POLL: Best Model 70

Best Model 70?

  • Pre 64

    Votes: 34 50.7%
  • Post 64

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Pre FN CRF (model 70 classic)

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • FN CRF

    Votes: 22 32.8%

  • Total voters
    67
My model 70 classic is the most accurate rifle I have shooting under 1/2 inch at 100 yards with simple reloads
IMG_0863.JPG
IMG_0703.JPG
 
The Model 70 has always been "the" gun for me.
I have an 30-06 featherweight.
I had a pre-64 .300 that I sold years ago, and every time I see one sell I cry a little. I thought I got an insane price for mine, but they've tripled and quadrupled since then.
Grandpa had one in a 25-06, .243, 30-06 and few other calibers too probably. He was constantly buying and selling guns.
 
The Model 70 has always been "the" gun for me.
I have an 30-06 featherweight.
I had a pre-64 .300 that I sold years ago, and every time I see one sell I cry a little. I thought I got an insane price for mine, but they've tripled and quadrupled since then.
Grandpa had one in a 25-06, .243, 30-06 and few other calibers too probably. He was constantly buying and selling guns.
I did not know they made anything but pre 64!! Bought my first one 50 years ago and headed to Alaska. Then a 270 FW, and a 300 H&H. Dad had several we divided up and I got standard 270 and a 257 Roberts. So fortunate. Thats all I know-pre 64 is tops.
 
I can’t really say that I don’t like the other models, but I have 7 (?…let me count) of the “Classics” from New Haven. Of those, my favorites are the Classic Stainless, of which I have four.

I had a 7mm-08 BACO, which left me a little cold. Sold it because I had a 7mm-08 Classic Compact and decided that I didn’t need the BACO.

My most recent is a Safari Express in 416 Rem Mag - haven’t shot that one yet. I would still like an Alaskan in 375 H&H - especially in Stainless, if they made them.
 
Custom African Express would be my “dream” rifle, other than some kind of a double anyway. I have considered having my Safari express restocked with a drop magazine to kind of duplicate the African Express. Don’t really care about leaf sights on a 416.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,455
Messages
1,576,639
Members
170,612
Latest member
ericdz77
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top