Politics

What do you all think about a constitutional convention? I have heard that 28 states want one to pass a balanced budget amendment. Thirty-eight is needed for one to convene. Now that could really drain the swamp. I bet if they get close to one Congress would really be nervous

We need a constitutional convention in the worst way. Dem states will never agree to one. Have to get enough conservative states to drive it. Balanced budget, term limits, strengthened 2nd amendment, I can hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth already!

A constitutional convention is state voting which takes the power out of major urban areas. The dems will oppose one with everything they have.

We need a constitutional convention in the worst way. Dem states will never agree to one. Have to get enough conservative states to drive it. Balanced budget, term limits, strengthened 2nd amendment, I can hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth already!

Term limits are needed to prevent career politicians like Pelosi, Schumer, and numerous others from fostering the liberal, progressive agenda, wasteful government spending.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed with the blood of patriots and tyrants” Thomas Jefferson

Couldn’t disagree more with that idea. Let that cat out of the bag, and it would end up creating a structure empowering the majority - a majority that resides on the urban coasts. Once convened, all our current protections are gone, and we are at the mercy of the outcome.

A constitutional convention is state voting which takes the power out of major urban areas. The dems will oppose one with everything they have.

It seems to me that the cities outweigh the voting totals even in the "flyover states". Iowa has Des Moines, Nebraska Omaha-Lincoln and even Texas has DFW-Austin. West Coast States have for several decades had the metro areas outweigh the remainder of the states electorate. Portland has decided politics for all of Oregon, Seattle/Bellevue/Tacoma for Washington and LA,SF for California. Regretfully, I think there are too many in the "What the government can do for me" category to ever turn the boat around. Now the only question is how will the end come?

If it takes two thirds of the states at a convention to change anything would it not work similar to the electoral college?

If it takes two thirds of the states at a convention to change anything would it not work similar to the electoral college?
That's where states like here in Colorado where the state legislature passed a popular vote for President bill just last year. However it wouldn't take effect until all the other states that are trying to pass the same type of bill adds up to 270 Electoral Collage votes. But we will see since after they passed the bill and the Governor signed it a petition was passed to get it onto the ballot this coming November to see just what the people want.

And by the way both houses of the Colorado legislature are controlled by the liberals along with having a Democrat for a Governor.

That's where states like here in Colorado where the state legislature passed a popular vote for President bill just last year. However it wouldn't take effect until all the other states that are trying to pass the same type of bill adds up to 270 Electoral Collage votes. But we will see since after they passed the bill and the Governor signed it a petition was passed to get it onto the ballot this coming November to see just what the people want.

And by the way both houses of the Colorado legislature are controlled by the liberals along with having a Democrat for a Governor.
It doesn't matter what a state votes. To eliminate the electoral college would require a constitutional amendment. There is zero chance of that happening anytime soon. However, liberal politicians, who know better, can pander to their base by putting on a state ballot.

A constitutional convention would require similar hurdles, but once constituted and once that genie is let out of the bottle, God help the bill of rights and our republic.

While the idea of a balanced budget amendment sounds good..........it really isn't. The fed budget treats everything as Opex and nothing as Capex. If a balanced budget amendment were to pass, you would likely see more privatizing of large capital projects to get them off of the Federal budget. Interstates, bridges, airports, dams, etc..........privately owned and charging tolls or fees.

Couldn’t disagree more with that idea. Let that cat out of the bag, and it would end up creating a structure empowering the majority - a majority that resides on the urban coasts. Once convened, all our current protections are gone, and we are at the mercy of the outcome.

Interesting point. My thought was that in a convention, the vote is by state not population, putting the power squarely in the hands of the conservatives. Perhaps I’ve misunderstood how the voting works? If so, I’d appreciate being set straight.

Oh that would be the downside. They could totally change our form of government and rewrite the constitution.

Interesting point. My thought was that in a convention, the vote is by state not population, putting the power squarely in the hands of the conservatives. Perhaps I’ve misunderstood how the voting works? If so, I’d appreciate being set straight.
I think a convention is run by the state legislatures. Maybe wrong but I figured there is more red states than blue. Therefore having the majority.

Today's crisis will be tomorrow's history lesson. Start monkeying around with the constitution and you risk making today's problems permanent. The strength of the USA is found in the last 244 years of policy fluctuations that have occurred around the central pillar of the constitution.

Today's crisis will be tomorrow's history lesson. Start monkeying around with the constitution and you risk making today's problems permanent. The strength of the USA is found in the last 244 years of policy fluctuations that have occurred around the central pillar of the constitution.
From your mouth (a Canadian I should note) to God's ears.

So IMHO what I get from this report he's willing to villify and abandon those he appointed to save his arse....

I was a little surprised when Trump stated we were in wars so companies that make bombs make money. I've made comments like that after several beers

In 1973 I attended a lecture given by John Galbraith (for those unfamiliar with him, he was a Harvard economics professor and was an advisor to Pres Kennedy). he spoke about the "Military-Industrial Complex" and the link between retiring flag grade officers and their new career as lobbyists for the hardware producers. the link between the suppliers and the users of military products has been well established at least since the 1940s but has continued to escalate. the need to have cutting edge equipment is continually pushed by those that supply and those that purchase using money supplied by others So it should come as no surprise that there is a lot of motivation for there to be some war here or there where the products and expertise is needed. the only change since Galbraith's lecturre in 1973 is that there have been quantum leaps in technology and price. Heaven help the US taxpayer..

I was a little surprised when Trump stated we were in wars so companies that make bombs make money. I've made comments like that after several beers
IMHO it just underlines how much this cock-womble is a twit. It also surprises me just how many of those in his administration (and mostly those appointed by him) have been sent to jail for following his orders. I've never before seen so many staffers, directly associated with a sitting US President, that have gone to prison!!

From the evidence to date, one wonders if they're all fall guys to protect the current POTUS? It's either that, or the cock-womble is still - demonstrably - an incrediblely naive oaf. Whichever way, it's an extremely disconcerting situation for a man in his position. (y)

Last edited:
A601F212-C0CD-4F61-AEDB-FC163191A80B.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg