful with that suggestion and surprisingly short on alternatives.

Before I get out my paintbrush and slap on some luminous paint, I was wondering whether there were any wonderfully innovative suggestions as I really don't want to walk the scope path.

Thanks in advance

FN

micro sized red dots are becoming more and more popular..

there are several out there that can withstand the recoil of a big double (or most big bores for that matter).. and now several double manufacturers and several gunsmiths that work on doubles routinely are making mounts and/or finding innovative ways to mount red dots..

take a look at the trijicon RMR, leupold delta pro point, and offerings from Khales.. those all seem to pretty popular among the doubles crowd..

I've seen RMR's and Delta Pro Points stand up to .50 BMG.. and both are fairly small, unobtrusive, and reasonably affordable..

Fabnosh,
I had the same issue with my Chapuis double. I'm 71 and my old eyes couldn't hit the paper with the iron sights at 75 yards. I put a Trijicon RMR red dot sight on it--flush mounted to the rib where the removable block is--and that fixed it. I can shoot tight groups with it now and have used it in Africa on buffalo and in close quarters in heavy bush on a nyala.
You will love shooting your double with the RMR sight on it.
You will also find several other threads on here on this subject. I think the consensus is that RMR sights are the way to go for those of us that have trouble seeing the bead with iron sights.

You could try a receiver aperture sight. That way, you need only focus on the front sight or target; your eye will naturally put the front sight in the aperture’s center without focusing.

I suggest that you visit a gunsmith and have them change out your sights to a better configuration. Good after market fiber-optic front and rear sights are readily available from Recknagel in Germany. You may also consider the possibility of using a large aperture rear "peep" sight instead of the open V rear. It is much easier for older eyes to use aperture sights accurately and quickly, because you simply look through them, and there is no need to focus on them. I have pretty much given up on open V rear sights, but can use aperture sights. I have several rifles equipped with apertures, and on others I have reflex sights in quick detach mounts.

Hi FN, I know exactly the problem, my eyes arent too bad yet, but I want to be really precise with first shot placement. Since your Fabarm sights work for you, the answer is simple - fit similar on your Chapuis. If, however, you are really not 100% happy with the three point focus that open sights utilise, regardless of brightness etc, then swallow hard and accept the red dot reflex sight route. It is a little unsightly, but the Kahles one in particular has softer lines that sort of work with a double.

I think Chashardy, if I'm honest, I knew I'd be heading the RMR route. I'm encouraged that you've overcome the issue and with the same rifle. Maybe it's time to put the romance to one side and embrace practicality. Thank you for your response.

FN

Hi FN, I know exactly the problem, my eyes arent too bad yet, but I want to be really precise with first shot placement. Since your Fabarm sights work for you, the answer is simple - fit similar on your Chapuis. If, however, you are really not 100% happy with the three point focus that open sights utilise, regardless of brightness etc, then swallow hard and accept the red dot reflex sight route. It is a little unsightly, but the Kahles one in particular has softer lines that sort of work with a double.
Hi KP

Yes, that was my initial thought but I've met with limited success in the UK in finding someone happy to do this on a double. I wouldn't say we're spoilt for choice on the gunsmith scene but there are some really top flight chaps around. However, mention you want barrel or sight work done on a double and its a tumbleweed moment and you're on your own. As I said, Chapuis weren't interested in doing at fore/rear sight change so I'm rather stuck.

I've taken a look at the Khales model and yes, it's quite unobtrusive and the Chapuis does have removable rib sections to allow mounts. I shall investigate further.

Thanks

FN

What you also might try is visit a toy shop and get a few different colours of fluorescent stickers. Just cut little bits out and stick them on and see how you go - nothing ventured, nothing gained!

I have a red dot on my Chapuis, it started as a Kahles Which I really liked) but my wife claimed it for her 375:E Shocked: So I now have a Riton, which is equally as good. I still see my irons very well but the reading glasses forcast things to come later. Like everyone has mentioned that the red dots are on one plane and target acquisition is very quick. My 3 MOA dot covers a much smaller space at 100 than irons so is easier to shoot smaller groups. My plan for it is possible leopard and hyena later this year. Backup plan is my 9.3x62 bolt gun.

After some help please.

As age progresses, my eyes can't accommodate as well as they used to and, as such, I'm finding the contrast levels between the fore and rear sight on my double an increasing problem. I'm not keen on either a scope or a reflex but was wondering what the older gents (of which I'm sure there are possibly a couple) might do to get around this.

My Fabarm double has fantastic open sights that use a clever fibre optic trick to enhance the the sight beads to make them almost glow. The foresight is yellow and the rear sight red and this makes alignment and targeting really easy. My Chapuis on the other hand - and this is the one causing the problem - has proper old school sights with a shallow V blued rear leaf and a tiny white dot foresight. I won't deny, I'm struggling with this. I wear glasses to read and my distance vision is fine but its the distance between the sight points that causing an issue. If it were an option, I'd probably fit the Fabarm sights, but, as you can imagine, Chapuis weren't wonderfully helpful with that suggestion and surprisingly short on alternatives.

Before I get out my paintbrush and slap on some luminous paint, I was wondering whether there were any wonderfully innovative suggestions as I really don't want to walk the scope path.

Thanks in advance

FN
I had my gunsmith put a gold insert line in the center of the v on my express sight. Works very well for me.

Oooo, that’s an idea and bling as well !
FN

Gold contrasts well with most any color and it shines in low light. Even my old eyes can see it. I may only get a couple more years before my eyes get too bad, but I am determined to enjoy every one of them. I just can not even imagine the horror of a red dot mounted on a mannlicher schoenauer

This is the reason i have sold my double rifles , i was not prepared to scope them or hunt with glasses .

My EDC pistols now have trijicon RMR’s for this very reason .

Go the reflex sight route 2 MOA max for aiming small and there are a lot of ways to mount them without drilling or tapping anyhting permanent.

I fought this problem for a while but with an up coming elephant hunt (was due to go last year. Thanks Covid19‍♂️) I went the reflex sight route. Once you get over losing the romance of not being able to use open sights there’s no looking back

C8205436-EE56-4A98-BA66-EBE779233F0D.jpeg
56D0D27C-2E0A-4AD9-A3DD-0497BCC9C990.jpeg
DB1E4AFA-D1F7-46B0-937B-A949B5128B08.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you considered consulting a optometrist for a prescription lens? I've seen shooters who have their shooting glasses with the bifocal on top, allowing them to better see their sights.

I've tried that route with bifocals and I just can't get on with them at all. I think my eyes are at a weird stage of transition. For anything closer than three feet I need glasses (so writing this it's glasses) anything beyond that and my sight is fine. A conundrum wrapped in an enigma lol

FN

Another option is to have shooting glasses where your dominant eye has an adjustment. For example I use 1.75 reading glasses but have 20/20 vision for distance. My shooting glasses have a 0.75 adjustment on the left lens (lefty here) and clear on the right. It enables me to see the front sight clearly but not screw up my distance vision like my reading glasses would with the full adjustment.

Umm, that's an interesting idea. I think I'll have that conversation with my optician. Thanks for that.

FN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graciehayward01

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg