Please post your favourite 470 NE loads ..

The RCBS does crimp, that's what I run, however it is easy to crush some shoulders when setting it up. I think the FCD may be a better option.
I don’t even bother trying to crimp with seating dies and the FCD from Lee is well worth the investment.

Ordering the FCD from Lee is a pain. It should be noted however that you will need a press that can take the 1&1/4” dies….. such as the Lee classic cast press.

As for the stockpiling of components- Gathering a mass of components is great, but let’s not ignore the importance of LOT NUMBERS!

components(especially powder) can differ from lot to lot, so when I bought my .470 and confirmed the load I bought 8lbs of powder, 1,000primers & bullets.

Point being - I think the consistency of components is just as important as quantity.

I don’t even bother trying to crimp with seating dies and the FCD from Lee is well worth the investment.

Ordering the FCD from Lee is a pain. It should be noted however that you will need a press that can take the 1&1/4” dies….. such as the Lee classic cast press.

As for the stockpiling of components- Gathering a mass of components is great, but let’s not ignore the importance of LOT NUMBERS!

components(especially powder) can differ from lot to lot, so when I bought my .470 and confirmed the load I bought 8lbs of powder, 1,000primers & bullets.

Point being - I think the consistency of components is just as important as quantity.
I took a look at the RCBS video where it shows how you can crimp and seat at the same time..just an FYI

I aware and very familiar with it I just don’t care for either the process or results.

Trust me the Lee FCD is worth the investment.

I reload the .470 NE but have only used 515 gr. WFNGC bullets with Reloader 19. It takes a lot less powder to get to 2,150 with cast bullets than it does with jacketed.

Yes, expand and penetrate, long and straight, as advertised. I'm loading just over 1950. Barnes’ min/max for the TSX is ̴ 1750-2050. My double regulated best a little off max. The TSXs seem to load and penetrate like a 10-15% heavier lead-core (ie about like a 550-575 lead-core) – I think the former due to the longer shank but then the latter due to virtually no weight loss and lesser frontal surface area of the petals... and those petals are pretty sharp. I haven't recovered many, but the following was from a buff face-on at 65 yds – virtually full weight retention.

View attachment 507900
1r4rc,
Where in the buff did you find that one?
In the picture I posted the bullet on the left was found under the hide of his left rear quarter, entrance was just left of center on slightly quartering to frontal shot. I never did chronograph that 103 grain H1000 load, it shot well.
All bumping up the powder charge to 105 grains, Barnes book max, did is increase recoil but did not improve the group size. So, I went with what shot most accurate, and put it were it worked best.

I reload the .470 NE but have only used 515 gr. WFNGC bullets with Reloader 19. It takes a lot less powder to get to 2,150 with cast bullets than it does with jacketed.
How many grains of R-19 you use and where do you get your bullets from in 515 gr?

1r4rc,
Where in the buff did you find that one?
In the picture I posted the bullet on the left was found under the hide of his left rear quarter, entrance was just left of center on slightly quartering to frontal shot. I never did chronograph that 103 grain H1000 load, it shot well.
All bumping up the powder charge to 105 grains, Barnes book max, did is increase recoil but did not improve the group size. So, I went with what shot most accurate, and put it were it worked best.
Not really sure but I believe it was in the grass in the belly. Found it when done.

Great Info, that's a ton of supplies, but again we are talking of a lifetime supply, I have a long way to go once I have worked up my favorite load
Let me know. I can help you out!

Following and will contribute this spring when I work up mine!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.