Politics

Very pleased to see the Senate pass and President Biden sign the aid packages and TikTok bill.

Personally, I hope TikTok does not find a buyer and we can be done with it once and for all.

Will you be very pleased when they come after the NYT, fox news, or the wall street journal?

I mean surely the govt will do something like this just this once. Never again right?

Will you be very pleased when they come after the NYT, fox news, or the wall street journal?

I mean surely the govt will do something like this just this once. Never again right?
If they become owned by the CCP, then yes.

Sadly when it expires, something else will replace it.. that will likely be worse..

MySpace gave way to Facebook, which stepped aside for instagram, which got sidelined for Snapchat, which led kids to TikTok..

TikTok would have been for “old people” within 5 years anyway… and died a slow death like FB is now dying…

I’m certain the Chinese, Russians, Israelis, and even the Nigerians are already working on the 3rd generation of what was already planned to be the next big thing in social media… which will be far worse than TikTok..

We are complete suckers when it comes to giving away our privacy (and our morals)in exchange for cheap entertainment I’m afraid…
Still, if we are going to get screwed by social media, I would rather we screw ourselves than let the Chinese do it.

If they become owned by the CCP, then yes.

Still, if we are going to get screwed by social media, I would rather we screw ourselves than let the Chinese do it.

I don't see what banning tik tok accomplishes or how it "protects" anyone. Was the CCP going to send over police officers to arrest Americans for what they posted?

Even the "it's corrupting the youth" argument doesn't make sense. Tik Tok has to go.... but onlyfans, drag queen story hour for kids, and puberty blockers for children can stay? That doesn't add up.

We won't even punish China economically for buying sanctioned Iranian oil, but somehow this is going to sway them? They can push any Information Operation campaign they want on any other platform just as easily.

I say this as someone who has never even used tik tok, I have no real dog in the fight.

I don't see what banning tik tok accomplishes or how it "protects" anyone. Was the CCP going to send over police officers to arrest Americans for what they posted?

Even the "it's corrupting the youth" argument doesn't make sense. Tik Tok has to go.... but onlyfans, drag queen story hour for kids, and puberty blockers for children can stay? That doesn't add up.

We won't even punish China economically for buying sanctioned Iranian oil, but somehow this is going to sway them? They can push any Information Operation campaign they want on any other platform just as easily.

I say this as someone who has never even used tik tok, I have no real dog in the fight.
Because there are reports that TikTok is illegally collecting user data for the CCP, both to spread pro-CCP and anti-western propaganda, but also to potentially compromise US military and national security interests. It is not just another social media company, it is for all practical purposes, a digital weapon being deployed by the CCP.

Ya ya maybe.
These days I take any govt "reports" as a Twinkie with a fish hook in it.

I think tiktok and your "reports" were a convenient way to setup a precedent that we won't like where it leads

Because there are reports that TikTok is illegally collecting user data for the CCP, both to spread pro-CCP and anti-western propaganda, but also to potentially compromise US military and national security interests. It is not just another social media company, it is for all practical purposes, a digital weapon being deployed by the CCP.
All of that user data is accessible via any other application, or from the hardware on the phone itself (much of which is made in China). Smart watches can do the same thing. This is why anything like this is already prohibited from being anywhere near sensitive military or national security sites. And again, Pro-CCP messaging and anti-western propaganda is just as easily spread and distributed on any other platform.

All of that user data is accessible via any other application, or from the hardware on the phone itself (much of which is made in China). Smart watches can do the same thing. This is why anything like this is already prohibited from being anywhere near sensitive military or national security sites. And again, Pro-CCP messaging and anti-western propaganda is just as easily spread and distributed on any other platform.

losing our manufacturing base to China is far more detrimental to our national security
I do not dispute anything that you have said, and I am certain that you know more about technology than I (it would be pretty hard not to). Still, just because we are faced with attacks on multiple fronts does not mean that we should choose to ignore the opportunity to stop a big one when the opportunity presents.

To put it another way, whatever intelligence reports Trump received in 2020 were concerning enough for him to attempt to ban TikTok through executive order. It is a shame that it has taken us this long to get there, but I am happy that we finally did.

I do not dispute anything that you have said, and I am certain that you know more about technology than I (it would be pretty hard not to). Still, just because we are faced with attacks on multiple fronts does not mean that we should choose to ignore the opportunity to stop a big one when the opportunity presents.

To put it another way, whatever intelligence reports Trump received in 2020 were concerning enough for him to attempt to ban TikTok through executive order. It is a shame that it has taken us this long to get there, but I am happy that we finally did.
It baffled me when he wanted to do it then just like it still baffles me now. The other issue going forward is what is the enforcement mechanism they plan on using that doesn't require even further digital surveillance than we already have? If someone uses a VPN to download the app anyway is the NSA going to report them? FBI going to show up and arrest them for using Tik Tok? Are they going to try and ban VPNs next?

Our LE is already stretched thin enough and hardly comes close to combatting online child abuse, now we want them to make sure people aren't watching silly tik tok videos?

And now the kids at University of Texas have joined the fray (assuming these are even students):

Pretty sure Texas will get things under control. Don’t Mess with Texas.

It baffled me when he wanted to do it then just like it still baffles me now. The other issue going forward is what is the enforcement mechanism they plan on using that doesn't require even further digital surveillance than we already have? If someone uses a VPN to download the app anyway is the NSA going to report them? FBI going to show up and arrest them for using Tik Tok? Are they going to try and ban VPNs next?

Our LE is already stretched thin enough and hardly comes close to combatting online child abuse, now we want them to make sure people aren't watching silly tik tok videos?
My understanding is that it does not target users at all, but rather the company that owns TikTok from being able to operate in the US, as well as app stores from distributing the app.

My understanding is that it does not target users at all, but rather the company that owns TikTok from being able to operate in the US, as well as app stores from distributing the app.
Right.... but if I use a VPN and place my location in a country outside the US and download the app that way, or side load the apk from an existing phone, and fire up a VPN when I want to use the app, what's the punishment going to be?

And again.... who is this protecting and from what?

You know what makes me so angry about the tik tok bill is that it is literally what Trump put in place and was held up in the courts. Back then Trump supporters were like “this is a great move”, “the right thing to do” Now that the Biden admin realized the error in not following through with the courts to get it through and call for it and push it through legislation they all cry 1st amendment. Since Trump said it was a bad idea now that Biden wants to do literally exactly what Trump pushed.

Also most people have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to TikTok and the CCP. It is literally spyware and it is used to push for the down fall of the west to young people. Let alone the psychological impact the app has had on the brain. This should not be a partisan issue. This is a clear black and white issue.

Yes other social media does some of the same things through algorithms but their apps are literally not spyware which TikTok is it has been shown to steal everything on your phone.

Anyone else cock an eye brow watching President Crapshispants bless himself with the sign of the cross while beating the drums for any and all abortions?

You know what makes me so angry about the tik tok bill is that it is literally what Trump put in place and was held up in the courts. Back then Trump supporters were like “this is a great move”, “the right thing to do” Now that the Biden admin realized the error in not following through with the courts to get it through and call for it and push it through legislation they all cry 1st amendment. Since Trump said it was a bad idea now that Biden wants to do literally exactly what Trump pushed.

Also most people have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to TikTok and the CCP. It is literally spyware and it is used to push for the down fall of the west to young people. Let alone the psychological impact the app has had on the brain. This should not be a partisan issue. This is a clear black and white issue.

Yes other social media does some of the same things through algorithms but their apps are literally not spyware which TikTok is it has been shown to steal everything on your phone.
I didn't support the move or understand it when Trump wanted to do it. As far as corrupting the minds of young people... again when they ban onlyfans, drag queen story hour, and puberty blockers for kids I'll take them seriously. Also yes, other apps take just as much data from your phone as tiktok does.

I think the concern was data collection.
I've read that as well, but all your user data that's collected from other apps on your phone as well as your internet browser can be collected on or purchased anyway.

1714005910420.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NormanFaws

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.